PDA

View Full Version : Size of your trailer

BigClay
03-17-2010, 01:24 PM
I looking at purchasing a trailer to haul my ZJ around on. What size trailers do you guys have? What is the "ideal" size trailer for a ZJ. I need a pretty light one because I will be towing with a Chevy Tahoe with a 350 in it.

CrawlerReady
03-17-2010, 01:35 PM
I think 16' would be the shortest you can go. Dual 3500# axles is the minimum you can go. Brakes on at least 1 axle preferred.

I just sold my 16'x7' 7000# trailer because I don't think it would handle the weight of the ZJ well enough. I feel that I'd be bending the axles ever couple trips. The trailer itself weighed in at 1600#, which left 5400# load capacity. My ZJ before this past project weighed in at 5340#, just to give you an idea. My guess is I'm pushing 5800# now.

Ideally you want 10%-15% spare capacity on the axles and tires. I'd recommend a load range "D" tire, my old trailer had "C" and they wore horrible.

So I guess what I'm getting at is, IMO, at 10000#, 16'x7', dual axle brakes is ideal for a ZJ.

FWIW my new trailer is an 18'x7' 10000#, dual axle brakes and weighs in at 2200#. edit: Oh and I paid $2400 for it with the spare....which for a brand new trailer, is a good deal these days.

zjeepin
03-17-2010, 01:35 PM
my trailer is has an 18ft deck on it and is roughly 72 inches between the fenders... ideally you want to be able to drive between your fenders but i have to drive over mine... i got a screamin deal on the trailer so its worth it to deal with the width issue..

most car trailers are 16ft long decks and 80" or so wide.. you can get aluminum trailers that are effin sweet but they are expensive too. just do your homework and shop for a long time before you buy, there are normally deals to be had on trailers if you are patient

ATL ZJ
03-17-2010, 01:53 PM
I paid $900 for mine about 4-5 years ago. It has an aluminum deck that you can hear rattle from a mile away and the axles are bent so it eats a tire or two every few thousand miles.

But it does have brakes on both axles and a nice 2- 5/16" coupler... and a hand winch, which is great for cinching down the suspension to get rid of the small amount of body roll my rig has.

The deck on mine is about 78" wide I think and I had to widen it in the front to be around 85". My rear tires hang off a few inches on each side and I have to drive over the tires (no fenders) when loading/unloading. One of the brake lights works all the time and the other one works intermittently. Want to buy a trailer? :smt037

CrawlerReady
03-17-2010, 01:55 PM
^ HA nice. Yeah my deck width is 83" (although it's advertised as 7'). My ass end is 81.5" wide and the front will be about 86" wide. I'll have to strengthen the driver side fender so I can drive over it.

SirFuego
03-17-2010, 03:43 PM
I would say 18' is ideal because it gives you the best flexibility, but you can get away with a 16'. I've towed with an 18' trailer before and I didn't notice much difference in terms of maneuverability.

That said, I have a 16' trailer -- which is a pefect size now for my bobbed ZJ. However, when it was full-bodied, the tailgate was really close to the back of the trailer when the tongue weight was perfect. This meant that tying it down by the bumper wasn't an option because the tie downs were almost vertical, which doesn't stop the rig from moving front and back.

As a result, I started to tie the rig down by the axles and am much happier. The rig doesn't go anywhere (even slamming on the brakes) and the suspension of the ZJ sucks up the bumps on the trailer and gives a smoother ride. With onramps, I do notice the sway of the ZJ, but I don't tow like a crazy man, so it's manageable. I have had to make emergency maneuvers without any problems resulting from the sway of the Jeep.

CrawlerReady
03-17-2010, 03:53 PM
I use 4 straps for my ZJ. 1 for the front axle to keep it from rolling backwards when accelerating, 1 for the rear axle to keep it from rolling forward when braking, 1 on the front bumper to suck down the front suspension, and 1 on the rear bumper to suck down the rear suspension.

