PDA

View Full Version : F- 150??

grandmaster
09-21-2009, 09:56 PM
Alright peeps, looking at purchasing an F-150 sometime soon, (I hope) I've been looking around and keeping my eye open for a good deal.

My question is... There are 2 V8's that were offered in the 150 model for the particular years I am looking at. There is the 5.0 and the 5.6....Obviously the bigger one will be better for towing, but do you think the 5.0 would be good? Just want some opinions....I will mostly just be having my 4 wheeler, or bullet bike in the back, and then towing the jeep on a trailer every now and again. At least thats the plan. So give me your .02 and tell me what you think. Thanks in advance

CrawlerReady
09-21-2009, 10:04 PM
First thing to beware of before checking.....if it has a FORD symbol that is circled anywhere on the vehicle DON'T BUY!

That's all.

grandmaster
09-21-2009, 10:11 PM
hahaha, My dad works for ford :) Better price then a chev...! or dodge!

CrawlerReady
09-21-2009, 10:15 PM
That's true...because Chevy's hold their value.....I wonder why? ;)

grandmaster
09-21-2009, 10:18 PM
Because nobody can drive them if they don't run, so the "Value" comes from having a great looking rig with clean paint and interior ;)

CrawlerReady
09-21-2009, 10:21 PM
haha I really have nothing useful to add to this thread, good luck on the purchase though, I wanna see it when you get it!

SirFuego
09-21-2009, 10:22 PM
My buddy has the 5.6L in his F-150. We were both towing our rigs and he fell behind on some of the hills following me in a few places -- but my Dodge is geared at 3.92 and his is geared at 3.55. I haven't heard him complain about it. It's a newer model, but I know he's had it for at least 3.5 years. That's all I really have to add.

zj95maxx
09-21-2009, 10:25 PM
Towing with a f-150 is about as dumb as towing with a titan.

get at least a 3/4 ton truck.

CrawlerReady
09-21-2009, 10:32 PM
Wait, maybe I can add something to this! You know Tyler Harper I think...? Anyways he towed his LJ with his brother's 2005 F-150 to Moab quite a few times and it did just as well as my 1990 Chevy 2500. He also got better mileage.

grandmaster
09-21-2009, 10:33 PM
Thank's for the input from both of ya ( and tyler ;) ) Every little bit of info helps.

My buddy has a F-150 that he pulls a bobcat tractor with that outweighs the jeep by quite a bit. He said he does just fine towing it, is a bit slow on the hills but can't complain for pulling something so heavy. For those of you who live in Utah or know what/where Parley's canyon is, he said he can do 65 up the canyon pulling the trailer and cat. It's a pretty steep and long climb too.

grandmaster
09-21-2009, 10:35 PM
Wait, maybe I can add something to this! You know Tyler Harper I think...? Anyways he towed his LJ with his brother's 2005 F-150 to Moab quite a few times and it did just as well as my 1990 Chevy 2500. He also got better mileage.

Name sound familiar.... but I don't think I KNOW him. Maybe met or seen him. Thats basically the only place I wll be towing the jeep, with the exception of SLC... and some local places.

CrawlerReady
09-21-2009, 10:39 PM
He's one of my buddies...anyways point being his brother's 2005 F-150 with the 5.6L did it's job well.

zj95maxx
09-21-2009, 10:47 PM
Pats half ton titan will tow the heavy ass trailer and heavy jeep. Just because it CAN tow it and it's "slow up hills", does not mean it SHOULD tow it....

Trannys will hate you and fail prematurely if you tow with a rig not suitable to safely tow that much weight.

Hopefully the titan will be swapped out with an f-250 or better in the near future...

paulkeith
09-21-2009, 11:18 PM
pulling is much less important than stopping. make sure if you do tow anywhere near the vehicle's tow rating that you have good trailer brakes.

braking is where the 3/4+ trucks really leave the 1/2 ton equipment behind.

keeping it out of o/d when needed and having a good tranny cooler will go a long way to helping the tranny survive.

after 3.5 years of owning my 250 i still dont know why anyone would purchase a 1/2 ton truck. I get 16mpg mixed all day long and can pull 3x what gasser 150 can, and the extra investment in a diesel 3/4ton will come back to you in the form of higher resale value down the road.

good luck with your search.
Paul

ajmorell
09-21-2009, 11:25 PM
I take it you are looking at a pre 97 model. There were 2 v8s offered, the 5.0 302 v8 and the 5.8 351 v8. My dad owned and grandpa owns 1993s ext cab short-boxes with the 302. I've been driving my grandpa's as of late since I still don't have my jeep back together and I gotta say I like it. I haven't towed more than a 14' boat behind it but I imagine it would do fine with most medium sized trailers. I think it would struggle with a car-hauler behind it though. I would look for the 351 personally. It is a good reliable motor and should last you a long time.

