PDA

View Full Version : Possbile new product: Tranny skid

FortCollinsZJ
09-23-2009, 01:21 PM
Hey guys, I have another product I may offer if you would need one, I know I do! Something to protect that weak ass tranny pan!

I have been mulling this idea over in my head for quite a while and it's time to make it happen.

1.5" DOM tube bent for a skid frame, then 3//16" or 1/4" plate skid, you'll have the option of either at different prices, The skid will anchor to the drivers side UCA tab on the body, this will work with stock arms or radious arms. I may also offer a custom cut piece of UHMW plastic 1/2" thick to be bolted to the bottom, cause that stuff is :bling: Also would HREW tube keep anyone from buing it? DOM just makes the price higher for you all.

Heres the deal, this will work with a stock crossmember, aswell as Claytons crossmember BUT will require some cutting or bending of the Claytons belly skid. Issues?

So let me know if this is something some of you would want, Price isn't set yet.

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa231/NEILZJ/Sketch-up%20Drawings/skid2.jpg

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa231/NEILZJ/Sketch-up%20Drawings/Transmissionskid.jpg

SirFuego
09-23-2009, 01:33 PM
I would definitely be interested.

Let me know if you need more pictures of the front of the belly skid if you don't already have one to mock up. I don't see cutting/bending of the Clayton's skid to be an issue since (I would think) the only parts you would need to modify shouldn't affect any structure.

Is that arm going to interfere with the driveshaft?

My concern with HREW is that it dents easier than DOM. However, if it's supported underneath by metal plating, I don't think that would be an issue. But I'm not a fabricator and don't have enough experience to tell you whether my comment on HREW is correct or not...

ATL ZJ
09-23-2009, 02:10 PM
My concern with HREW is that it dents easier than DOM. But I'm not a fabricator and don't have enough experience to tell you whether my comment on HREW is correct or not...

It's definitely correct.

FCZJ, I would consider building these out of DOM unless you're planning to use thick wall tubing. Is the plan for .120 wall HREW? What's the thickest wall that gottrikes bender will safely bend?

FortCollinsZJ
09-23-2009, 07:25 PM
I was thinking of using .120, but .188 would be the better alternative, I have heard of a few people bending .250 with this bender, but I wouldn't want to risk breaking the bender for that.

The only reason I think HREW would be ok is because the skid plate will reach to the outer edges of the tube and protects and strengthen it ALOT.

Driveshaft clearance is the only "issue" I forsee, but I am confident I can make the skid work.

So what fo you think? .120 wall DOM or .188 wall HREW?

zj95maxx
09-23-2009, 08:24 PM
I was thinking of using .120, but .188 would be the better alternative, I have heard of a few people bending .250 with this bender, but I wouldn't want to risk breaking the bender for that.

The only reason I think HREW would be ok is because the skid plate will reach to the outer edges of the tube and protects and strengthen it ALOT.

Driveshaft clearance is the only "issue" I forsee, but I am confident I can make the skid work.

So what fo you think? .120 wall DOM or .188 wall HREW?

I vote .120 dom, but if you use hrew, put the seam on the inside of the bend.

FortCollinsZJ
09-23-2009, 08:30 PM
Ok, I wil build myself one, install it, then drop the jeep off the highlift onto the skid from 6", that will be the test to see how it works.

SirFuego
04-12-2010, 09:28 AM
Any progress on this?

albersondh
05-25-2010, 10:16 PM
Anything?

Screwfly
07-18-2010, 05:15 PM
Neil, If you need a guinea pig, let me know. ;)

biggoofy
10-13-2010, 11:54 AM
any new progress on this Neil

blackzj52
10-13-2010, 12:46 PM
im going to guess no, since he just got into wreck with his zj. Although I am interested in this.