PDA

View Full Version : GSSE Oh-10

SirFuego
01-11-2010, 05:50 PM
Will the (tentative) date be July 30-Aug1 this year? I know it won't be set in stone for another couple months, but it seems that it's on the same weekend every year, so I just want to know which weekend it tentatively will be.

I'm trying to figure out my big wheeling trips this year and would like to make it to GSSE. With all the crap I'll have going on this year, I'd like to commit a weekend to this very soon so I can give this priority over other stuff that might crop up.

ATL ZJ
01-11-2010, 06:00 PM
Yes. July 30-August 1. Harlan, KY.

The first weekend of august tradition is getting pretty deep rooted, but this year and last year, it's been sort of confusing because of the overlap with July.

Hope to see more new faces in '10. This really is my favorite wheeling trip of the year.

SirFuego
01-11-2010, 06:04 PM
it's been sort of confusing because of the overlap with July.

Thanks. That was the main reason I asked. I thought it was traditionally the first weekend in August, but I wasn't sure what the "first weekend in August" meant when the months overlapped :-)

Now let's see if my D30 can survive a trip to Harlan since the tons aren't going in like I had hoped. I'll be taking it easy this year.

EDIT: I guess we can now say that it's the "Weekend with the first Sunday in August" :-)

BigClay
01-11-2010, 07:29 PM
I am going this year, glad to see the date so far in advance. I will take those days off tomorrow once I get into work.

Question do most poeple get there Thursday evening or Friday?

SirFuego
01-11-2010, 07:31 PM
I'm planning to get there Thurs night and head back on Monday. I might try to head back Sunday night, but it's likely I'll get a hotel somewhere if folks aren't camping Sunday night.

ATL ZJ
01-11-2010, 07:40 PM
Most of us will roll in Thursday night. A few who are more local usually make the drive over on Friday morning and then camp the next 2 nights.

BigClay
01-11-2010, 07:56 PM
Is it primitive camping?

ATL ZJ
01-11-2010, 08:03 PM
Is it primitive camping?

Joe will say VERY. :smt037

There are water and electric hookups at every campsite and there's a bath house and a diner within 100 yards of your tent. So you're not really roughing it but it's not the pinnacle of luxury either.

slim616
01-11-2010, 09:49 PM

lol, lets just say it makes for an interesting time with the monsoons we had;)

As long as nothing major goes wrong I shall be down on thur with matt and nick again.

SirFuego
01-11-2010, 09:52 PM
There are water and electric hookups at every campsite and there's a bath house and a diner within 100 yards of your tent. So you're not really roughing it but it's not the pinnacle of luxury either.

Sounds a little more fancy than Big Dogs. Well, Big Dogs has those amenities, but they aren't exactly close to camp. Then again Big Dogs has a great lake you can swim in after a nice day of wheeling :-)

BigClay
01-12-2010, 10:02 AM

That sounds pretty luxurious to me, at least compared to hiking in somewhere and pitching a tent in the middle of no where. :D

Heck if you can drive up to the campsite, I will just sleep in the Tahoe.

zjeepin
01-12-2010, 11:25 AM

The first weekend of august tradition is getting pretty deep rooted, but this year and last year, it's been sort of confusing because of the overlap with July.

Hope to see more new faces in '10. This really is my favorite wheeling trip of the year.

SaWeeet.. our trail passes from last year will still be valid!

you gonna have your rig done in time cam? (sorry had to do it)

slim616
01-12-2010, 08:35 PM
Sounds a little more fancy than Big Dogs. Well, Big Dogs has those amenities, but they aren't exactly close to camp. Then again Big Dogs has a great lake you can swim in after a nice day of wheeling :-)

Lets just say this camp ground is totally different then big dogs, just imagine camping in a small store parking lot next to a sewage treatment plant:)

Sudz
01-12-2010, 08:42 PM
just imagine camping in a small store parking lot next to a sewage treatment plant:)
sounds lovely

rstrucks
01-12-2010, 08:53 PM
There is always the cabin rentals just a couple of minutes up the road too. I stayed there last year and it was nice to have a warm, dry place to crash. The private bathroom and clean shower was nice too. I'll probably stay there again this year. They are on the small side though.

http://www.blackmountainrentals.com/

slim616
01-12-2010, 09:42 PM
There is always the cabin rentals just a couple of minutes up the road too. I stayed there last year and it was nice to have a warm, dry place to crash. The private bathroom and clean shower was nice too. I'll probably stay there again this year. They are on the small side though.

http://www.blackmountainrentals.com/

I think mandy and nick have a cabin already booked;)

But in all honesty the lot wasn't that bad if you new what to expect. now i know what it's all about so things should go a little smoother this year.

zukinut
01-15-2010, 11:23 PM
Not sure whos wife it was, but dont ask her opinion of the campground, it wasnt pleasant, at least not from what i i heard while laying in my tent. :)

Its not bad tho, i personally really like it.

Will

MoonWorks
01-15-2010, 11:38 PM
Not sure whos wife it was, but dont ask her opinion of the campground, it wasnt pleasant, at least not from what i i heard while laying in my tent. :)

I think mandy and nick have a cabin already booked;)

It was these 2 ladies Will! :smt042

zukinut
01-16-2010, 01:25 PM
I was laughin my ass off hearin them fussin. My tent door FELL OFF during the monsoon.

slim616
01-16-2010, 07:10 PM
The best is when that big gust of wind came through pick up our easy up off our tent and proceeded to spear the leg through nicks tent, then taking his tent down in the process.

Yea lets just say shes not used to the tent thing, we normally haul the camper with us. Hopefully this year i'll have my gooseneck with me and be able to haul the jeep and camper at the same time.

SirFuego
01-17-2010, 07:42 PM
So as part of one of my contracts at work, I am expected to go to a summer conference that is normally held at the beginning of July. Just checked on the dates and the conference is July 26-29 -- in Scotland.

ATL ZJ
01-18-2010, 10:00 PM
So as part of one of my contracts at work, I am expected to go to a summer conference that is normally held at the beginning of July. Just checked on the dates and the conference is July 26-29 -- in Scotland.