I personally don't think it's very safe to not strap the body down due to body roll. Even if you feel the ZJ has a stiff suspension and can handle it's own, in that split second that you have to swerve out of the way of an oncoming vehicle that the driver has fallen asleep at the wheel or (insert any other scenario that requires you to swerve), the body roll of the ZJ will be enough to take control of the trailer, most likely causing you to lose control of your vehicle. Just my .02 though.

BigClay
03-17-2010, 04:22 PM
Cool. Looks like 18' is going to be perfect, but 16' will do.

Trailer braking system is next on the list. What do you guys run, proportional or time delayed?

On the Tahoe, I have a stock tranny cooler, I have upgraded the front rotors to slotted and dimpled, and new EBC yellow pads. The rear is factory drums. I know this is not the ideal setup, but it is the best I have right now. Any other upgrades to consider?

ATL ZJ
03-17-2010, 04:25 PM
What is proportional and what is time delayed? I just run a prodigy controller and plug the trailer in...

You should probably look into a weight distributing hitch if you haven't already.

paulkeith
03-17-2010, 04:37 PM
i think proportional applies a braking force to the trailer proportional to the decel of the tow rig, and time-delayed units apply the pre-set force a certain time after the pedal is depressed? a tekonsha prodigy is a proportional controller.

Zombie
03-17-2010, 06:45 PM
You should probably look into a weight distributing hitch if you haven't already.

This..

I towed a 7000 pound house trailer a few times with my 96 Yukon I had before my 5.9. I wouldn't EVERY want to do that without a good weight distributing hitch, and possibly a set of bags. My yukon didn't have bags, but I'm spoiled now from towing with a cummins dodge that has them.

I'd say its a combination of weight and wheelbase, but that Yukon was kind of squirelly... Look into an equalizer.

LouisianaZJ
03-17-2010, 11:45 PM
I have an 18 ft deck lowboy dovetail trailer (16ft+ 2 ft dove), w/ 82" betwen fenders... 102" ouside fenders so it is at max permitted width

Want to add brakes to the second axle....

rstrucks
03-18-2010, 12:10 AM
Mines an 18 ft (16 + 2) as well. It is at or near the weight limit with the two 3500lb axles. My ZJ is too fat! You could definitely get by with a 16 footer though.

LouisianaZJ
03-27-2010, 05:47 PM
http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/7929/awol018.th.jpg (http://img88.imageshack.us/i/awol018.jpg/)
obligatory poser pic

cLAYH
08-04-2010, 02:45 PM
I've got 3 trialers I use depending on what I'm doing.

The first trailer I bought has a super long tongue and a 12ft deck. It was designed to pull a bobcat behind a dump truck and still let the truck be able to dump by jack knifing the trailer. ZJ just fits on there with the front bumper hanging way over the tongue.

Next trailer is an 18ft H&H tilt deck. Fits the Jeep nicely and I can even have my quad on the deck behind the ZJ. I've even had my 1ton, diesel, dually crew cab long box on it for an emergency recovery. It has a warn 4500# winch on it for sucking dead things up onto it. Its a great all round general purpose trailer for vehicle hauling. Wish it had heavier axles though. I did upgrade to D range tires, the "c"s were crap.

Now I have the redneck toy hauler, 30ft GN with a 16ft GN mounted on the front half leaving 14 feet of deck for the ZJ(rear bumper hangs off the back).

I always tie down with chain/boomers by the axles and have never been bothered by body roll.

So if you want to ONLY tow the ZJ with the smallest/lightest possible trailer go 14ft. If you want a bit of extra room for a storage box or other gear go 16ft. 7000# axles are fine but upgrade to D range tires for better durability.

Tommy
08-06-2010, 12:10 AM
Here is the trailer I built. Overkill yes, large enough for just about any rig.

20' long and 102.75" wide.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y124/Tommy_M/ATT438531.jpg

Winch is a good thing to have and the next mod for this trailer, although I have used the winch on the jeep with a snatch block for recovery before. I also store two sets of ramps, one long, one short, a full spare, and a shit load of tools/parts/fireworks in the box.

