PDA

View Full Version : Facebook Jeep Club

BullittBuilder
10-02-2009, 03:06 PM
After reading and witnessing first hand on many different occasions the resistance that we face to four wheeling I'm fed up. I put together a group on facebook for those that may not know about this forum to make people aware of our community. I want to get the word out about H.R.1925, because I really do not want to see it pass.
Every year it seems things get worse and opportunities shot to hell for the places we all love to go wheeling. Everyone feel free to join up, get out the word. People here have been asking about why we don't have a unified voice, well let's create one. I love four wheeling and I love nature as do many others here. It's not a choice between one or the other, we don't go haphazardly destroying all we see so no one else can enjoy what we witnessed. It has also come to my attention after yesterday's "hearing" that many outdoor outfitters are also proponents of this bill. We can take our business elsewhere or at the very least get them believing that we won't stand for the hypocrisy of an "outdoor" company supporting a bill that restricts and hurts many in the outdoor community.
We can do all this and more by making calls to area politicians and representatives how we feel and fight to keep land open for people like us and for our children when we pass our rigs on to them as well as this great tradition of four wheeling. Ok that's enough. Try the link first but if it doesn't work the name of the group is American Off Road Awareness. Here's the link American Off-Road Awareness | Facebook
(http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=144498547309&ref=mf)

ATL ZJ
10-02-2009, 03:29 PM
Nice first post, even though it might belong in Land Use. I'm shocked there isn't more chatter going on here about Moab among the guys that live out West. I live in GA and have contacted my representatives about the RedRock bill, and honestly I don't have much desire to visit Moab. But I know a number of my friends like to go out there, as well as a lot of you here, so it's worth my time to do what I can to fight for trail access.

The fb group is a good start, but we need to somehow band together and pool our money to prove four wheelers are a large voting group demanding legislators' attention. Watch where you spend your money and know what stores support extremist greenie groups. I know most of my purchases at outdoor stores are for camping gear that I use while wheeling anyway. It's hard to keep track of, but try not to support companies that donate a percentage of sales to the sierra club to shut our trails down.

CrawlerReady
10-02-2009, 03:37 PM
Nice first post, even though it might belong in Land Use. I'm shocked there isn't more chatter going on here about Moab among the guys that live out West. I live in GA and have contacted my representatives about the RedRock bill, and honestly I don't have much desire to visit Moab. But I know a number of my friends like to go out there, as well as a lot of you here, so it's worth my time to do what I can to fight for trail access.

The fb group is a good start, but we need to somehow band together and pool our money to prove four wheelers are a large voting group demanding legislators' attention. Watch where you spend your money and know what stores support extremist greenie groups. I know most of my purchases at outdoor stores are for camping gear that I use while wheeling anyway. It's hard to keep track of, but try not to support companies that donate a percentage of sales to the sierra club to shut our trails down.

I think most the chatter is on our local boards....at least a few of the guys on here and I are mostly discussing it on a local Utah board we frequent.

There is talk of putting a list together of all the companies that DO support us so the people can give them our business. Rather than creating a list of companies to boycott, this will give companies a reason to support us and want to get on that list.

AgitatedPancake
10-02-2009, 03:40 PM
REI is one of those stores, my brother in law has told me about it for years.

Technohead
10-02-2009, 04:00 PM
A Facebook club is a fine idea but it will not generate the kind of political clout that is necessary to fight these proposals. If you are serious about effecting change then I offer the following suggestions:

Join a local 4WD club. Become active in the club. Don't just go on trail rides; make sure your club organizes and/or participates in other events such as toy rides and clean-ups. Invite the news media to cover these events and strive to get pictures of your Jeep (or whatever it is) shown as part of the event coverage.
Affilliate your club with regional and national associations such as the UFWDA. Assign a delegate who will be the voice of your club at association meetings. Important: Donate money to PAC's that will lobby on our behalf.
Never wheel illegally and discourage others from doing so. Follow tread lightly principles.

BullittBuilder
10-02-2009, 11:44 PM
More action can be taken. I've been doing more research and came across this website http://www.opencongress.org/bill/111-h1925/show See my facebook group for further details. It is quite pertinent and I think gives us some more strength and can keep us better informed. Thanks everyone so far. This is true and I do belong to a local Jeep club. But the internet is a great tool that we can use which is part of my goal. I want to provide a place that we all can share our ideas at for what the best course of action is. Talking with other four wheelers across the nation on facebook is one avenue. Paying close watch to politicians and writing, calling, and where we place our vote is another way. It's all about getting out a message to people through different avenues. Put out an informed front, with enough people paying attention and knowledge of what to do will take further hold in organizations like the UFWDA. Your criticism is welcomed and shows others a message of what to do besides oin the group. I encourage you to join as well. Thanks and happy wheeling

zjrog
10-03-2009, 01:15 PM
I was just invited to join this group, The Access Army (http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/group.php?gid=145833508275). Del Albright started it.