Get a buddy to tow your rig down to Cincinnati the morning of 30th and take British Airways flight 1493 from glasgow through london and chicago to connect with American Airlines flight 99 to cincy. You'd get into evarts before dark with time to night run and wheel sat/sun. :smt037

Of course there's always 2011.

zjeepin
01-18-2010, 11:04 PM
Get a buddy to tow your rig down to Cincinnati the morning of 30th and take British Airways flight 1493 from glasgow through london and chicago to connect with American Airlines flight 99 to cincy. You'd get into evarts before dark with time to night run and wheel sat/sun. :smt037

Of course there's always 2011.

holy shit dude, you spent some time on that one

ATL ZJ
01-18-2010, 11:30 PM
holy shit dude, you spent some time on that one

Ha not really. 5 mins on expedia

Gotta take a break from staring at PCM wiring diagrams you know?

SirFuego
01-19-2010, 12:34 AM
Haha. Although I'd still be on British time. Who else would be up for wheeling at 4AM then finishing by 4PM?

zjeepin
01-19-2010, 12:12 PM
Ha not really. 5 mins on expedia

Gotta take a break from staring at PCM wiring diagrams you know?

better you than me..

Haha. Although I'd still be on British time. Who else would be up for wheeling at 4AM then finishing by 4PM?

you are clearly unfamiliar with the gsse crowd.. hell we'd wheel 24/7 if our junk would hold together long enough..

zukinut
01-19-2010, 08:46 PM
you are clearly unfamiliar with the gsse crowd.. hell we'd wheel 24/7 if our junk would hold together long enough..[/QUOTE]

That pretty much sums it up.

Will

bnboffroad
02-04-2010, 08:10 PM
im ready i just got to get a few little things like new tent new tarp oh and new motor how could i forget that:D

BigClay
03-12-2010, 12:04 PM
Just made a reservation at the Black Mountain Cabins for 7/30 and 7/31!

MUDDTRACKS
03-16-2010, 01:54 AM
I plan on being resident drunk again in the parking lot :) Hope to have a few friends from down here going.

zjeepin
03-16-2010, 09:23 AM
I plan on being resident drunk again in the parking lot :) Hope to have a few friends from down here going.

haha, sweet. glad to hear your planning on making it!

SirFuego
03-16-2010, 10:08 AM
Very unlikely I'm going to Scotland this summer...soooo....maybe....

ATL ZJ
03-21-2010, 05:35 PM
Very unlikely I'm going to Scotland this summer...soooo....maybe....

Since you were "99% out" for GSSE-W and made it anyway, does "maybe" mean "definitely"? :D

BigClay
03-21-2010, 06:32 PM
Counting... down... the... days... :D

zjeepin
03-22-2010, 10:14 AM
Counting... down... the... days... :D

you gonna get your axles in and longarms on before gsse?

SirFuego
03-22-2010, 10:55 AM
Since you were "99% out" for GSSE-W and made it anyway, does "maybe" mean "definitely"? :D
I try to keep expectations low. Makes me look good when I do exceed them ;-)

SirFuego
03-22-2010, 11:07 AM
My buddy Jeff might be coming, too. He is working down in TN and might bring over his TJ for this...Rubi on 37" crawlers and built D44s.

BigClay
03-22-2010, 11:43 AM
you gonna get your axles in and longarms on before gsse?

Yep, the jeep should be ready to go, and hopefully have a few Uwharrie runs on it to get the bugs worked out.

rstrucks
03-22-2010, 07:28 PM
It sounds like it should be a good turnout.

I'm trying to talk my brother into coming down and bringing his MJ on 35's. If he comes he may drag a couple of friends along.

jdconti9484
03-26-2010, 11:50 PM
I'm gonna try to make it and I will probably have atleast 2 other rigs coming with me.

indy242003
04-07-2010, 04:13 PM
I gotta go this year. I try to hit GSMW (just because I used to live there) every year, and they normally have it in May, but they can't decide when to have it this year. There were only a half dozen rigs last year there. It seems there are fewer and fewer every year. I wanna lower the WJ a couple of inches before I go, but other than that, its ready. May skip the Indiana ride and make the KY ride my new Grand event.

zjeepin
04-08-2010, 08:01 AM
sweet, the more the merrier

indy242003
04-08-2010, 02:09 PM
I applied for my reservations for a cabin rental. What do I have to get before I ride here? Permits, forms fees? I want to get this all taken care of ahead of time if I can.

ATL ZJ
04-08-2010, 02:20 PM
Glad to hear you'll be joining us.

You do need a permit and there are several locations near the trail system that sell them. at one point they were talking about selling them online- let me check and post up a little later with all the info.

Cam

ATL ZJ
04-08-2010, 04:17 PM
Looks like they decided not to sell permits online. You can buy them at the new guard house at the Evarts trailhead when you arrive. If possible, we do recommend getting your permit before we all get ready to hit the trail on Friday morning. They are pretty cheap at $20 for a monthly permit and $35 for a 1 year permit. Passengers ride free. Here is the full scoop on permits...

http://www.harlancountytrails.com/blackmountain-permits.php

Depending on interest, we may also have a catered Saturday night meal and/or tshirts, etc. this year. We also plan to have a slightly more formal check-in to help get people grouped up better. So any fees will likely be minimal and depend on the demand for those sort of extras.

BigClay
04-08-2010, 04:40 PM
T-shirts - Yes
Formal Check-in - Yes
Catered Saturday night - Yes

:D

slim616
04-08-2010, 10:41 PM
T-shirts - Yes
Formal Check-in - Yes
Catered Saturday night - Yes

:D

x2:smt023

CruisinGA
04-14-2010, 10:33 PM

Narrowly missing my (long awaited) graduation by a week, so I don't have any excuses...yet.

Got to exercise the squirrels under the hood, so I'm comin.

95zjmischief
04-14-2010, 11:18 PM
Haha ok so this is the closest mallcrawlin wheelin event, so by that point I should have the long arms on and axles in, I know its crazy but ill be driving the thing down, got no other way, and I really wanna be apart of this,

zjeepin
04-15-2010, 07:47 AM
Narrowly missing my (long awaited) graduation by a week, so I don't have any excuses...yet.

Got to exercise the squirrels under the hood, so I'm comin.

do you hold some kind of record at tech yet for the most years spent attaining a 4 year degree?:smt017

seriously though, bailey at 2 wheelin trips in a row? 2012 isn't far away is it??