SB406
08-06-2010, 02:17 PM
I always tie down with chain/boomers by the axles and have never been bothered by body roll.

So if you want to ONLY tow the ZJ with the smallest/lightest possible trailer go 14ft. If you want a bit of extra room for a storage box or other gear go 16ft. 7000# axles are fine but upgrade to D range tires for better durability.

I agree with this.
If you want to go lightweight, a 14 ft open center deck will work perfect. This is how we used to drag the race car around.

I currently have an 18 ft full diamond plate deck trailer that I built. Tandem 6000# axles with brakes on both, load range F tires. It weighs 2450#. I do a lot more than haul my 4x4 around with it. I designed it to have drop in sides for hauling scrap, firewood, or whatever you want. The ramps are attached on the back to help with the ol "ramp kick out scenerio" and the ass is dovetailed to help ground clearance on low cars. Fenders are made to drive over/ have cars dropped on them at the scrap yard. M8000 on the front is a life saver.
If you only have 1 need for your trailer, shop accordingly. I have many needs, so I have a bigger unit. There have been a few times when the tow rig has been unhooked from the trailer, put on the trailer, and towed home by something else. :smt043

SirFuego
08-06-2010, 02:29 PM

I'm going to respectfully disagree with this as I would recommend a 16' trailer as the minimum for a full-bodied ZJ. You probably could fit a ZJ on a 14' trailer, but I'm not sure how close you could get the tongue weight to "ideal" (or even "safe" for that matter) without having part of the Jeep overhang the front or back of the trailer. Having an "ideal" tongue weight is key for longer trips and is not something I would want to give up just to save a few pounds. Maybe it's because I tow with a 1/2 ton, but I know when my tongue weight is off and if it's off by too much, I can feel the trailer pushing my truck around -- which it doesn't do when the tongue weight is dialed in.

I would be very curious to see pics of ZJs on a 14' trailer and how it handled on the road to see if I am off base with my thinking here.

SB406
08-06-2010, 02:36 PM
The ass of the ZJ doesn't need to be over the deck. Just the tires. The deck between the back tires of the ZJ and the trailer tail lights is wasted space if you don't have flip up ramps. Go to the local circle track. Every car coming in is hanging off the ass of the trailer. Same goes for almost every U-Haul you see going down the highway.

ZJ's aren't that big. When you put a 79 4 door Lincoln Continental on a 16 ft trailer with flip up ramps, you have trouble.

cLAYH
08-08-2010, 05:31 PM
SB406 is right, you can have the front/back end hanging over or behind the rear of the deck to get it centered where you like it. As I said my first trailer had a 12ft deck with rear flip up ramps and I had no problem balancing the ZJ on it, just hung the front over the tongue which was no problem on that trailer as it had a REALLY long tongue.

Track length on a ZJ is actually less than 10ft. So theoretically it could sit on a 10ft deck but it would be pretty tough to tie down and get decent angles on the chains. 14 ft would give LOTS of room for balancing and chaining. I often haul my ZJ on my 18ft with my quad on the back sitting sideways.

Here is a pic of my current setup. It is 14ft from the back of the RV to the end of the deck. This gives you an idea of what a ZJ looks like on a 14ft deck. On a regular trailer the ZJ could be rolled forward to hang over the tongue for more tongue weight.

I could roll the ZJ about another foot forward to reduce the rear overhang but I find where it is there puts less hitch weight on the truck and it rides better.

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u92/clayhardock/ToyHauler%20Build/DSC_3614.jpg

cLAYH
08-08-2010, 05:35 PM
SB406, I know what you mean about having a trailer to do it all. Here is my tow rig on the trailer it normally tows.

Thats only an 18ft deck BTW....

