PDA

View Full Version : need info on Chevy 6.0s

sasdranger
10-13-2009, 11:05 AM
While I want a 7.3 I still really like the 03/04 Chevy 2500HDs, but I don't know a damn thing about the 6.0 Vortec except it isn't the greatest on fuel. The newer Chevy V8s are great motors but i just want to know if they have any known problems, or how long they tend to last.:confused:

rstrucks
10-13-2009, 11:22 AM
They are great engines. You nailed it though - not the best on fuel. That's about the only down side I can think of. I was seriously looking at a 6.0 2500 when I was in the market for a FS truck. I'm glad I ended up going diesel though. Power and MPG.

ATL ZJ
10-13-2009, 11:46 AM
For a gas tow rig, I don't think you could get a much better bang for your buck than a 6.0. I have a friend that pulls a rig with a 5.3 and he wishes he had more power sometimes. The 6.0 will also probably do a little better on fuel than an 8.1 would. But any of the Gen III/IV vortecs should blow the older motors out of the water.

You may want to read billavista's LS primer on pirate. In it he mentions that GM claims these motors have a 400,000 mile longevity design. http://pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/LSPrimer/Part1/

Plus, there are a bunch of relatively inexpensive ways to dramatically increase the power if you ever want more. I'm in the process of putting a 6.0 in my trail rig but I wouldn't mind having one in my tow rig.. although the titan 5.6 isn't a bad motor either.

sasdranger
10-13-2009, 02:40 PM
I could probably get a tuner and intake to squeeze a little more mileage out of it, but while I'm towing its all gonna go out the window.

I'm still looking for a diesel but its proving very difficult to find a Crew cab, 6 speed, 4wd 7.3 with under 200k in my price range. I'm finding 2500HDs left and right around 10-12g.

And yea, the 8.1 is nonsense, it would be badass to have a 496 BBC but its wayyyy too big to be practical over a diesel.

Also,
1) I KNOW I'm gonna mod a diesel if i get one.. more $$ not going towards a trailer or time wheelin .........and i haven't wheeled the ranger since July. :smt009
2) Diesels are more expensive to fix when they break.
3) I know a quite about gas motors... not so much about diesels.

If i end up with a gasser then in a few years once the car payments on my new snap-on box are paid off and I can afford a gooseneck big enough for 2 rigs (biggest reason i want/need a one ton diesel) I'll trade the truck in on a diesel.

BigClay
10-13-2009, 03:30 PM
I need a family hauler/tow rig, and my first want was a 7.3 Excursion, but like you, my budget and the prices of those are not matching. So I have decided on the 6.0 2500 Suburban. The gas mileage is not going to be awesome, but it looks like it is actually going to be better than the 5.7 in my 1999 Tahoe. Most guys that I have talked to that do some towing always say a diesel is your number one option, but you can buy a lot of gas to put in a gasser with the money you would save from buying a diesel. :)

96JGCL
10-13-2009, 03:50 PM
6.0L Vortec Max = Iron Block LS2

When GM designed their current run of LS style motors. they designed them to be made out of the same block design. That means the 4.8L too the 7.0L are the same blocks. (differences are ones iron and ones aluminum).

Any part built for one LS engine can swap onto another. And not to mention their 6 bolt mains with a girdle. beefy

IndyZJ
10-13-2009, 04:43 PM
6.0L Vortec Max = Iron Block LS2

When GM designed their current run of LS style motors. they designed them to be made out of the same block design. That means the 4.8L too the 7.0L are the same blocks. (differences are ones iron and ones aluminum).

Any part built for one LS engine can swap onto another. And not to mention their 6 bolt mains with a girdle. beefy

This is mostly true, but in the LSX and 7.0 blocks the bores go a little bit deeper into the block to allow for more stroke. But that doesn't really apply to this thread. I've got a 5.3 for my YJ with 150,000 miles on it out of a suburban; I pulled the heads out of curiousity, and the bores still look new, along with the rest of the internals. Of course it depends on maintenance, but these things, especially the iron blocks, are VERY durable.

faststang1
10-13-2009, 07:16 PM
have drove a newer V10 from ford...My pops has a 37 foot motorhome with a V10 and has so much power..we tow are 32ft offshoreboat which is 6500lbs not loaded and we could criuse at 65-70mph..it a better than the 6.0. the V10 gets 10mpg no matter wat towing or not towing!!!
6.0 is a pretty good motor tho,just wont take a v10!!

sasdranger
10-13-2009, 07:35 PM
i will take a 6.0 over the v10 any day.