SirFuego
04-15-2010, 08:51 AM
Haha ok so this is the closest mallcrawlin wheelin event
Really? Maybe someone should start up a Grand Slam East further north? Perhaps even a Grand Slam Northeast? ;-)

All kidding aside, cool that you are planning to make it.

slim616
04-15-2010, 09:31 PM
Really? Maybe someone should start up a Grand Slam East further north? Perhaps even a Grand Slam Northeast? ;-)

All kidding aside, cool that you are planning to make it.

:funny:

95zjmischief
04-15-2010, 09:42 PM
Hahahah thanks man, I couldn't start a gsne, not enough guys up this north, everyones about the south, but I hope the heep is done and tuned before I leave

SirFuego
04-15-2010, 09:52 PM
I'm not sure you really caught the sarcasm in my post...

Joe did...

95zjmischief
04-15-2010, 10:19 PM
No I got it, lol I once made a post about it lol, but maybe it should happen lol

CruisinGA
04-16-2010, 10:41 AM
do you hold some kind of record at tech yet for the most years spent attaining a 4 year degree?:smt017

seriously though, bailey at 2 wheelin trips in a row? 2012 isn't far away is it??

I am no where close to the record :flipoff2:

A minority of students graduate in 4 years w/ an engineering degree... Most take at least 4.5. I'm just helping to pull that average up :D

Big problem is- all of ya'll have gone from ~37's to 40's+ in the couple years since I've wheeled much, can't hang anymore, despite my copious amounts of horsepower. :D

rstrucks
04-16-2010, 10:50 AM
A minority of students graduate in 4 years w/ an engineering degree... Most take at least 4.5. I'm just helping to pull that average up :D

Big problem is- all of ya'll have gone from ~37's to 40's+ in the couple years since I've wheeled much, can't hang anymore, despite my copious amounts of horsepower. :D

So your above average........ whats wrong with that? :)

You going to the GSMTR in June? Hope so, I don't want to be the only little guy on 37's.

Ryan

ATL ZJ
04-16-2010, 10:56 AM

Fab up a couple motor mounts and bolt in the engine from your boat for the weekend :D

slim616
04-16-2010, 01:02 PM
No I got it, lol I once made a post about it lol, but maybe it should happen lol

"there are some people you just cant reach"

cool hand Luke

95zjmischief
04-16-2010, 02:41 PM
:smt033

CruisinGA
04-17-2010, 09:01 PM
You going to the GSMTR in June? Hope so, I don't want to be the only little guy on 37's.

Ryan

Planning on it. If I make one event a year that's not a GSSE, GSMTR has got to be it.

Fab up a couple motor mounts and bolt in the engine from your boat for the weekend

Which one? Even the 1988 V6 outboard on the bass boat has 2x as much power as my 6 cylinders of fury :D

In fact, I was driving the '53 Willys with the 134cu in "Hurricane 4" today and it sure seemed to pull a lot better than the 40. :D

CruisinGA
04-18-2010, 12:59 PM
Planning on it. If I make one event a year that's not a GSSE, GSMTR has got to be it.

Weeeelll Ryan, gonna have to take that back.

Your post made me check my calender, and it turns out my gf is a bridesmaid in a wedding that weekend :rolleyes:, so no GSMTR for me, unless I go up wed or thurs and come back friday, which is doable because I only have class on Mon and wed this summer. :D

rstrucks
04-19-2010, 10:08 AM
my gf is a bridesmaid in a wedding that weekend :rolleyes:, so no GSMTR for me

What does that have to do with you? :D

Kidding, sucks though. I was hoping I'd have someone else in the "under 40" tire" club to wheel with. If you end up going and wheeling on Friday let me know.

SirFuego
04-19-2010, 10:31 AM
Sarah's sister is having her bridal shower and bachelorette party that weekend. So since she'll be busy doing girly stuff, I might as well drive to Kentucky.

I'm 99% in for this. That 1% is for the possibility that my truck, rig, or trailer splits in half -- or if the shit hits the fan at work (doubtful since my bosses and customers will all be in Scotland when I leave for here).

ATL ZJ
04-19-2010, 11:10 AM
Sarah's sister is having her bridal shower and bachelorette party that weekend. So since she'll be busy doing girly stuff, I might as well drive to Kentucky.

I'm 99% in for this. That 1% is for the possibility that my truck, rig, or trailer splits in half -- or if the shit hits the fan at work (doubtful since my bosses and customers will all be in Scotland when I leave for here).

Awesome, you'll love harlan... bring a spare 30 ring and pinion ;) I already have the dial indicator and bearing puller packed :D

SirFuego
04-19-2010, 05:37 PM
Awesome, you'll love harlan... bring a spare 30 ring and pinion ;) I already have the dial indicator and bearing puller packed :D

Haha. My buddy suggested a while back that I just have another set of D30 internals already setup with the right number of shims, so I can just swap over my locker, slap them in and wheel since they were already setup for the housing.

rstrucks
04-20-2010, 04:03 PM
Haha. My buddy suggested a while back that I just have another set of D30 internals already setup with the right number of shims, so I can just swap over my locker, slap them in and wheel since they were already setup for the housing.

You should just get a spare complete D30. :)

ATL ZJ
04-20-2010, 04:29 PM

Haha that is not a bad idea... there have been more serious repairs done in the oh-so-scenic campground that Joe loves so much ;)

slim616
04-20-2010, 11:16 PM
Haha that is not a bad idea... there have been more serious repairs done in the oh-so-scenic campground that Joe loves so much ;)

lol but at least i'm pulling up my skirt and coming back.

indy242003
05-05-2010, 10:09 AM
I think I'm gonna take my last trip on the HP44 front at the end of this month (Hot springs) and going to swap in the HP60 that has been sitting on the jack stands for a year. I'm going to try to get it done before I take it to Harlan. I just don't have any faith in the 44 any more and the harder I wheel the more I wait for the pop. I don't want to pull it that far and be back on the trailer Friday night. So, June 1st it's coming out. I hope to have another run in before Harlan. So, if someone wants a '79 hp44 8 lug 5.38, loc-rite, ballistic high steer, ballistic steering kit w' 7/8" hiems, BTF diff cover, new bearings and joints, set up for hydro assist. It will bolt under a WJ with clatons LA's. Shot me a PM with an offer and I'll bring it to GSSE with me.

zjeepin
05-05-2010, 10:24 AM
lol but at least i'm pulling up my skirt and coming back.

props on that dude, im looking forward to wheeling with you on the new setup.