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u92/clayhardock/2003%20Ddoge%20Dually/DSCN1694.jpg

SB406
08-09-2010, 09:58 AM
Nice.
Every one of my tow rigs has come home from the auction on the trailer it was going to be towing. I usually make a point of getting a picture of the old tow rig pulling the new one home and the new one taking the old to the junk yard. I dropped the ball on this last tow rig change, but here's a pic from a few years ago.
http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q159/sb406/th_6-9-07001.jpg (http://s135.photobucket.com/albums/q159/sb406/?action=view&current=6-9-07001.jpg)
http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q159/sb406/th_6-9-07003.jpg (http://s135.photobucket.com/albums/q159/sb406/?action=view&current=6-9-07003.jpg)

cLAYH
08-28-2010, 03:57 PM
I would be very curious to see pics of ZJs on a 14' trailer and how it handled on the road to see if I am off base with my thinking here.

Was looking at some old pics and found some of my old trailer(12ft deck) with my sister's ZJ on it. As you can see its on the trailer backwards because of the flip up ramps. My old XJ used to fit facing forward but the ZJ was just a bit longer and the ramps would hit the rear window. Other trialers I've had didn't like vehicles being loaded backwards but this one didn't seem to care, probably because of the long toungue.

Anyway this shows what a ZJ looks like on a 12ft deck so you can imagine how much more room there would be with a 14ft deck. The truck towing it is a 2001 Dodge 1500.

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u92/clayhardock/Trailers/P1010093.jpg

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u92/clayhardock/Trailers/P1010094.jpg

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u92/clayhardock/Trailers/P1010095.jpg

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u92/clayhardock/Trailers/P1010096.jpg

BLK97ZJ
08-29-2010, 06:59 PM
16' ringo
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b361/hornet1224/jeeptrailer.jpg

chadjans
08-30-2010, 01:20 AM
14 foot is not long enough. And that 12 foot setup is scary. Min size for a ZJ is a 16 foot. And towing with the load with engine in the back does not give you enough tongue weight.

JordanA
08-30-2010, 09:18 AM
14 foot is not long enough. And that 12 foot setup is scary. Min size for a ZJ is a 16 foot. And towing with the load with engine in the back does not give you enough tongue weight.

Why is 16' the minimum?

chadjans
08-31-2010, 02:35 AM
http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u92/clayhardock/Trailers/P1010093.jpg

16' ringo
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b361/hornet1224/jeeptrailer.jpg

Why is 16' the minimum?

Compare these two photos. 12' the car is in your lap. The trailer will wonder because it is too short. A ZJ and WJ, the B pilar is generally centered between the two axles. This leaves too much tongue weight with such a short trailer.

JordanA
08-31-2010, 09:17 AM
So, basically with our Jeeps you'd want a trailer that when loaded, centers the B piller between the two axles.

Good to know.

SB406
08-31-2010, 09:34 AM
All of these Grand Cherokee "rules of thumb" are cracking me up.
I don't care what the load looks like, how long the trailer deck is, or where the roof supports are. If your tow rig is heavy enough, the load fits on the deck, and you have roughly 15% tongue weight, you're good to go. Yes, a longer deck will give you more adjustability, but it is not always needed.

jsteves
08-31-2010, 09:49 AM
There is no way you had 15% tongue weight with the ZJ backwards on what looks like a boat trailer decked.

SirFuego
08-31-2010, 09:56 AM
you have roughly 15% tongue weight, you're good to go.

I think this is what Chad was getting at -- you might able to get it to fit, but might not be able to get the tongue weight right.

Either way, I was unaware that cars were allowed to overhang the back with my previous comment, so I see no problem as long as you can get the tongue weight dialed in.

That said, to ballpark the tongue weight, I usually just look to see if my truck is level. The rear springs sit a bit higher from the factory and "leveling out" the truck seems to do the trick. I've towed my Jeep enough times to know exactly where the Jeep needs to go, though, so it's easy to get the right tongue weight.