i think uhaul vans have 5.4s in them and they pulled my truck at 70, i'm pretty sure it and the trailer+all the shit in the trucks was more than 6500

goodolboy71
10-14-2009, 10:01 AM
i have had about 20 2500HD's and 1500HD's in the past 2 yrs with the 6.0....its a good reliable engine, but lacks the power in the towing dept if your going to tow. I could never get any better than 12-13 out of any, and usually around the 11-12 mark, and 7-9 towing. I wasnt impressed at all with it. I get around 10-11 with my current one with the 8.1 and a whole lot more power when towing. None of them are as good as the Duramax or 7.3 for towing or MPG, but if I had a choice i would go with the 8.1....I group the 5.3,5.4 ford, and 6.0 in the same column...ok for occasional towing and everyday driving, but if i had to tow often and heavy, i would scratch it off the list. The wife use to drive a 2500 Suburban with the 6.0 and Quadsteer but hell we get the same fuel with a 8.1 so we sold it and got her that one.I like those over the 6.8 ford V10...Although I should have never sold the Excursion with the 7.3 we had..that was a beast

Current vehicles we demo and use- 02 Suburban 2500 4x4 w/ 8.1, 02 Chevrolet CC 2500HD 4x4 w/ 6.0, 06 Chevy 2500HD 4x4 CC with Duramax and Allison, and 02 F150 5.4 with heavy tow package..

6.0 is a good engine, but I wouldnt turn down a 8.1 either. We sell more 6.0's than any other version due to 1- Cheaper , and 2- 85% of them out there are 6.0's

faststang1
10-14-2009, 02:00 PM
i will take a 6.0 over the v10 any day.

i think uhaul vans have 5.4s in them and they pulled my truck at 70, i'm pretty sure it and the trailer+all the shit in the trucks was more than 6500

but were u going up a grade for like 25 + miles, at 65-70mph?
A buddy has 2500 hd with 6.0 and 4.10 and it still lacks a lil bit.
it suck when I had my F-150 can keep up with a 5.4 with 3.73
just saying if u havent driven one take a look at them 6.8 is a great work horse if not get a 7.3

BigClay
10-14-2009, 02:27 PM
I think its funny no one has mentioned a Ford diesel 6.0, just the 7.3s

ATL ZJ
10-14-2009, 02:30 PM
Ford makes engines?

goodolboy71
10-14-2009, 02:45 PM

Never had a 7.3, or Dura, or Cummins give me issues, but 2- 03's and 1-05 6.0 blow head gaskets just on me, not even counting other dealers i know who had the same issues makes me not buy them or reccommend them. I dont work em hard either, nor run programmers...i only buy a 6.0 now if its under 100k for warranty. Most folks who buy our trucks dont even want the 6.0 by ford.

That being said I have had 1 allison issue and 2 dodge tranny issues.

sasdranger
10-14-2009, 02:59 PM
I'm just confused and up in the air. It's gonna be my daily driver, tow my ranger every few months, probably tow my buddies yota and maybe Jons jeep occasionally if he doesn't use his dad's truck. It should be fine.. I don't want an 8.1 I'll get a diesel before i get something that big.

My buddy has an 04 with 136k he's been looking to get rid of for a while so he can get a diesel.

http://i602.photobucket.com/albums/tt104/yellowblurrx82/n25421147_33559953_1904.jpg

I'm just leaning towards the 6.0 cause i know how to work on a gas motor, and parts for diesels cost more.. There's a truck for sale down here with 378,xxx miles on it. no idea if its the original motor but the whole truck looks perfect.

cause the 6.0 sucks a big hairy nut :poke: haha

sasdranger
10-14-2009, 03:05 PM
Never had a 7.3, or Dura, or Cummins give me issues, but 2- 03's and 1-05 6.0 blow head gaskets just on me, not even counting other dealers i know who had the same issues makes me not buy them or reccommend them. I dont work em hard either, nor run programmers...i only buy a 6.0 now if its under 100k for warranty. Most folks who buy our trucks dont even want the 6.0 by ford.

That being said I have had 1 allison issue and 2 dodge tranny issues.

yea they suck, head gaskets, egr bs, turbos, injectors. its just a turd.

BigClay
10-14-2009, 03:27 PM
I just brought up the 6.0 diesel b/c when i was in the market for Excursions, I could find 6.0s all day, but very few 7.3s. I have only heard one person say anything good about the 6.0.

faststang1
10-14-2009, 04:14 PM
I just brought up the 6.0 diesel b/c when i was in the market for Excursions, I could find 6.0s all day, but very few 7.3s. I have only heard one person say anything good about the 6.0.

alot friends have 6.0s and only 2 have had problems with but It was all the performance shit they had in them,they bought every over the counter thing for them..they were fast as fuck..they woud do like 90mph like nothing with 36ft toy hualer..but the others are still running good and trouble free..there always going to be good 6.0 and bad ones!!
I like 6.0s but I want a 7.3

goodolboy71
10-14-2009, 05:47 PM
I'm just confused and up in the air. It's gonna be my daily driver, tow my ranger every few months, probably tow my buddies yota and maybe Jons jeep occasionally if he doesn't use his dad's truck. It should be fine.. I don't want an 8.1 I'll get a diesel before i get something that big.