BigClay
05-05-2010, 10:37 AM
My jeep should be done this weekend, so plenty of time for me to have it broken in before harlan!

zj95maxx
05-13-2010, 01:44 PM
Trying to make this, if my brother actually goes through with selling hix xterra and getting a truck I don't see any reason why I shouldn't be there.

It will be a good run to test out the new suspension components :)

zjeepin
05-13-2010, 01:51 PM
Trying to make this, if my brother actually goes through with selling hix xterra and getting a truck I don't see any reason why I shouldn't be there.

It will be a good run to test out the new suspension components :)

sweet glad to hear it, how far is harlan for you?

zj95maxx
05-13-2010, 01:56 PM
7 1/2

zjeepin
05-13-2010, 01:59 PM
7 1/2

shit thats a long drive...

BigClay
05-13-2010, 02:32 PM
Well I am looking for a cack-up plan just in case. I may not have a trailer to get my jeep to Harlan, would anyone have a 2 rig trailer with just 1 rig on it, that would be willing to rent me the other spot :)

zjeepin
05-13-2010, 02:34 PM
talk to travis, he's the only one in our group with a truck thats up for that kind of duty...

SirFuego
05-13-2010, 03:03 PM
Well I am looking for a cack-up plan just in case. I may not have a trailer to get my jeep to Harlan, would anyone have a 2 rig trailer with just 1 rig on it, that would be willing to rent me the other spot :)

Can't help ya there, even if I had a long gooseneck, I don't think my Ram 1500 would be too happy. Besides, it's already a long enough drive for me without detouring to NC :-)

I am hoping to be on different tires (i.e. tires with more tread) by then. Although it seems that every desirable 35" tire is on backorder now, so I'm hoping that it's an omen that I am supposed to buy a set of good, but used, tires. So if anyone knows anyone within a few hours of Buffalo...

BigClay
05-13-2010, 03:17 PM
talk to travis, he's the only one in our group with a truck thats up for that kind of duty...

I have, but his 16' trailer isn't up to it.

zjeepin
05-13-2010, 03:26 PM
you may be able to rent a trailer somewhere.. gboro/winston is a big place

BigClay
05-13-2010, 03:27 PM
Can't help ya there, even if I had a long gooseneck, I don't think my Ram 1500 would be too happy. Besides, it's already a long enough drive for me without detouring to NC :-)

That would definitely be a trek! :)

I am hoping to be on different tires (i.e. tires with more tread) by then. Although it seems that every desirable 35" tire is on backorder now, so I'm hoping that it's an omen that I am supposed to buy a set of good, but used, tires. So if anyone knows anyone within a few hours of Buffalo...

I was lucky enough to get a set of trxxus blems from Interco a few months ago... went to look for a spare a few weeks ago, and nothing. I ended up getting a 35" Mud King from tire rack...

SCJeeper
05-26-2010, 04:27 AM
Anybody remember Tard-dong, i could always see if he is willing to make an appearence...haha..

Ill be there this year, already got the days put off for it.....

zjeepin
05-26-2010, 07:38 AM
Anybody remember Tard-dong, i could always see if he is willing to make an appearence...haha..

Ill be there this year, already got the days put off for it.....

sorry, nobody here knows what your talking about.. care to explain?:smt067

SCJeeper
05-29-2010, 07:41 PM
I know ya'll have to remember him, 2 years ago when i brough him with me, he stuttered alot and hooked up in the campground with one of the locals, he was riding with cam when he en-doed going down the hill...

zjeepin
06-01-2010, 01:57 PM
uhh, i think you need to tell the tard-dong story so others can enjoy

GunsUP
06-06-2010, 09:41 PM
so is there any rig that's going to have smaller than 35s at this? the most i think i'll have by then is an 8.8, hp30 locked front and rear on 30s... don't wanna end up running trails alone

zjeepin
06-07-2010, 11:12 AM
so is there any rig that's going to have smaller than 35s at this? the most i think i'll have by then is an 8.8, hp30 locked front and rear on 30s... don't wanna end up running trails alone

over the last few years we haven't gotten a whole lot of intrest from the "stock-ish" crowd, although everyone is invited and there is quite a bit of terrain that would be tons of fun for that group.

BigClay
06-07-2010, 11:40 AM
GunsUP got me thinking, do we have a name/tire size/locker thread for GSSE yet?

indy242003
06-07-2010, 06:11 PM

I've never been here. I'll run the easier trails with ya. After the carnage I inflicted on the WJ over memorial day weekend at Hot Springs it would not hurt for me to take it easy for the first day. Broke a long side inner shaft, a rear shaft, a lock out, and destroyed a track bar bushing in less than 24 hours! On the up side I got it repaired and back on the trail for every day I was there. gotta love it!

slim616
06-07-2010, 11:32 PM
last year i think there was only two people who had d30/d44 under their rigs. I think they had 32's and 33's open/ locked and had a hell of a time getting around on the medium trails though they had no issues with the mountain trails.

rstrucks
06-07-2010, 11:37 PM

Show up anyway. The great thing about Harlan is that you can ride the main trails/roads and see a lot of pretty serious action. You can still get out, get up into the woods and have a good time. If you get bored just riding around on the easier stuff I'm sure you could find an empty seat to ride in.

ATL ZJ
06-07-2010, 11:40 PM
We are working on a guide with trail info to give you guys who have never visited Harlan an idea of what's available. Look for it to be released sometime around the fourth week of June. Harlan has tons of extreme trails but it also has a good number of miles of easier trails as well. The only tricky factor is most trails get twice as hard when it rains...

indy242003
06-08-2010, 09:29 AM
We are working on a guide with trail info to give you guys who have never visited Harlan an idea of what's available. Look for it to be released sometime around the fourth week of June. Harlan has tons of extreme trails but it also has a good number of miles of easier trails as well. The only tricky factor is most trails get twice as hard when it rains...

I pray it does not rain! My POS Iroks are on the last trip.

SirFuego
06-25-2010, 11:02 AM
What are everyone's plans for this?

