PDA

View Full Version : dd tire experience

Brad S
12-07-2009, 08:49 PM
Trying not to be a newb but hoping for some opinions - I'm looking for a relatively inexpensive tire for the wife's dd wj.

At first I was kind of leaning towards the BFG long trail, but then heard that it was just mediocre traction wise.

Local tire guy was trying to pitch the Cooper ATRs to me, any experience with them?

I would just put some more BFG A/T KOs on there - I liked those, but with a sticker price of ~$200, that's stretching it for me...
I'm looking for a good traction tire with low road noise - just something dependable.

dp96zj
12-07-2009, 09:36 PM
What size BFG? Last summer, I paid $135 a piece (mounted and installed) for my BFG AT/KO's 31x10.5x15. The price of those haven't gone up much at all. You shouldn't be shelling out $200 for any stock WJ size BFG tire.

I would recommend those tires, if the price is right. I have them on my ZJ, no road noise, good wet/dry traction, I've heard they're awesome in snow too. I've put a decent amount of miles on 'em, and they've still got plenty of tread on them.

I'll check with my dad to see what tires he just got for his stock ZJ.

Technohead
12-07-2009, 09:53 PM
Give the General Grabber AT2's a look. Great tire when you are on a budget.

ZJ TINS
12-07-2009, 10:02 PM
I have a different brand that the Cooper ATR but they are very close in tread design. Great all weather, snow, rain etc. Only reason I didnt get the Coopers is they didnt have 5 in my size when I went in to get a set. FWIW I only buy Cooper for my cars, going on 20 years.

J B
12-07-2009, 10:38 PM
BFG All Terrains are great DD tires.

BigDaveZJ
12-07-2009, 11:17 PM
I'll be throwing another set of AT/KO's on the F250 here when I get it running again. Great year round tire that won't leave you disappointed if you do happen to venture off pavement.

paulkeith
12-07-2009, 11:34 PM
dave, whats up with your powerstroke?

I've run BFG AT/KOs, BFG KMs, Duelers, Mastercraft ATs, and BFG KM2s on dd's. I would recommend the AT/KO out of all of those.

Everyone I talked to before reshoeing my F250 spoke volumes about the awesomeness of the Michelin LTX MS. You pay a premium but they've got some of the best treadlife out there, not to mention good traction and a very quiet ride. I've read of guys getting 60-80k out of sets on F250s.

FWIW.
Paul

Sporer65
12-07-2009, 11:46 PM
The LTX's are great tires. My brother had them on his truck with probably 50k and they still had tons of tread left when he got ride of them.

BigDaveZJ
12-07-2009, 11:47 PM
Needs some stuff, glow plugs, injector o-rings, downpipe is leaking. Too damn cold out to fawk with it.

Brad S
12-08-2009, 03:06 PM
Well, unfortunately I read an article that said Mr. Obama has enacted a tariff on imported tires of 35% this past October. Many places are raising the sticker price of non-imported tires as well since that bill was passed.

The lowest quote I can get for 245/70/r16 is $158/tire for the BFG ATs...
Sad since I paid $145/tire for my 32s a year ago..

Anyone else have any experience with the general grabber a/ts?

What size BFG? Last summer, I paid $135 a piece (mounted and installed) for my BFG AT/KO's 31x10.5x15. The price of those haven't gone up much at all. You shouldn't be shelling out $200 for any stock WJ size BFG tire.

I would recommend those tires, if the price is right. I have them on my ZJ, no road noise, good wet/dry traction, I've heard they're awesome in snow too. I've put a decent amount of miles on 'em, and they've still got plenty of tread on them.

I'll check with my dad to see what tires he just got for his stock ZJ.

ZoPHaR
12-08-2009, 03:29 PM
I run Grabber AT2's on my wifes WJ and they have never dissapointed me traction wise they do make a little road noise but thats because they are around a 640 tread wear. Also had a set on my ZJ and was happy with them as well and they wont break the bank.

RedRock4x4
12-08-2009, 03:39 PM
I think the BF Goodrich All Terrains are excellent when there new.When they wear out about 50% and more they become VERY squirrly and unpredictable.Plus you have to closly monitor the air pressure in them.Im on my 2nd set of TreadWright retreads.I get the mud terrains.There about 60 bucks.Sounds crappy right?Wrong!!! These tires rock.I live in southern nevada where the rock is dry and sharp and I have no issues at all..Even at low psi. If any one here ever gets them talk to Joel at treadwright.He is the new owner there and he will personally pick out your order and make sure there matching casings.The mud ply is a bit noisy but not to bad

Jeeptech01
12-09-2009, 10:34 PM
Uniroyal awp. I reccomend them to anyone with an suv. Great long lasting tire.

KDUB
12-09-2009, 11:03 PM
Mastercraft Courser AT's on 99 K1500 Suburban. Long lasting, good traction, low noise.

Hurricane 4x4
12-10-2009, 01:02 AM
general grabber at2's have been good to me. they're quiet and last awhile

nc59dude
12-10-2009, 01:02 AM
toyo open country AT's. quiet, good traction, long lasting. and you can usually find them buy 3 get 1 free at colony tire around here at least.