IndyZJ
09-21-2009, 11:32 PM
You don't hear too many people who use trucks for what they were meant for complaining about getting too big of a truck. It might cost you a couple grand up front, but that's pretty much negated by the first tranny rebuild and brake job/ upgrade. My .02

BigDaveZJ
09-21-2009, 11:42 PM
Diesel truck prices still haven't really recovered from last year's fuel prices from what I've seen, you might be able to find a deal out there.

A 1/2 ton will do it if you're equipped right, but a 3/4 will do it and almost everything else better.

rstrucks
09-21-2009, 11:53 PM
There is the 5.0 and the 5.6....

My buddy has the 5.6L in his F-150.

F-150 with the 5.6L did it's job well.

What's this 5.6 that everyone is talking about? :D

I used to tow my car with my 5.9 ZJ, switched to a Dodge diesel 3500 and will never look back. 20 mpg on the highway vs. 16 (stock) with the ZJ is a bonus. I know this isn't a 1/2 ton vs. larger debate but I'd think about how much towing you are really going to be doing. Hooking up a car trailer once or twice a year to go just a few miles doesn't really justify going all out and the 5.0 or 5.8 F-150 would be fine. If you are going to be towing fairly often I'd consider going with a 3/4 ton or larger. You don't have to spend a ton to get a good HD truck either.

faststang1
09-22-2009, 12:33 AM
First thing to beware of before checking.....if it has a FORD symbol that is circled anywhere on the vehicle DON'T BUY!

That's all.

I would have to disagree with u..I've always been in ford trucks.I have had chevys and dodge trucks to.the F-150 tows better than the other 2!!

CrawlerReady
09-22-2009, 12:49 AM
I guess you missed the sarcasm in my post. I'm a Chevy guy at heart so I've gotta rip on Ford's right?

CrawlerReady
09-22-2009, 12:50 AM
Diesel truck prices still haven't really recovered from last year's fuel prices from what I've seen, you might be able to find a deal out there.

This is definitely true! I picked up my '04 Duramax a few months back for $14,500....can't go wrong with that! Also Ford's seem to be cheaper, like already said

grandmaster
09-22-2009, 01:09 AM
I take it you are looking at a pre 97 model. There were 2 v8s offered, the 5.0 302 v8 and the 5.8 351 v8. My dad owned and grandpa owns 1993s ext cab short-boxes with the 302. I've been driving my grandpa's as of late since I still don't have my jeep back together and I gotta say I like it. I haven't towed more than a 14' boat behind it but I imagine it would do fine with most medium sized trailers. I think it would struggle with a car-hauler behind it though. I would look for the 351 personally. It is a good reliable motor and should last you a long time.

The one I am looking at right now is a 04...i am pretty sure it has a 5.4 in it, I am going to check it out tomorrow.

What's this 5.6 that everyone is talking about? :D

I used to tow my car with my 5.9 ZJ, switched to a Dodge diesel 3500 and will never look back. 20 mpg on the highway vs. 16 (stock) with the ZJ is a bonus. I know this isn't a 1/2 ton vs. larger debate but I'd think about how much towing you are really going to be doing. Hooking up a car trailer once or twice a year to go just a few miles doesn't really justify going all out and the 5.0 or 5.8 F-150 would be fine. If you are going to be towing fairly often I'd consider going with a 3/4 ton or larger. You don't have to spend a ton to get a good HD truck either.

That may have just made my decision! I am going to be using the truck for more around town stuff like the store and such that I can't do on my sport bike. It will be driven to and from Salt Lake with nothin but my sport bike in the back unless I happen to bring it up to go wheelin. I don't see me towing my jeep anymore then 300-400 miles (all freeway with a few little climbs) at most honestly. With most of it not being more then 40 or so. If you guys think that that wouldn't be too big of a deal then neither do i. Obviously a f-250 or -350....durmax, cummins. Would be ideal for towing, but for an all around truck that I can throw my 4 wheeler in the back of and go....i think a 150 is good.....?

I thank all of you for your opinions, and feel free to post up more if you have had experiences or just wanna shed some light.