I'm getting in sometime on that Thursday (taking off work, so I should get in at a reasonable time) and possibly leaving Monday morning. Although, if folks are only heading out in the morning on Sunday or I'm broken, I might just head back on Sunday. I left Windrock after a morning of wheeling and it wasn't horrible. Harlan is about 1.5-2 hours shorter of a drive, too, than the route I took to/from Windrock.

Anyone else taking 77 or 79 to 119 to get there? Both routes are all interstate for me until I get on 119 and each way only varies by 10 minutes. When the route already is going to take close to 11 hours -- what's the difference of 10 minutes?

Is 77 a flatter route than 79? That might make it a lot quicker towing...

rstrucks
06-25-2010, 11:12 AM
I'll be getting there sometime before dark on Thursday and I'll probably head out on Sunday morning unless something really tempts me to stay and wheel that morning.

ATL ZJ
06-25-2010, 11:20 AM
If I work a full day I will be rolling in at midnight Thursday. Although it's really tempting to try to get there earlier to unload and go hit some trails again.

I have a 6 hour drive home, so normally I try to wheel til around lunch on Sunday, grab some dairy hut, and hit the road around 2:00

BigClay
06-25-2010, 11:21 AM
I am planning on getting there before dark Thursday as well. I will probably not wheel on Sunday and head back early.

On a side note, when will the drivers meeting be Friday morning?

ATL ZJ
06-25-2010, 11:26 AM
I am planning on getting there before dark Thursday as well. I will probably not wheel on Sunday and head back early.

On a side note, when will the drivers meeting be Friday morning?

9:00 at the GSSE table at the Evarts campground (more on that soon)

slim616
06-25-2010, 11:47 AM
Im leaving tuesday morning swinging through New York for a tom petty concert then heading down to Harlan. I hoping that i should be there before dark thursday. Ill be rolling out some time sunday morning unless something comes up.

As a side note I have found wheeling the night before a Big event is not good, bad things will happen.

ATL ZJ
06-25-2010, 11:52 AM
As a side note I have found wheeling the night before a Big event is not good, bad things will happen.

wheeling IS the event :D besides you just can't beat hitting some trails on a summer night in the mountains

rstrucks
06-25-2010, 11:58 AM
I guess I need to add "install additional lighting" to the to-do list.

SirFuego
06-25-2010, 12:09 PM
Yeah. My lights sucked at Windrock. I'm wiring stuff up when I get it back from the shop. Planning to get the rock lights on, too.

MUDDTRACKS
06-25-2010, 12:12 PM
I plan to head up wed night and get there sometime thursday it's about 12 hours for me. plan is it to wheel sunday and head home monday if i keep the heep together that long.

zjeepin
06-25-2010, 01:55 PM
i'll be there around 8:30 on thursday evening, earlier if possible. just depends on how work goes that week.. i definately plan to wheel sunday like cam i normally try to be off the trail by 1pm and on the road home by 2..

I was definately thinking of getting a group together to do some night riding so anyone who's interested wire up some extra lights if need be, i normally just pack some flashlights and headlamps... probably won't be on thursday night though cause everyone will be arriving

SirFuego
06-25-2010, 02:05 PM
Is there a gas station within non-street legal driving distance of the trails?

zjeepin
06-25-2010, 02:06 PM
yeah, gas station is between the campground and trail head and is like 2 seconds out of the way from the cabin to the trailhead

rstrucks
06-25-2010, 02:47 PM
The driveway to the cabins comes out right at a Chevron station - the same place you'll check-in to the cabin. They're owned by the same guy.

ATL ZJ
06-25-2010, 03:43 PM
The marathon station right across the street from the campground also sells gas and I think is the one Trey is referring to. It was closed last year during GSSE, and has since reopened (used to be a BP IIRC). They are the hookup for breakfast as well.

slim616
06-25-2010, 04:01 PM
Im all for night runs but 9 times out of ten one person breaks something on that first night run and screws them self for the rest of the weekend.

Now for fri nights night run I'm down. usally at big dogs we run from 9 to 4pm, eat then head back out around 9pm and come back around 1 or 2am. Only prob with harlan from what i'm told is the police are very strict on the drinking and will spot check you on the night runs when you are coming back to camp. Not that we all even partake in any drinking. Also make sure during the day you have your license on you at all times because the police put up road blocks and check that stuff. Mandy went through one of those last year in my truck just outside of the camp.

ATL ZJ
06-25-2010, 04:18 PM
Im all for night runs but 9 times out of ten one person breaks something on that first night run and screws them self for the rest of the weekend.

Now for fri nights night run I'm down. usally at big dogs we run from 9 to 4pm, eat then head back out around 9pm and come back around 1 or 2am. Only prob with harlan from what i'm told is the police are very strict on the drinking and will spot check you on the night runs when you are coming back to camp. Not that we all even partake in any drinking. Also make sure during the day you have your license on you at all times because the police put up road blocks and check that stuff. Mandy went through one of those last year in my truck just outside of the camp.

HAHA isn't breakage a risk anytime you hit the trail? ;) Prep those rigs- Harlan is especially nasty right now!

The fuzz does set up stops occasionally, even in the daytime. I've never been stopped but I've been told they are looking mostly for rigs without working lights and/or tags, and intoxicated drivers. I would strongly recommend against open containers in your rig but it's not my job to police anyone. Either way, please keep your speed down on the way to the trailhead, and wait til you hit gravel to open it up where it doesn't bother any neighbors who already put up with a lot. :)

Joe that's for everybody, not just directly to you ;)

slim616
06-25-2010, 04:28 PM
HAHA isn't breakage a risk anytime you hit the trail? ;) Prep those rigs- Harlan is especially nasty right now!

yes you are right but that breakage really stings worst when your looking for a right seat at the first drivers meeting.

Joe that's for everybody, not just directly to you ;)
This coming from the man who has the 6.0 in there rig:D

ATL ZJ
06-25-2010, 04:34 PM
This coming from the man who has the 6.0 in there rig:D
Can you help me tie some helium balloons to my foot? :smt037

SCJeeper
06-26-2010, 05:34 AM
Do you need a tag to drive from the camp to the trail head now, i know last time i was there you didnt have to....

zjeepin
06-26-2010, 09:51 AM
Do you need a tag to drive from the camp to the trail head now, i know last time i was there you didnt have to....

technically its state owned roads from the campground to the trialhead so yes you need a tag to legally drive to the trailhead. that being said i've never been pulled over but being there as part of a large group I'd say we are more likely to have a problem. its up to you if you want to risk it.

