PDA

View Full Version : Problem with mig welder

FortCollinsZJ
09-11-2009, 03:32 AM
For the past few days I have had an ongoing issue with my welder. I have not changed materials or wire, or gas, or technique.

It's sorta hard to explain what's going on but here goes,
The weld is poor quality, the end of the wire balls up and turns orange then falls off as a droplet and does not stick to the point I am trying to weld, it does this as a normal bead is being laid, then at random it will start to ball up and just weld generaly like shit. Its like there is an arc between the steel and the wire and the wire wont touch the steel, it just balls up and falls, this is especially clear when welding verticle or welding with the gun pointed upwards. It seems to not ball up as much when welding gun pointed down.

Anybody have any clues as to what may be the issue?

rstrucks
09-11-2009, 11:30 AM
Turn the voltage off and just run the wire at different speeds and see if the wire is coming out of the gun at normal rates. You may need to do some maintenance. Probably a liner.

ATL ZJ
09-11-2009, 11:48 AM
Change your tip and dunk your nozzle in some anti-spatter gel. If that doesn't work I would just replace the liner like Ryan said. It's a wear item anyway.

FortCollinsZJ
09-11-2009, 12:53 PM
I fixed it and I feel SO retarded.

I checked everything! I switched polarity on the gun, and thought maybe I had forgottn after using some flux core a while back... I replaced the tip, I cleaned the nozzle, I tested the wire speed, I cranked the nob for tension on the feeder, and lastly, I looked again at the feeder roller and the nob was screwed all the way down... hmm... I then pulled the trigger and held the wire with my glove and it stopped imediately. The wire size wheel was on the wrong size, it wouldn't push the wire out with enough power, so the weld basically stopped the wire, and would not penetrate.

I should look into replacing the liner, I have had this welder for almost one year, about how often does a liner need to get replaced?

ArloGuthroJeep
09-11-2009, 01:17 PM
Not every year;) Was the welder new to you?

FortCollinsZJ
09-11-2009, 03:02 PM
Yes, brand new in the box. I didn't think the liner would need replaced this soon, It doesn't catch ever and feeds smoothly.

chadjans
09-19-2009, 11:40 PM
Change your tip and dunk your nozzle in some anti-spatter gel. If that doesn't work I would just replace the liner like Ryan said. It's a wear item anyway.

Anti spatter gel fucks your weld up. It turns liquid when heated. Use very sparingly to not at all.

ATL ZJ
09-20-2009, 12:53 AM
Anti spatter gel fucks your weld up. It turns liquid when heated. Use very sparingly to not at all.

Yeah no kidding. Never dunk a cold nozzle, get it hot, then dunk and shake off the excess. Just enough of a coating to keep spatter from collecting on the inside of the nozzle.

zjeepin
09-22-2009, 10:17 AM
you have to be very careful with the lead to keep the liner healthy for a long time. try to keep from dropping anything on the lead as that can damage your liner and cause wire feed issues, also pay attention to "twisting the lead" kind a like an extension cord, just make sure your aren't causing it to bind up.

Im the worlds worst for leaving a lead laying on the shop floor and rolling a floor jack over it or allowing something to be dropped on it..

quadratokn
09-29-2009, 02:15 PM
So the polarity was reversed? Thats funny.

ArloGuthroJeep
09-29-2009, 02:47 PM
No, his wire feed wheel was the wrong one...he must have changed sizes of wire and not the wheel.

FortCollinsZJ
09-30-2009, 12:10 AM
Correct! It was just barely pushing the wire out, any pressure on the end of the wire and it would stop feeding out, it was sucky.