PDA

View Full Version : Miller Diversion TIG - thoughts?

rstrucks
11-05-2009, 11:29 AM
Well, we got a new tig welder here at the shop, the Diversion 165. I know some people think of it as a watered down, Barbie version of a real welder but so far I like it. It is fairly simple to operate and I really like the trigger on the torch feature. The price is right in comparison to the bigger, more knobs machines so it may be something I look into for use at the house. I don't tig that much and I'm not that good at it - yet - so I don't want a high dollar machine anyway.

I was wondering what some of you more experienced weldors thought of the machine.

ATL ZJ
11-05-2009, 11:38 AM
Is its torch water cooled? My friends who TIG weld regularly say don't bother unless it's water cooled.

Buddy of mine just picked up a miller XMT 304 for next to nothing. How does the Diversion compare to a multi-process machine like that?

rccolacc
11-08-2009, 12:16 AM
I've read up on that Miller and I don't think the torch is water cooled. It's kind of "entry level" and a simple machine. I've heard good things about it though, and I think it'd be good for a shop machine. It may not work well in a welding shop, but who cares when someone like us is buying it for working on their Jeep.
I welded up our formula car a few years ago when I was in SAE at school. We used the school's Lincoln 185 I think it was, and it wasn't a water cooled torch. It was OK for small stuff (like the .080" thick chromoly for the car) when you didn't have to go over 60amps, but anything more than that you needed thick gloves or your hand was pretty hot after a few minutes. I could see where a water cooled torch would be handy, but then again it's more cost and more to go wrong.
How much is that Miller? I've heard it's not too much more than 1K, which seems like a good deal. What are you using it for? Cages and stuff?
Have fun playing with it. I'm jealous. Wish I had one.
-RC

rstrucks
11-10-2009, 11:33 PM
Is its torch water cooled? My friends who TIG weld regularly say don't bother unless it's water cooled.

Buddy of mine just picked up a miller XMT 304 for next to nothing. How does the Diversion compare to a multi-process machine like that?

It's not water cooled. I have not used it for that long at one sitting so heat may become an issue but I have yet to notice anything. I wouldn't be doing any heavy-volume welding with it anyway.

Define "next to nothing". That's a $3000 machine isn't it? I'd like to have one, just because they can do it all, but it's not really in the budget for my home shop.

I've read up on that Miller and I don't think the torch is water cooled. It's kind of "entry level" and a simple machine. I've heard good things about it though, and I think it'd be good for a shop machine. It may not work well in a welding shop, but who cares when someone like us is buying it for working on their Jeep.

That's pretty much what I've been thinking.

I welded up our formula car a few years ago when I was in SAE at school. We used the school's Lincoln 185 I think it was, and it wasn't a water cooled torch. It was OK for small stuff (like the .080" thick chromoly for the car) when you didn't have to go over 60amps, but anything more than that you needed thick gloves or your hand was pretty hot after a few minutes. I could see where a water cooled torch would be handy, but then again it's more cost and more to go wrong.
How much is that Miller? I've heard it's not too much more than 1K, which seems like a good deal. What are you using it for? Cages and stuff?
Have fun playing with it. I'm jealous. Wish I had one.
-RC

I've only been welding stainless exhaust and .120 DOM. It seems to work great for both. IIRC the amperage is around 115-120 for that thickness tube. For the amount of time welding - no hot torch yet.

MSRP is over $1600 but EBAY says just over $1200 will put one on your doorstep. I'd use it for cages and random aluminum parts. I think that's a fair price for an entry level machine. Naturally, a high dollar machine would be ideal but I don't want a welder that is too much better than the weldor.;)

ATL ZJ
11-10-2009, 11:47 PM
Define "next to nothing". That's a $3000 machine isn't it? I'd like to have one, just because they can do it all, but it's not really in the budget for my home shop.

I think free. It was a gift from a friend of his dad who runs a manufacturing company that closed down a facility. I guess sometimes life throws lemonade?

rstrucks
11-11-2009, 01:03 PM
I think free. It was a gift from a friend of his dad who runs a manufacturing company that closed down a facility. I guess sometimes life throws lemonade?

Dang, he got lucky. I looked up the MSRP on that and it is closer to 4K plus add ons. Does he want to sell it and make some quick cash? :D

Any other opinions on the Diversion 165?