SB406
08-31-2010, 09:58 AM
I'm not saying that the backwards ZJ was correct. I don't know the weight bias on a ZJ. But it may be possible to get it correct. I have had vehicles on my trailer backwards with proper towing weight, but I have a longer trailer and can drag them forward more.

jsteves
08-31-2010, 10:15 AM
I'm not saying that the backwards ZJ was correct. I don't know the weight bias on a ZJ. But it may be possible to get it correct. I have had vehicles on my trailer backwards with proper towing weight, but I have a longer trailer and can drag them forward more.

right...so a 12 foot deck with the ZJ backwards would not allow ample tongue weight.

SirFuego
08-31-2010, 10:43 AM
right...so a 12 foot deck with the ZJ backwards would not allow ample tongue weight.
I think all SB406 is saying is that he wouldn't know until he tries.

Even that said, heavy bumpers, axles, and trail tools can possibly throw off the weight distribution, too, so what may work for one ZJ might not work for another.

My opinion is that if you are looking to buy a trailer, get at least a 16' or 18' because that gives you the most flexibility for when you do make changes (i.e. bumper swaps, axle swaps, tubing) that might alter your weight distribution. You might be able to get away with a smaller trailer, but I wouldn't consider it unless I could do a "test drive" with the ZJ loaded. For the record, I've never towed the Jeep with anything less than a 16' trailer.

SB406
08-31-2010, 11:16 AM
I think all SB406 is saying is that he wouldn't know until he tries.

Yep.
If I were to build a new trailer again, I'd probably keep my 18 foot and build another 14 foot with open center deck and no attached ramps. I'd build it for the sole purpose of hauling the buggy. My 18 ft is heavy.

BigDaveZJ
08-31-2010, 12:24 PM
If you already have a 12' or 14' trailer and can make it work, that's one thing, but if you're going out and buying one get a 16' or bigger.

My 16' trailer worked great for my ZJ, as well as several other ZJs, XJs, and a WK. It was just a 7k lb trailer though, so we were always flirting with full capacity. My current trailer is 26' so there's no issues there. And I have airbags on the truck so I have a lot of adjustibility with tongue weight for different loads.

cLAYH
09-04-2010, 11:10 AM
Exactly. The the 12ft trailer was my first trailer and got it cheap when I really needed one. When I went to replace it I bought an 18ft deck so I could haul other stuff than my ZJ.

As to it not hauling well with the ZJ on backwards I can assure you it hauls VERY well. The trailer was originally built as a bobcat trailer to haul behind a dump truck. It has an extremely long tongue so that that trailer could be jack knifed and and the dump truck dumped. The wheels are set back farther on that trailer than most others. There is plenty of tongue weight even with it backwards.

I've done a few trips thru the rockies into BC both towing that trailer and following my sister while she was towing it and have never seen it bob or sway.

Now my 18ft tilt deck on the other hand I absolutly can not load a car on it backwards or it will start to sway. The wheels on it are set a bit farther forward than normal to allow for less angle when it tilts.

CerberusZJ
11-16-2010, 06:21 PM
Just to throw in my $0.02, I also use a 14' flatbed to tow my ZJ and it has worked very well for me every time i have taken it out. i can get a good balance, no swaying or bobbing, very well mannered.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y276/cerberuszj33/cars/flatbed/IMG00182-20090929-1749.jpg

I also beat the crap out of the trailer every fall collecting firewood, about 16 cords/yr, at about 2.5 - 3 cords per trip.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y276/cerberuszj33/cars/flatbed/2010-01-31154926.jpg

I wish i had a 20' trailer, but this trailer fell into my lap for dirt cheap, and after some welding, painting, lighting and decking... she works pretty well.

SB406
11-17-2010, 11:06 AM
Yeah multi-purpose! I can squeeze 5 face cord on mine. 18' deck. Drop tail.
:D
http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q159/sb406/th_Wood006.jpg (http://s135.photobucket.com/albums/q159/sb406/?action=view&current=Wood006.jpg)