PDA

View Full Version : New Offroad Park in PA!!

SirFuego
03-18-2010, 10:14 PM
I saw this on another board, but I figured I'd post this since this is news you don't hear everyday :D

I just got this email from NORA (National Off Road Association)

"You just don't see this everyday" says Pearse Umlauf, Founder & CEO of the National Off-Road Association. "We see many trails being closed across the United States, most recently the Upper Tellico OHV area, but it's very rare to see new trails being open".
Northumberland County located in central Pennsylvania has decided to do just that; open over 6,000 acres of old coal mining land to the public for the intended use of off-highway vehicle (OHV) recreation.
"The Northumberland County Commissioners deserve a thumbs-up and our full support on this project", says Off-Road Hall of Famer, Mark A. Smith and Founder of Jeep Jamboree USA. "Years ago in California, El Dorado County officials got involved with keeping the Rubicon Trail open and today it generates an estimated 30 million into the local community. Now that's an investment worth making".
Barry Yorwarth a local resident of Northumberland County spearheaded this idea a few years ago. He has been working closely with county officials to help them make this project a reality. "I got the idea back in 2005 when I was the co-pilot for Tom Lawlor at the Top Truck Challenge in Hollister Hills, CA", says Yorwarth, "I said to myself; we've got some land like this back in Pennsylvania, why can't we do something like this?". Barry's dad bought him his first Jeep (CJ-5) when he was just 13 years old. Today Barry owns (5) Unimogs and a few Jeeps. "The park is designed to be open for all motorized users not just full-size vehicles, everyone's welcome. The county is planning to have onsite camping as well as parking for RV's".
"It's great to see the County Commissioners of Northumberland take such a proactive leap forward" states Pearse Umlauf. "The local communities and residents will benefit tremendously from the development of this park. The park is an economic "center of commerce" for local businesses not to mention the potential jobs it'll create. OHV enthusiasts from across the United States will flock to this new park just for the opportunity to run new trails. This park will allow individuals to recreate in a safe, dedicated environment."
The National Off-Road Association will keep you up-to-date on any news and developments on this new OHV Park. Stay tuned.
And here is a news story someone else found that is likely related:
http://newsitem.com/news/county-set-to-take-next-step-for-off-road-park-1.681347
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Zerbe+township,+pa&sll=40.456234,-79.923252&sspn=0.003176,0.004823&gl=us&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Zerbe,+Northumberland,+Pennsylvania&ll=40.772352,-76.652813&spn=0.404563,0.617294&t=h&z=11

SirFuego
08-09-2010, 05:10 PM
There was a recent meeting about this park and so far the response seems generally positive, but there are of course a bunch of logistical questions that they are sorting through, but this is looking very promising.

For the Facebookers, they have a page with a couple discussion topics they've started and are asking for feedback from everyone.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Northumberland-County-OHV-Park/141351402542490

For those without facebook, you can simply email:
Kathy Jeremiah - OHV Park Coordinator kathy.jeremiah@norrycopa.net (kathy.jeremiah@norrycopa.net)

There is also a petition that has recently started up. I'm not sure how much this will help, but I suppose every little bit helps.
http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/northumberlandohvpark/

Sudz
03-12-2012, 10:03 AM
latest news..

Kaleta said Pennsylvania Natural Diversity Inventory (PNDI) studies performed in conjunction with the project identified at least two endangered species on the property, including the Allegheny wood rat and at least one species of bat, which classified the project area as "critical and unique."