My buddy has an 04 with 136k he's been looking to get rid of for a while so he can get a diesel.

http://i602.photobucket.com/albums/tt104/yellowblurrx82/n25421147_33559953_1904.jpg

I'm just leaning towards the 6.0 cause i know how to work on a gas motor, and parts for diesels cost more.. There's a truck for sale down here with 378,xxx miles on it. no idea if its the original motor but the whole truck looks perfect.

cause the 6.0 sucks a big hairy nut :poke: haha

yea he is dumping his 6.0 to get a diesel...cause when he does pull, it leaves him wanting for more. The difference in pulling a trailer with my ZJ on it from a CC 2500HD with the 6.0 versus the same yr Ext cab z71 with a 5.3 is not enough to justify the cost. the HD doesnt squat as bad in the rear and is a little more stable, but the power just isnt there. Once you go from the factory 245's to a 265 or 285 ( and you know you will), those 4.10's put it inline with the 1500 towing IMO...you worry about the 8.1 but i am here to tell you that the gas mileage is about the same unloaded...8.1's cost the same as the 6.0's here in the carolinas, and upkeep is the same as well...come down to Columbia SC and we will spend all day hooking up the trailer from truck to truck, and you tell me if you think a 6.0 HD is that much better than the regular 1500 powerwise. It just isnt there compared to the cost.

sasdranger
10-14-2009, 06:10 PM
its got 285s on it, once the wear out i planned on taking the leveling kit off, what ever he did to lift the front.. then put stock tires back on probably. I will pay a little more to not have it squat as much and to have it more stable, i know Jon said he didn't like towing with his dads 1500 5.3.

I'm still gonna try and find a 7.3, but yea idk. I've only seen one 8.1 for sale and it wasn't in great shape. He tows his yota buggy at 85/90mph but it also weighs a quite a bit less than a ZJ or my Ranger.

Someone around here has quite a bit done to his 6.0 psd, no problems yet, another guy has a tuner and hasn't had a problem, i also know a guy who's blown 2 head gaskets, the turbo fucked up, 2 injectors went out.. I won't get a 6.0 cause i know i'm gonna get a tuner for whatever i get if its a diesel and a 6.0 is the last thing i need to put a tuner on lol.

bah, so confusing/stressful. I wish there was a truck with no flaws haha

paulkeith
10-14-2009, 06:17 PM
the ford (IH) 6.0 motors can be excellent mills if you get good head studs in em and sort the EGR issues. Once those two big troubles are taken care of I think they're fantastic.

my 7.3 has been great, few troubles with HPOP leaks but that's common. most i've ever towed was probably grossing 15-16k and it handled it no problem, cruising at 60-80/whatever i wanted, and got about 12mpg the whole time. Unloaded i get about 15-16.

BTW Cam, ford in-house designed the successor to the 6.4L, its a 6.7L v8 psd, rumored at 475horse debuting in the '11 trucks.... supposedly breaking with IH as a result of fallout over disputes over warranty issues with the 6.no. so yes, ford designs engines.....:flipoff2:

just my 2 cents on ford diesels. in a thread about GM gassers. :flipoff2:

dp96zj
10-14-2009, 06:34 PM
bah, so confusing/stressful. I wish there was a truck with no flaws haha

There is, but Hillbilly Barnell got it first. :flipoff2:

sasdranger
10-14-2009, 06:59 PM
oh that shit had plenty of flaws haha

rstrucks
10-14-2009, 11:16 PM
the ford (IH) 6.0 motors can be excellent mills if you get good head studs in em and sort the EGR issues.

I have heard that the large majority of 6.0 diesel problems are EGR related. On the other hand I've also heard about other issues as well - as all trucks have - but it's probably compounded by the EGR woes.

sasdranger - I don't know what to tell ya man. I had trouble deciding on a truck too. If I had to DD mine as well, I don't know if I would have picked what I did. Have fun:D

sasdranger
10-14-2009, 11:43 PM
I wish i knew people with trucks and trailers that could tow my junk.. i would already have a Honda :smt101

goodolboy71
10-14-2009, 11:49 PM
the ford (IH) 6.0 motors can be excellent mills if you get good head studs in em and sort the EGR issues. Once those two big troubles are taken care of I think they're fantastic.

my 7.3 has been great, few troubles with HPOP leaks but that's common. most i've ever towed was probably grossing 15-16k and it handled it no problem, cruising at 60-80/whatever i wanted, and got about 12mpg the whole time. Unloaded i get about 15-16.