ATL ZJ
09-22-2009, 01:17 AM
Pats half ton titan will tow the heavy ass trailer and heavy jeep. Just because it CAN tow it and it's "slow up hills", does not mean it SHOULD tow it....

Trannys will hate you and fail prematurely if you tow with a rig not suitable to safely tow that much weight.

Hopefully the titan will be swapped out with an f-250 or better in the near future...

This "bigger is always better" anecdotal banter is a little short-sighted, IMO. If you think about it, that same mentality put Pat in the supposed towing predicament that you say he's in. He built and now has to tow the heaviest TJ known to man.

And the whole "should" question, comes down to the tow rating. That's what it's there for. Stay within the rating, run good fluids, and change them often. The line between 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton has been blurred for quite some time. My titan has bigger rotors and calipers than my HP60 from an F350 for crying out loud. And it has plenty of power and has really surprised me in the hills next to some of my friends turbo diesels.

Not everybody needs a dual rear wheel tow monster with 6" stacks and 25 ply tires to tow their rig to the trail.

CrawlerReady
09-22-2009, 01:23 AM
Not everybody needs a dual rear wheel tow monster with 6" stacks and 25 ply tires to tow their rig to the trail.

Only the "cool" people

grandmaster
09-22-2009, 01:24 AM
This "bigger is always better" anecdotal banter is a little short-sighted, IMO. If you think about it, that same mentality put Pat in the supposed towing predicament that you say he's in. He built and now has to tow the heaviest TJ known to man.

And the whole "should" question, comes down to the tow rating. That's what it's there for. Stay within the rating, run good fluids, and change them often. The line between 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton has been blurred for quite some time. My titan has bigger rotors and calipers than my HP60 from an F350 for crying out loud. And it has plenty of power and has really surprised me in the hills next to some of my friends turbo diesels.

I wish there was a "like" button on here like there is on facebook haha. That makes perfect sense!! And well put, I guess everyone will have there opinions though.

CrawlerReady
09-22-2009, 01:43 AM
There is a "like" button....it's called + Rep ;)

zj95maxx
09-22-2009, 08:59 AM
There is a "like" button....it's called + Rep ;)

:goodman:

markr
09-22-2009, 11:30 AM
Ford's have a 5.4 Triton engine and in the '06 and later they are a 3 valve engine, my brother has one with 220k miles with no issues. although the spark plugs are said to be a problem when you change them, his mechanic changed them with o issues. 3 summers pulling a 8500lb boat (it is rated at 9500lb i believe) the rest of the weekends in the country working around the 300 acre farm. averages about 17mpg compined
Also they have a 4.6 which is a standard 2 valve engine.

I agree with the post about 3/4 if your doing alot of pulling the brakes and a heavier chasis will make you feel much more comforable but the 1/2 will do it all day long.

ajmorell
09-22-2009, 11:43 AM
Ford's have a 5.6 Triton engine and in the '06 and later they are a 3 valve engine.

For the 3rd time, the displacement is not 5.6L, it is 331 cu in which is 5.4L.

That being said....the 5.4 is a decent motor and should do everything you said you'd need it for.

grandmaster
09-22-2009, 11:55 AM
Ford's have a 5.6 Triton engine and in the '06 and later they are a 3 valve engine, my brother has one with 220k miles with no issues. although the spark plugs are said to be a problem when you change them, his mechanic changed them with o issues. 3 summers pulling a 8500lb boat (it is rated at 9500lb i believe) the rest of the weekends in the country working around the 300 acre farm. averages about 17mpg compined
Also they have a 4.6 which is a standard 2 valve engine.

I agree with the post about 3/4 if your doing alot of pulling the brakes and a heavier chasis will make you feel much more comforable but the 1/2 will do it all day long.

Well thank's for your input. I am pretty sure I made my decision based on what you guy's have said. For what I am doing it obviously should be fine. 1/2 ton it is.

For the 3rd time, the displacement is not 5.6L, it is 331 cu in which is 5.4L.

That being said....the 5.4 is a decent motor and should do everything you said you'd need it for.

Ha ha ha thanks for clarification!! 5.4>5.6 hahah in this aspect ;)

96JGCL
09-22-2009, 01:14 PM
I ditched my Chev for a 2006 f150 STX. 4.6l auto.

best damn decision i ever made. It tows better, rides better. IMO its a far better truck.

The 4.6 is rated at 13mpg, but im getting anywhere between 16 and 18