PDA

View Full Version : Cracked radiator/bad heater core

spykosshow
11-24-2009, 02:57 PM
2001.5 Dodge Ram 2500 with the 5.9 Cummins

I've got a leak from the radiator, and I've found the crack - It's in the reservoir. Any suggestions on where to get it? I'm thinking Radiatorbarn.com. They're 207 bucks plus tax, carquest is at $250.

Next question - I think my heater core is leaking. I turn on my heat and it smells like coolant. Also, When using defrost it makes my windows look like steamy sex no matter what the temperature or blower are set at.

I guess it makes sense to change both at the same time? How big of a pain is to remove the heater core? I've googled it, and it says both you can just lift the dash and change it and then that you have to take the whole dash off.

I'm worried that since my dash is cracked and chunks are missing, that I'm going to have to replace the whole dash at the same time.

Suggestions?

ATL ZJ
11-24-2009, 03:06 PM
Have you looked at getting the radiator repaired locally? If it's not a specialty radiator, a good radiator shop can repair it for 1/4 to 1/3 of the price of a new unit.

In a ZJ, the heater core is the last thing to come out. So if Dodge/Chrysler used a similar design in your truck, yes, it would be a great time to replace the dash.

spykosshow
11-24-2009, 03:59 PM
Have you looked at getting the radiator repaired locally? If it's not a specialty radiator, a good radiator shop can repair it for 1/4 to 1/3 of the price of a new unit.

In a ZJ, the heater core is the last thing to come out. So if Dodge/Chrysler used a similar design in your truck, yes, it would be a great time to replace the dash.

It's just the plastic reservoir on the driver side. I'll have to call around and see.

I've done some research, and it doesn't look like too bad of a job to replace the heater core on this beast. I've found this - http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/dev/quick-way-change-heatrer-core-2-3hours-t229112.html and read up on that. Rock auto has a heater core for $78 that has the swivel tubes that they all talk about in that thread. I'm going to go that route versus cutting the tubes.

ELLLLLIOTTTTT
11-24-2009, 04:03 PM
I've never been big on repairing radiators. If one of the tanks has failed, it's likely another part of it is soon on it's way out. I don't know what the guarantee is on Radiator Barn's products but most auto parts stores offer a lifetime warranty on radiators.

Like Cam said, the heater core is kind of a PITA to get to. Do some digging around to make sure it isn't one of the hoses and/or the grommet from the firewall. If you do pull the core get it pressure tested at a radiator shop and install with new hoses and o-rings.

spykosshow
11-24-2009, 04:31 PM
I've never been big on repairing radiators. If one of the tanks has failed, it's likely another part of it is soon on it's way out. I don't know what the guarantee is on Radiator Barn's products but most auto parts stores offer a lifetime warranty on radiators.

Like Cam said, the heater core is kind of a PITA to get to. Do some digging around to make sure it isn't one of the hoses and/or the grommet from the firewall. If you do pull the core get it pressure tested at a radiator shop and install with new hoses and o-rings.

I called around a guy I spoke to about all this said that these radiators are very friendly for tank repairs like that. I'm going to just buy a new one.

I bought the last heater core in Raleigh for a 2nd gen ram for $74 at carquest. I'm calling carquest again to ask about the warranty on their radiator.

ATL ZJ
11-24-2009, 04:47 PM
I've never been big on repairing radiators. If one of the tanks has failed, it's likely another part of it is soon on it's way out.

That logic might be fitting when the radiator is question in 40 years old and off a rusted Land Cruiser, but on a <10 year old truck, I'd question whether the part is really past its service life. The radiator shops around here will clean a rad externally and internally by immersion and then insert a rod into each tube to remove debris. Then they replace tank(s) and recore as needed, and test the unit. The process is old school but legit. Definitely cooler than throwing away something just because it isn't new.