SCJeeper
06-26-2010, 06:52 PM
i just remember last time i came 2 years ago it wasnt necessary because the atv's were driving all over the roads and up through town and stuff...

indy242003
06-26-2010, 11:26 PM

Yep, I'm that guy, but I always seem to get it put back together (been real lucky)the next day. I'm not driving all the way over there and going down with out a fight. I'll burn a Blackberry up, trying to find the parts I need, or something I can use. I actually destroyed a bushing on the last trip and had to buy a lowering shackle (I know, ironic right?), cut it down to size and shimmed it with a beer can to run the last day of the weekend. Being creative will save your trip. It may not be the best solution, but it beats a rig sittin' on the trailer any day.

ATL ZJ
06-27-2010, 02:06 AM
i just remember last time i came 2 years ago it wasnt necessary because the atv's were driving all over the roads and up through town and stuff...

That is a loophole- Evarts has some kind of statute that permits ATVs to drive on their roads as long as the operator has a helmet, etc. From what I have been told, our rigs cannot be considered ATVs and are therefore subject to normal passenger car laws, although the cops often look the other way because of the tourism $$$ we bring. A lot has changed since you were there in 2008 but it's mainly the state cops you need to worry about...

SCJeeper
06-27-2010, 03:30 AM
Well i am a cop now. haha i carry my badge and gun everywhere i go....... is there ample parking at the trail head if needed to tow to there...like i said its been a while...

ATL ZJ
06-30-2010, 10:07 AM
Well i am a cop now. haha i carry my badge and gun everywhere i go....... is there ample parking at the trail head if needed to tow to there...like i said its been a while...

You can tow the 1/2 mile up the road to the gravel area by the train tracks if you want. But there is still another 1/2 mile from that lot to the trail system...

Just don't arrest any of us for going wheelin' :smt037

ATL ZJ
06-30-2010, 10:34 AM
Also, a few things have changed this year. some of this we may have mentioned but here it is in one place...

Permits are now available only at the trailhead. They have constructed a log cabin where you can buy permits and merchandise. Permits are sold 9am to 5pm Monday thru Wednesday, 9am to 8pm Thurday thru Friday, and 8am to 8pm on weekends. Try to get your permit as soon as possible so we don't overrun them on Friday morning when everybody is trying to hit the trails.

The trail system also has much better signage and a good bit of maintenance and drainage work has been done.

The Dairy Hut no longer serves breakfast, but the Marathon station across the street from the campground does.

Campsites at the South Evarts Campground still run $20/night and they all have enough room for 2 trucks, trailers, trail rigs, and tents; or 1 RV if any of you have one.

SirFuego
07-02-2010, 11:18 AM
Looks like my old college roomate is heading down from Lexington to ride passenger. Not sure what days he's gonna be down, but I'll forward him the cabin info (the guy said there should be room for a 5th to sleep on the floor if needed) and the BBQ info so he can send in his money if he is down on Sat.

xJoshx
07-08-2010, 10:22 PM
Wow So glad i finally joined this Site. Im a avid supporter on JF and have been looking for a grand slam. near me Harlan is only 200miles away from me! Won't be this year but next year you betcha!

SCJeeper
07-09-2010, 06:29 PM
So i talked with the man over Harlan County trail system... He told me that my zuk' is considered an atv and that i can ride it on the road from the camp to the trail under the city ordinance without a tag and stuff..... Just incase anybody else needed the info!

SirFuego
07-09-2010, 08:14 PM
Because it's so small (body wise -- I have no idea what tire size you are running)? Would that apply to ZJ buggies?

ATL ZJ
07-10-2010, 12:42 AM
Technically you have to wear a helmet if you want to be considered an ATV to abide by their laws. If I have time this week I will try to dig up the exact statute as it was posted on another board. It is definitely a big gray area. If you want to be considered a "truck", then you need plates and insurance. Either way you need working brake lights (and running lights if dark).

Fuego you'll be fine, I have never been bothered. If you aren't driving around like a drunk fool then chances are nobody will even give you a second glance.

BigClay
07-10-2010, 09:22 AM
Got a Harlan question. How close is the nearest grocery store?

slim616
07-10-2010, 03:58 PM
Got a Harlan question. How close is the nearest grocery store?

10 min if i remember correctly. What ever that town is before you go into harlan, it has just about everything you need with in reason.

BigClay
07-10-2010, 09:46 PM
Do they sell beer? :D

ATL ZJ
07-11-2010, 12:40 AM
There is a savealot or something like that in town. I'm all about supporting the local economy but it has no national brands and it's a little weird in general. Harlan county has no alcohol sales. It's a dry county. The closest beer is about 45 minutes away in VA, so bring it with you :D

BigClay
07-11-2010, 10:21 AM
Exactly what I wanted to know, thanks Cam

slim616
07-11-2010, 02:21 PM
For thur will anyone be coming south down 81 through Virgina?

SirFuego
07-14-2010, 01:10 PM
Looks like my ex-college roomate needs to work on Friday and has an Ultimate Frisbee Tourney on Saturday, so I'm still going to have an open passenger seat.

Anyone taking 77 or 79 down on Thurs? Anyone driving through Charleston, WV?

Joe -- any idea what time you and Mandy are going to be getting in? I can't remember your last name, but I can add your name to the reservations if you are getting there before me. I'm planning to get to the cabin by 8 or 9.

indy242003
07-14-2010, 02:45 PM
It looks like a 10 hour drive for me and 615 miles to Harlan. I'm getting started early Thursday morning to get my permit before they close to make sure I'm not scrambling Friday morning. I have reservations for cabin #2. I should be there Thursday night if the road trip goes well. I'm attempting to get the 2 rigs on the gooseneck tonight so we can split the fuel costs.

slim616
07-14-2010, 05:47 PM
Looks like my ex-college roomate needs to work on Friday and has an Ultimate Frisbee Tourney on Saturday, so I'm still going to have an open passenger seat.

Anyone taking 77 or 79 down on Thurs? Anyone driving through Charleston, WV?

Joe -- any idea what time you and Mandy are going to be getting in? I can't remember your last name, but I can add your name to the reservations if you are getting there before me. I'm planning to get to the cabin by 8 or 9.

