PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Tire questions

LouisianaZJ
09-27-2009, 01:09 PM
I just picked up a 20' bumper pull 7,000lb trailer, dual axle. I am going thru it and upgrading where required.

I noticed the tires are "liberator" P215 R15 tires, they look pretty new maybe 200 miles on them. Max psi listed is 44. What psi should I be running? is a "P" series tire sufficient, or safe... I know should have checked this out further before buying, but got a decent deal on the trailer and the only things marginal are the tires & wiring, steel frame is in good shape

Varkyl
09-30-2009, 02:25 PM
What load range are the tires?
The mushier sidewall on a P-series tire can cause the trailer to sway. The ST-series tires have stiffer sidewalls that help reduce that.

Steve.693
10-01-2009, 07:27 AM
Not sure down there but I know in Canada it isn't legal to run P rated tires on a trailer.

Technohead
10-01-2009, 09:53 AM
I'll echo the other guys comments about P rated tires on a trailer. Not a smart thing to do and quite possibly illegal in some areas.

As to the air pressure question, max air pressure corresponds to the max load rating (both of which are listed on the tire). Generally speaking, if the actual load on the tires is less than the max load rating then you reduce the air pressure proportionately.

Katesdad
10-07-2009, 08:27 AM
All Ill say is under inflated trailer tires will wear quickly and blowouts are a real possibility. Even with trailer rated tires.