PDA

View Full Version : GMC 2500 rear brake line question

slim616
08-11-2009, 02:04 PM
i have an 02 gmc 2500 that the rear brake line rusted through. its the line that runs from the ABS box on the frame to the back rubber line. I took off the rusted line and took it down to napa to get some new lines. They told me it was 1/4 line but the fitting that comes out of the ABS box they could not match up and i would have to reuse the old one. I figured no big deal because I have a snap on flaring kit that works real well. Well the first time I flared it the thing had a slight leak to it. I figured maybe i just flared it wrong and after tearing it back out and looking at it i saw a small imperfection that could of been a prob. So i cut it it off and flared it again. This time i made sure it was perfect. I even had some one else look at it and they couldn't tell the difference between the one I did and the factory made one on the other side of the line. Anyway i bolted the thing back up and the bitch still leaks.

So here's the question, does the line that comes out of the ABS box on the GMC take a special kind of flare since it takes a special fitting that Napa seems not to carry?

Or could I have messed up the fitting in some way when I broke it free from the ABS block because it seams to be leaking from the center were the tube comes through the fitting. Though I thought the fitting was just used to keep the brake flare snug up against the hole. Thus making me think that since my fitting is snug that some how the flare is slightly off. As a side note there is no visible blimishes on the fitting that would send up a flag as a possible leak.

rstrucks
08-11-2009, 02:37 PM
I'm not sure what GM uses for its ABS flares that would be different? Metric line? It's not a 37 degree flare instead of the standard 45 degree flare is it? 37* is what is used on AN fittings and may be what GM is using.

If the factory section of tube that comes out of ABS salvagable? If so you could just tie in to that and re-use the factory flared end and replace the rusted section from there back to the flex line.

Damn those salt trucks!