I hoping to jump off the train from ny around 8 or 8:30am thur and jumping in the truck and being on my way around 9:30am or so putting me down there around 7 or 8pm.

indy242003
07-15-2010, 11:18 AM
It looks like a 10 hour drive for me and 615 miles to Harlan. I'm getting started early Thursday morning to get my permit before they close to make sure I'm not scrambling Friday morning. I have reservations for cabin #2. I should be there Thursday night if the road trip goes well. I'm attempting to get the 2 rigs on the gooseneck tonight so we can split the fuel costs.

Good news! We can get both my buddies Geo and my Grand on my gooseneck! It's tight and I have to strap the rear ramps strait up to the bumper of the grand, but it will work. I'm bringing a generator, welder, and air compressor too. So if anyone was thinking about bringing this stuff, they have the option to leave it at home. I'm also bringing air tools and hand tools (grinders, impacts, huge end wrenches for repairs if/when anyone needs it. I also bring a shit ton of parts, so don't put it back on the trailer and hang out without checking to see if I have something first.

rstrucks
07-16-2010, 02:21 PM
I'm bringing a generator, welder, and air compressor too. So if anyone was thinking about bringing this stuff, they have the option to leave it at home. I'm also bringing air tools and hand tools (grinders, impacts, huge end wrenches for repairs if/when anyone needs it. I also bring a shit ton of parts, so don't put it back on the trailer and hang out without checking to see if I have something first.

Awesome! Thanks man. :smt035

Sporer65
07-20-2010, 10:07 PM
I was really hoping to make it this year, but I'm not going to be able too. I was holding off posting cause I posted up I was going the last 2 years and that never happen. Hoped by holding off I wouldn't jinx myself, oh well. Ya'll have fun.

slim616
07-25-2010, 04:28 PM
i guess I'm down to the wire. I got tomorrow evening to make sure everything is ready to go before I head out to NY. Jeep seems to running all right with a few issues that hopefully will hold together for Harlan. I'm not sure if Ill be on to check anything tomorrow so if not, be safe and hopefully ill see you all thur evening. As of now my plane lands at BWI around 8:30am thur. So i'm guessing I should be on the road around 10:00am and be in Harlan around 8pm if all goes well.

SirFuego
07-25-2010, 05:44 PM
Safe travels, Joe!

My jeep is ready except i still need to make my rear lights operational. Juast had zero time to wire them up. So i might be dong some work before i head over to the campground on thurs!

MUDDTRACKS
07-25-2010, 05:44 PM
I should be out there working on the Jeep right not but it's 102 outside:eek:

Looks like I will be doing most of what i have to do after the sun goes down.

SB406
07-26-2010, 10:13 AM
Safe travels, Joe!

My jeep is ready except i still need to make my rear lights operational. Juast had zero time to wire them up. So i might be dong some work before i head over to the campground on thurs!

Pics?

indy242003
07-26-2010, 04:34 PM
I should be out there working on the Jeep right not but it's 102 outside:eek:

Looks like I will be doing most of what i have to do after the sun goes down.

It's stupid hot here too, but no way do you wait till after dark here. The mosquitos are so bad in the delta that working at night is just not an option. Even in "have to" situations, it's so damn irritating that you'll screw something up because you can't think strait.

SirFuego
07-26-2010, 04:36 PM
Pics?
Nope, not yet. The lights were actually mounted at Dunn Tire last weekend. I need to splice the wiring.

SirFuego
07-27-2010, 10:09 AM
Hopefully my last question, but I assume there is room to maneuver a trailer by the permit shack? I think I'm just going to run there first assuming all goes as planned and I get there before 8.

rstrucks
07-28-2010, 09:38 AM
The weather is still looking pretty good;

http://www.weather.com/weather/weekend/USKY0881

87,85,89 for the 3 days.

SirFuego
07-28-2010, 09:42 AM
Yeah I've been following the radar all week, and it looks like any rain they had was scattered, so they may not have even gotten much rain at all (if any)!

BigClay
07-28-2010, 10:18 AM
Nice!

ATL ZJ
07-28-2010, 10:23 AM
Hopefully my last question, but I assume there is room to maneuver a trailer by the permit shack? I think I'm just going to run there first assuming all goes as planned and I get there before 8.

You could probably turn around just past the permit office depending on how big your trailer is. If not, you can just continue straight for about 1/4 mile on the gravel and there is a wide open area where you can turn around.

BigClay
08-05-2010, 11:51 AM
I am not sure if there was ever a consensus, but who owns the trials? Who pays for the up keep? Also, who paid for the nice trail head sign and cabin?

zjeepin
08-05-2010, 11:57 AM
The trails and land are privately owned and Harlan County leases the land, the county just signed a 25 year lease with the owners so that is exciting!

The money we pay for trail passes, t-shirts, maps ect goes toward keeping the trails up, building the cabin ect.. Im sure it takes more money than the park is bringing in at this point so there must be some county funds allocated as well..

Im sure the park will benefit greatly from the ECORS race next weekend. From what i've read there is going to be quite a turnout.

Are any of you guys planning to go to the race?

ATL ZJ
08-05-2010, 12:04 PM
Harlan also gets a significant amount of money through grants designated by the state of Kentucky for coal mining reclamation areas. Supposedly the whole area around whitetail used to be used for mining. if you read the park board minutes on the harlancountytrails website, there is more info there...

The ECORS race will be awesome, no doubt. I REALLY wanted to go to that race, more specifically, enter and see if I could finish... But since I have a wedding to attend in VA this weekend, it just didn't add up. But if someone wants to send me $1000 I will fab up some firewalls, buy the needed safety gear and head up there next friday :D Looking over the registration list there are some good seasoned racers with nice rigs but some of the big names I expected to see are missing, so the playing field may be pretty level.

SirFuego
08-05-2010, 12:10 PM
All of the parks in my area are privately owned and it's been expressed to us by some of the land owners is that a large part of the admission fees is needed to cover insurance and the rest cover regular operating fees and of course a little profit.

Since the county is operating the park, I'd assume that the "insurance" costs are already drawn into whatever type of insurance a county gov't needs anyways -- which can help keep the costs down. It costs $35/DAY to wheel at Rausch -- and $35/YEAR to wheel at Harlan.

