PDA

View Full Version : What is the game plan if it snows?

S-10 Seanzy
02-15-2010, 09:40 PM
Just seeing what everybody's options are. I have a 2wd tow rig, so if there is much snow I will be out. That thing is scary as shit in the snow without an extra 7k lbs behind it. Trey and I were talking this one over earlier as we are both in the same situation(well his may not have come from the factory as a 2wd:flipoff2:). I don't know what the road/trail conditions are down that way. A guy on Pirate said he was up there the other day and it was covered in snow. Anywho, what are you guys feelin?

ATL ZJ
02-15-2010, 09:53 PM
I don't care about the weather- I'm going. Isn't TN supposed to have plows? ;)

Last year it snowed a little and nothing stuck except for at higher elevations. Besides, we have a warm cabin to stay in right? Seriously though, the cabin is just outside oliver springs, which I would expect to have all the roads cleared...

S-10 Seanzy
02-15-2010, 09:55 PM
A warm cabin doesn't do me any good if I can't get to it. And I'm certainly not driving 2 1/2 hours with no doors or a windshield!

scott
02-15-2010, 09:56 PM
The roads all the way to windrock road will be fine unless there is like a foot of snow, the cabin is less than a mile from the main hwy. you should be fine especially since you are not that far away, bristol tn. right?

OverkillZJ
02-15-2010, 09:57 PM
You need chains for that 2wd rig - you'd be AMAZED at the weather you can pull through with chains on the back tires and 1000 lbs over that axle - plenty of traction!

I put on a good show leaving Paragon in a 2wd suburban, 4wd duallies pulling lighter rigs weren't moving, but I was going fine in 2wd.. CHAINS!

jdconti9484
02-15-2010, 10:01 PM
We will be there no matter what. Both of our tow rigs are 4wd.

UTChavok
02-15-2010, 10:04 PM
We will be camping, but definitely going no matter what. Most of us drive the jeeps up there but a few of us are towing. Going to be a blast.

IndyZJ
02-15-2010, 10:44 PM
You need chains for that 2wd rig - chains on the back tires and 1000 lbs over that axle - plenty of traction! CHAINS!

CHAINS!

quoted for truth

Heated snowmobile suites are the shit for driving an open rig in cold weather.

S-10 Seanzy
02-15-2010, 11:12 PM
The roads all the way to windrock road will be fine unless there is like a foot of snow, the cabin is less than a mile from the main hwy. you should be fine especially since you are not that far away, bristol tn. right?

Yeah, I'm coming from Bristol. That's good news.

SirFuego
02-16-2010, 01:24 AM
Like I said before, I'm out if the weather looks bad. Although I'm really only looking at weather for Thursday and Monday weather since those are my travel days. That forecast seems to change every day, but who knows.

Depending how cold it is, the snow could quickly turn into ice on the trails. That means that rock gardens turn into "keep pointing and keep shooting until you reach the end of the obstacle" :-)

Simo
02-16-2010, 11:56 AM
I have a 2wd tow rig, so if there is much snow I will be out.

Wheres your squirrels?

Rev it up and drop the clutch, itll be aight.
Just Bump It. Get em warm. and Give er mail.

Cable em.

slim616
02-16-2010, 10:26 PM
You need chains for that 2wd rig - you'd be AMAZED at the weather you can pull through with chains on the back tires and 1000 lbs over that axle - plenty of traction!

I put on a good show leaving Paragon in a 2wd suburban, 4wd duallies pulling lighter rigs weren't moving, but I was going fine in 2wd.. CHAINS!

x2, i had chains on my daully this last snow with 4wd. i got some looks pulling almost 12k pound trailer with about 3k over my rear axle in 19" of snow down the road. With out the trailer I could go everywere in 2wd that others could go in 4wd with out chains.