BTW Cam, ford in-house designed the successor to the 6.4L, its a 6.7L v8 psd, rumored at 475horse debuting in the '11 trucks.... supposedly breaking with IH as a result of fallout over disputes over warranty issues with the 6.no. so yes, ford designs engines.....:flipoff2:

just my 2 cents on ford diesels. in a thread about GM gassers. :flipoff2:

The local ford dealer is across the street from us and the mechanic we deal with for our cars said the same, if you go back with some good arp studs that usually fixes the problem, key word usually. The only issues we see with the 7.3 is the valve cover wire harness that gets brittle and starts to break , but even that is not a big issue...and that new ford diesel is supposed to be a fawking hawse..we will see though, casue the 6.4 still hasnt lived up to what it was billed to be

ELLLLLIOTTTTT
10-15-2009, 12:11 AM
Not totally relevant, but I had an '08 Silverado 1500 Z71 with the 5.3L vortec as a company truck for a few months. It was one of the nicest american vehicles I'd been in, I'd consider trading in my Audi for one.

sasdranger
10-15-2009, 12:16 AM
I've driven a few 08s at work and liked them, but their outa my price range.

jfowlzj95
10-15-2009, 12:18 AM
Not totally relevant, but I had an '08 Silverado 1500 Z71 with the 5.3L vortec as a company truck for a few months. It was one of the nicest american vehicles I'd been in, I'd consider trading in my Audi for one.

I did a temp job over summer with a school district that had a bunch of these, we would have to tow construction equipment up and down a big hill between sites and they did pretty good. They also had a few F550 flatbeds. :D

My dad's truck has the 5.3 and it tows decent, I was able to cruise at 70 through some mild hills towing the ZJ this past weekend. Although there were a few times where it would've been nice to have a 3/4 ton with more power.

sasdranger
10-15-2009, 12:38 AM
geeze Jon, read the posts..

power of a 5.3, mileage of the 8.1.. Problem is i've only seen one 8.1 for sale lol

jfowlzj95
10-15-2009, 12:52 AM
geeze Jon, read the posts..

power of a 5.3, mileage of the 8.1.. Problem is i've only seen one 8.1 for sale lol

That post was mainly giving props to the 08 for anyone else that reads the thread. I've read the posts and know what you're looking for, I've been reminded almost every day through texts. :flipoff2:

You just need to find a way to get to Dallas and get that 2500HD, get a trailer and toob, and go wheelin. :rolleyes:

paulkeith
10-15-2009, 08:27 AM
I have heard that the large majority of 6.0 diesel problems are EGR related. On the other hand I've also heard about other issues as well - as all trucks have - but it's probably compounded by the EGR woes.

I think the head stud problems start to appear when you really start fueling heavily. I've read that the basic design of the motor ends up with 4 head studs per cylinder, and supposedly most other diesels have 5 or 6. A good gasket with ARPs is supposed to be enough for most modders. Also, I think the later gen 6.0s are supposed to be much improved over the early '03 and '04 versions.

I luckily have not had any trouble with the UVC harness on my 7.3, but i know many that have including trojanman. Just wait, bitch won't start when I go to leave work...

Ultimately, the opinion that I'd offer is I have NO idea why anyone would ever buy a gasser 3/4ton+ truck. Saving money is false economy. Diesels make more power, consume less, are more fun to drive, and hold their value better. Any price premium you pay on purchase you will recoup in retained value.

If I bought another truck now, I'd hunt a 2003 7.3 or a late 05/06/07 6.0. I think the quality of the interior of the truck went way up with the '05+ redesigns.

My 0.02. Good luck with your search.

Paul

sasdranger
10-15-2009, 10:32 AM
That post was mainly giving props to the 08 for anyone else that reads the thread. I've read the posts and know what you're looking for, I've been reminded almost every day through texts. :flipoff2:

You just need to find a way to get to Dallas and get that 2500HD, get a trailer and toob, and go wheelin. :rolleyes:

skip the toob, we're goin wheelin as soon as i have the truck :flipoff2:

paul, I've always said the same thing, but i like the 6.0 more than the 5.4 which is why i was/am considering it.. I just cant find what I want at a price i can afford right now. I'm paying $400 a month to tool guys as it is.. if if wasn't for them (my dumbass) i could afford quite a bit more.

sasdranger
10-16-2009, 03:09 PM
anddddddddd my bank just told me, after being approved for a few months.. that its gotta be an 03 or newer with less than 75,000 miles.. good fucking luck finding one in my price range, never mind an 03 with that low of miles.