PDA

View Full Version : Fixing a Trailer Jack

SirFuego
04-12-2010, 04:55 PM
So I know very little about trailer jacks.

What typically causes them to become difficult to turn? Mine is welded to the tongue of my trailer, so I'm hoping I'd be able to come across some replacement parts instead of getting a whole new jack.

I think (part of) my problem is the jack handle seems to be rubbing against the top of the jack tube (spraying some PB blaster helps the resistance, bit it's still tough to turn) -- so some replacement hardware for the jack handle is probably in store.

Can you somehow regrease them, too? I'm not really sure how much can be done to "rebuild" a generic trailer jack.

Ramsport59
04-12-2010, 08:34 PM
Jacks are so cheap now a days it isnt worth rebuilding. I just picked up a 5k for $30 shipped on feebay. I'd cut the welds.

Rick

slim616
04-12-2010, 10:59 PM
its not a true fix but if you get wd40 down were the gears are inside the jack it will help. Then after a while it will just strip out. Best thing ive found to do is buy a jack that is twice as much as you need and it will last alot longer. also try not to use them when the trailer is loaded to max compacity.

K2
05-01-2010, 05:57 PM
There should be some grease in there somewhere, my guess yours is fresh out. If the gears are still good you should be able to re-grease them and get it back to normal. If not I am guessing it would be easier to replace.

SirFuego
08-14-2010, 05:27 PM
Just to update this, on my way to Harlan, I ended up bendnig the crap out of it when I bottomed it out leaving a gas station, so I didn't really leave myself much of a choice. I picked up a 5000lb Bulldog A frame jack from TSC and also picked up a caster for the bottom which makes things 200x easier rolling it into and out of my garage.

I think my original problem was a lack of lube in the gears (WD40 seemed to help a bit) and it being slightly bent because it would get more difficult to turn as it got further out.

chadjans
08-20-2010, 12:43 AM
I would bet yours had a slight bend to it.

The A-frame jacks usually unbolt from the A.

Did you consider doing a stowable one to get it up and out of the way?