That business model works up here in the NorthEast because there aren't any public-operated parks, so it's pretty much the norm to pay $20-35/day to wheel here. I'd bet that if a public-operated park opened up here with some hardcore trails, that could seriously impact the business models of existing private parks since they would probably be able to operate more along the lines of the way Harlan does.

I'm sorta curious to see how this new PA Offroad Park is going to work out because it's my understanding that the county is looking to run it.

BigClay
08-31-2010, 03:58 PM
Can't believe it has already been a month... count down for next year yet?

SirFuego
08-31-2010, 04:08 PM
Aug 5-7, 2011 for GSSE Oh-11, right? I think we were planning our honeymoon for sometime in mid-August (this is best for Sarah's schedule, who has much more limited vacation times than I do), so I might not make it next year. I doubt my rig is going to be ready for GSSE-W.

Assuming the GSSE-W continues every year, I'm hoping to make it to at least one GSSE event yearly starting in 2012, though. I had a blast at the two I attended this year.

ATL ZJ
08-31-2010, 04:14 PM
Damn, you beat us to the punch... have not even started thinking about GSSE-W, much less GSSE!

But yes, the tradition is the first weekend of August, so plan on it being the 5th to 7th...

GSSE-W may be in March or January this year, as opposed to Feb, to not conflict with Valentines, KOH, etc etc.

SirFuego
08-31-2010, 04:35 PM
Well, besides Clay mentioning it, the only reason I asked about the dates is that I know we are probably going to be setting the dates on our honeymoon in the next few months, so I want to be sure of the dates in case I do get the opportunity to come next year :-)

BigClay
08-31-2010, 05:11 PM
Where will GSSE-W be this year (I know it is early, but the later in the year and the closer proximity to me the more chance I have of going, especially since my little girl is due in Dec ;) )

ATL ZJ
08-31-2010, 05:13 PM
Where will GSSE-W be this year (I know it is early, but the later in the year and the closer proximity to me the more chance I have of going, especially since my little girl is due in Dec ;) )

Probably in TN... not necessarily at Windrock but maybe... we will get talking about this soon so everybody can plan.

SCJeeper
09-01-2010, 05:10 AM
Im in for GSSE-W... ill have a new wheelbase and some real driveshafts! :D

BigClay
09-01-2010, 09:23 AM
Im in for GSSE-W... ill have a new wheelbase and some real driveshafts! :D

Do tell...

S-10 Seanzy
09-01-2010, 03:32 PM
Probably in TN... not necessarily at Windrock but maybe... we will get talking about this soon so everybody can plan.

My vote is for Grayrock!

zjeepin
09-01-2010, 03:46 PM
yeah yeah yeah... we need a massive group to get into grayrock affordably.. like 100 people or better

ATL ZJ
09-01-2010, 04:26 PM
yeah yeah yeah... we need a massive group to get into grayrock affordably.. like 100 people or better

I thought it was only $700 to rent the whole park?

if that's all it is, with just 25 people it would be cheaper than everywhere but harlan...

zjeepin
09-01-2010, 06:11 PM
i was probably misinformed.. 25 is much more attainable, especially for gsse

S-10 Seanzy
09-02-2010, 12:56 PM
I thought it was only $700 to rent the whole park?

if that's all it is, with just 25 people it would be cheaper than everywhere but harlan...

i was probably misinformed.. 25 is much more attainable, especially for gsse

The way that I understood it from Kirby was that it was $70 per rig for a weekend with a 10 rig minimum...maybe I misunderstood him though. Either way, that's only $10 more than Windrock, right? Kirby says it is well worth it, so it's something to entertain. I just though it might be a good idea, because we'd easily have more than 10 rigs there.

ATL ZJ
09-02-2010, 12:59 PM
The way that I understood it from Kirby was that it was $70 per rig for a weekend with a 10 rig minimum...maybe I misunderstood him though. Either way, that's only $10 more than Windrock, right? Kirby says it is well worth it, so it's something to entertain. I just though it might be a good idea, because we'd easily have more than 10 rigs there.

Still $35 if we all sell our passenger seats :D

I'm all for it, whether a GSSE event or a random weekend... can't believe I haven't ever been.

SirFuego
09-07-2010, 02:40 PM
Hey Seanzy -- wanna make a donation to the rebuild of the robot :-)

Congrats, Dude!

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=915611

indy242003
09-08-2010, 03:58 PM
Yeah, I saw that too. Congrats man! Hellava prize to win for sure. I love pirate give aways. A chance to win for just posting, can't beat that. :D

S-10 Seanzy
09-10-2010, 01:04 PM
Hey Seanzy -- wanna make a donation to the rebuild of the robot :-)

Congrats, Dude!

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=915611

Yeah, I saw that too. Congrats man! Hellava prize to win for sure. I love pirate give aways. A chance to win for just posting, can't beat that. :D

Yeah, thanks guys. I still can't believe it myself. We were actually talking about the giveaway at Mtn. City over the weekend. I'd say I can't make any donations with them though. My rig needs them more than any other rig that I've ridden in(except for maybe Cobbie's).:flipoff2:

ATL ZJ
09-10-2010, 02:07 PM
Yeah, thanks guys. I still can't believe it myself. We were actually talking about the giveaway at Mtn. City over the weekend. I'd say I can't make any donations with them though. My rig needs them more than any other rig that I've ridden in(except for maybe Cobbie's).:flipoff2:

Ha, what was it... if I win, I sell them to you for cheap? We never got to what would happen if you win :flipoff2:

And yeah the way Cobbie's rides is hilarious. When we scooted back to camp from shit creek at 4am he kept up great but he was grabbing for his kidneys afterwards :smt037

zjeepin
09-10-2010, 02:09 PM
cobbies rear coils are front coils from a 70's full size bronco.. it don't get much heavier than that

Tim C
09-15-2010, 01:21 AM
cobbies rear coils are front coils from a 70's full size bronco.. it don't get much heavier than that

LOL!!! Tell ME about it. My rig was probably one of the heaviest in Harlan While we were there. You can hear someone saying on a video of me "Man if that thing flips over we're screwed."

bnboffroad
09-21-2010, 09:35 PM

lol yep getting ready to fix that

ATL ZJ
09-21-2010, 10:01 PM
lol yep getting ready to fix that

if coilovers are part of that plan, call me before you buy anything unless you already have it figured out...