PDA

View Full Version : Best deadblow hammer

ATL ZJ
05-27-2010, 03:51 PM
What is the best deadblow hammer out there?

I have been using harbor freight's orange ones and the plastic is too brittle. They self destruct after only about 6 months of use.

Any recommendations? This is one tool I use a lot and I'd like to have a good one.

slim616
05-27-2010, 03:55 PM
grainger has one with screw on heads that last almost a year with using them to beat pavers in. Then when the heads were out we just replace the head.

CurtP
05-28-2010, 09:27 AM
I believe Harbor Freight has a lifetime warranty on their hand tools. You should be able to take it back and get a new one.

But I know that doesn't solve the problem. Unfortunately, I'm not sure that any of them will go the distance. We destroy them too and we've been through Craftsman, Mac and SnapOn. SnapOn was probably the most durable and they're available in 10, 20 and 30oz. I had the 30oz. I want their 8# dead-blow sledge, but it's $180.

SnapOn makes a plastic faced dead-blow (part number HSPI6KT) that is under the Blue Point brand. That might be your best bet since the heads are replaceable. Around $90. Only downside is the handle is 22oz which is on the small side.

MrFreeze5
05-28-2010, 10:44 AM
Ive had a 3# Stanley that Ive beat the ever living shit out of for years, and its still going strong. IIRC I got it from Home Depot for under $20. It is starting to get a tad wobbly, but still works fine.

ATL ZJ
05-28-2010, 10:50 AM
I think harbor freight would give me one out of sympathy if they saw the condition of my $7 hammer.

Joe, after you mentioned grainger, I took a look at mcmaster (they are like jegs and summit to me... with mcmaster having the better web catalog) and found a bunch of replaceable face deadblows. They're up there in price with the ones Curt mentioned though... I really wasn't expecting them to be this pricey, but I like the idea of being able to swap out a cheap insert rather than having to buy a completely new hammer every time.

zjeepin
05-28-2010, 11:21 AM
I think harbor freight would give me one out of sympathy if they saw the condition of my $7 hammer.

Joe, after you mentioned grainger, I took a look at mcmaster (they are like jegs and summit to me... with mcmaster having the better web catalog) and found a bunch of replaceable face deadblows. They're up there in price with the ones Curt mentioned though... I really wasn't expecting them to be this pricey, but I like the idea of being able to swap out a cheap insert rather than having to buy a completely new hammer every time.

keep in mind the no questions asked lifetime snap-on warranty.. you just have to find the snap-on man.. cobbie has the 30 oz snap-on and hasn't destroyed it in 3 years or so. what better testament do you need?

ATL ZJ
05-28-2010, 11:35 AM
keep in mind the no questions asked lifetime snap-on warranty.. you just have to find the snap-on man.. cobbie has the 30 oz snap-on and hasn't destroyed it in 3 years or so. what better testament do you need?

haha that's a helluva testimonial after seeing him "go cobbie" on more than one rusty ujoint.

biggoofy
09-22-2010, 04:58 PM
i have a snap on and although pricey i love it and it takes a beating

paulkeith
09-22-2010, 05:21 PM
FWIW, I think I bought a stanley or something from home depot. I dont remember what part it was, but I tried to get something free on my CJ a few years ago and went absolutely apeshit (went cobbie?) on the thing...used that hammer harder than i think I've ever used any hand tool in my life for a good hour to get this part loose, and it held up fine. Still in good condition.

Is your deadblow the one with ductape on it? I feel like i saw it.

edit: it was the spindle. trying to get the spindle off the knuckle. man was it on there.

SB406
09-23-2010, 10:54 AM
I personally don't even own one of those plastic deadblow jobbies. I prefer my stubby handle 4# mini-sledge for most things requiring a hammer. Smaller stuff gets the ball-peen.
If I have to hit something and not make a mark, I have a solid brass head hammer. If I require a deadblow, I use my solid lead headed hammer. Old Skool.

ATL ZJ
09-23-2010, 01:12 PM
Is your deadblow the one with ductape on it? I feel like i saw it.

Yep, I'm cheap like that...

I personally don't even own one of those plastic deadblow jobbies. I prefer my stubby handle 4# mini-sledge for most things requiring a hammer. Smaller stuff gets the ball-peen.
If I have to hit something and not make a mark, I have a solid brass head hammer. If I require a deadblow, I use my solid lead headed hammer. Old Skool.

I would do the same thing if I lived way out in the country and noise was not an issue, but one of the nice things about plastic deadblows is they're quiet. With the odd hours I sometimes work on my rig, the deadblow is a lot more considerate for the neighbors.

SB406
09-23-2010, 04:23 PM
Good point.