PDA

View Full Version : Air Compressor Problems

WJJEEPIN
12-03-2009, 12:13 AM
Sup all,

Pops picked up an air compressor from harbor freight. I know HF isnt great stuff but it shouldnt have this problem.

The compressor fires up and fills the tank. Hook up an impact gun or any misc tool and it runs for a few seconds at full power and then tapes off. This is a 21 gallon and "should" run for longer than that. Is this a bunk unit? Is there something I am not doing right? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=94667

Thanks

FortCollinsZJ
12-03-2009, 12:18 AM
It must have an adjustable regulator, no? It sounds like it is using high pressure built up in the hose, then the regulator is limiting flow after that.

By "a few seconds" do you litterally mean 3 seconds? Or longer?

WJJEEPIN
12-03-2009, 12:25 AM
It must have an adjustable regulator, no? It sounds like it is using high pressure built up in the hose, then the regulator is limiting flow after that.

By "a few seconds" do you litterally mean 3 seconds? Or longer?

Literally 2-3 seconds. The hose is 30-50' so that sounds like it might be it. But I have been messing with the output regulator and it doesnt seem to make a difference, I could be doing it wrong. Would not emptying it make a differece? I dont think my pops has released the bottom bolt to get rid of moisture.

FortCollinsZJ
12-03-2009, 12:34 AM
I waited WAY too long to empty mine (like a year after purchase) and it pissed about a quart and a half of water. :eek: I don't think that has anything to do with the regulator, but it could POSSIBLY screw with it. I also cannot adjust my regukater hardly at all with full pressure in the tank, it gets so dang tight I gor a hand cramp trying to adjust the little knob.

FWIW HTH.

WJJEEPIN
12-03-2009, 12:38 AM
Ok its only maybe 6 months old and used 5 times.

ATL ZJ
12-03-2009, 12:50 AM
Yank the power and open the drain valve to depressurize the tank. Stick a gauge on the end of your air hose with a simple quick disconnect fitting on it, plug your power back in, and see if it reads the same as the gauge on your regulator.

I have an old 20 gal devilbiss compressor that I got off craigslist and its gauge reads way low. once I figured that out, it's been great.

rstrucks
12-03-2009, 12:54 AM
That should run air tools for more than a few seconds. What do your gauges say?

WJJEEPIN
12-03-2009, 01:20 AM
It says its full, over 120 psi. But once you press the trigger on the tool it just plummets.

Thanks for the tips guys.

Pearce
12-03-2009, 11:25 AM
Couple ideas here
1) When it is completely empty and you turn it on to fill it up, does it take a while to fill and shut off? If it is not running long then maybe the pressure switch or guage is bad and it's shutting off before the tank is full.
2) It looks like it has a regulator on it already also, it may have gone bad. Can you take it off and see if the system will flow properly. It may be that the regulator is not allowing good flow but while the pump is running it is charging not only the tank but also your line hooked to it.
3) there could be trash in the line before the regulator that is causing it not to flow when you pull the trigger on a tool.

I'd check to see first the tank is actually filling, then eliminate the components to trouble shoot them.

Ken L
12-03-2009, 12:11 PM
First thing I would do is check what HF's return policy is on it. If it's under warranty and they'll still take it back, just bring it back to them and be done with it.

Something is effed with it. Regulator, valving, pressure switch, something. For a unit that has acted like that pretty much since new, I wouldn't dick around trouble shooting it. If you can exchange it for another one, that's what I would do.

cklanish
03-21-2010, 09:14 PM
I have the black 25 gal one from hf.It runs my air tools as long as i need it I even used a body saw and mini grinder on it to put on my cutouts. I have had it for about 9 months now use it at least an hour a week since new. http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=99925