Damn I sound like an environmentalist or something. :rolleyes:

spykosshow
11-24-2009, 05:13 PM
That logic might be fitting when the radiator is question in 40 years old and off a rusted Land Cruiser, but on a <10 year old truck, I'd question whether the part is really past its service life. The radiator shops around here will clean a rad externally and internally by immersion and then insert a rod into each tube to remove debris. Then they replace tank(s) and recore as needed, and test the unit. The process is old school but legit. Definitely cooler than throwing away something just because it isn't new.

Damn I sound like an environmentalist or something. :rolleyes:

I couldn't find anyone that would be able to do that. I guess my next question is how do I get rid of the old radiator? I'm gonna take a picture of the crack, it's bad.

ATL ZJ
11-24-2009, 05:23 PM
I couldn't find anyone that would be able to do that. I guess my next question is how do I get rid of the old radiator? I'm gonna take a picture of the crack, it's bad.

Does a new one require a core?

Donate it to the radiator shop.

Rob the trans cooler out of it and bury the rest :flipoff2:

paulkeith
11-24-2009, 05:36 PM
insert a rod into each tube to remove debris.

35%!!

I'm going to have to side with Elliot on this one. Something led to that crack, and unless they replace everything on the radiator of that same material with new, there's a good chance the rest of the parts of that material are right behind it in line to break, either from heat or vibration.

UNLESS we're talking like a direct impact that caused a crack, then yes, a repair is probably the smarter route. Also in the case of an impact resulting in a leak in one of the tubes, etc. But for a fatigue/age failure of a tank or other part, more parts on that radiator are tired.

spykosshow
11-24-2009, 10:22 PM
35%!!

I'm going to have to side with Elliot on this one. Something led to that crack, and unless they replace everything on the radiator of that same material with new, there's a good chance the rest of the parts of that material are right behind it in line to break, either from heat or vibration.

UNLESS we're talking like a direct impact that caused a crack, then yes, a repair is probably the smarter route. Also in the case of an impact resulting in a leak in one of the tubes, etc. But for a fatigue/age failure of a tank or other part, more parts on that radiator are tired.

Looking at the crack closely, you can tell it's just from heat/cool contractions/expansions and aging. It's bulging a little bit and has cracks up and down it.

spykosshow
11-27-2009, 12:59 PM
Well I'm glad I changed it out when I did. When I parked it to change the parts out the crack had gotten bigger and was spraying coolant straight out forward. There was coolant on the push bar on the front of the truck, a good 6 inches in front of the crack.

Took only about 45 minutes to change the radiator out. Tons easier than the jeeps because nothing is attached to the radiator except the shroud and a wire loom. The heater core took probably about 4 hours and wasn't too too bad. I ended up cutting the hard lines off the new heater core and running soft heater line up to 4 or so inches off the heater core. I would have had to taken the entire heater box out meaning I would have had to deal with the ac lines and stuff.

I've got a few pictures of the job, but my camera is at my house. I'll post them later.

Jeeptech01
11-29-2009, 11:59 AM
Did you replace the dash at the same time? If you put a new one in leave the upper 8mm bolts (across the top of the dash) barely tight. This will allow the dash some expansion/contraction room and give it a longer life span.

spykosshow
11-29-2009, 10:36 PM
Did you replace the dash at the same time? If you put a new one in leave the upper 8mm bolts (across the top of the dash) barely tight. This will allow the dash some expansion/contraction room and give it a longer life span.

I had already spent close to 400 on parts and stuff, I didn't want to spend another 300 on a dash. I'm going to buy the rug cover from Geno's.

My camera is being dumb so I can't upload pictures. I'll get them on here eventually.

ELLLLLIOTTTTT
11-29-2009, 11:16 PM
That's good you didn't have to discharge the a/c. I was able to squeeze mine out too with disconnecting all that junk.

Jeeptech01
11-30-2009, 09:49 AM
I had already spent close to 400 on parts and stuff, I didn't want to spend another 300 on a dash. I'm going to buy the rug cover from Geno's.

My camera is being dumb so I can't upload pictures. I'll get them on here eventually.

Cool. Im surprised the aftermarket hasnt started popping those out yet.