PDA

View Full Version : Michelins wearing very fast

spykosshow
06-23-2010, 02:25 PM
I've got Michelin LTX A/T2 tires on my 2001 CTD. I bought them last February, and have since put about 14k on them. I had them rotated at 6k, and am having them rotated tomorrow. New, the tires have 17/32's on them. Currently, I have 2 tires that are 10/32 and 2 that are 9/32. When I bought them, Discount tire said they'd easily get 50k in their lifetime.

http://www.michelinman.com/images/tire-selector/tires/ltx-a-t2.jpg

Now I have 2 questions.

Does this sound to you all like they are wearing way too quickly? The outside lugs are down to here they're flat all around the tire (the tread depth on those two runs of lugs is about half the depth of the middle two runs of lugs).

Also, this past weekend I picked up a stick that was about 3/4 of an inch round stuck about 3/4 of an inch into the tread at an angle. It didn't puncture the tire, but I'm worried that the tire is now compromised - especially towing 8k lbs. I bought the road hazard warranty, so they are replacing this tire for free. My issue is that the since the other tire is worn so much and I have a limited slip rear stock, that it will screw with that.

Anyone have suggestions?

rstrucks
06-23-2010, 05:42 PM
With the massive weight of a diesel up front and not much weight in the back (typically) you have to rotate more often to even out tread wear As far as the overall rate of tread wear on those particular tires...... I'm not sure what is normal. What is the tread wear rating?

spykosshow
06-24-2010, 08:14 AM
With the massive weight of a diesel up front and not much weight in the back (typically) you have to rotate more often to even out tread wear As far as the overall rate of tread wear on those particular tires...... I'm not sure what is normal. What is the tread wear rating?

I would think that would be true, but the way that in my rotation schedule the rears have actually worn slightly more leads me to believe that this isn't the issue.

I'm running LT285/70/17/D's by the way.

indy242003
06-24-2010, 10:27 PM
I'm running the new Goodyear kevlar SA all terrains, to the sound of $250 a piece, on my tow rig, and hate them. They are 285/75/16E. I have run them for a little over a year and already had to have one replaced for a side wall issue. I could have bought a lot better tire for a lot less money. They are wearing very quickly.

spykosshow
06-24-2010, 11:47 PM
These were closer to 300. Thankfully my buddy worked there and worked me a great deal.

SirFuego
06-25-2010, 09:21 AM
What is your driving style like? That affects treadwear a LOT.

spykosshow
06-25-2010, 12:24 PM
What is your driving style like? That affects treadwear a LOT.

I mean I don't drive like a grandma, but I also don't drive it like a race car.