PDA

View Full Version : Grand Slam SE... WINTER

ATL ZJ
08-07-2009, 04:42 PM
This idea came up during GSSE at harlan... "why don't we do this more than once a year?"

the plan is to set up a winter version of grand slam at Windrock (a.k.a. Coal Creek OHV) in Oliver Springs TN, just outside of knoxville. For those that haven't been, it's a great place with over 72,000 acres of land and a ton of trails, ranging from super easy to extreme.

We need to know who's interested so we can go ahead and put this event together if people want it. since it's at such a cold time of the year, we're talking about all going in on a large cabin that will sleep 20-30 people. what we need to know is whether you would want to come, and also if you would want to pay to sleep in a heated cabin with showers, couches, tv, kitchen, etc.

so cast your vote in the poll above and post up if you have any other questions.

Pearce
08-07-2009, 07:08 PM
vote for the cabin bitches :finga:

zjeepin
08-07-2009, 10:37 PM
hell we only got 7 people interested? come on you all can wear your panties under your coveralls and come and go wheelin

MUDDTRACKS
08-07-2009, 11:48 PM
I'm down If Shane is cool with going seeing I dont have a tow rig yet.:punish:

slim616
08-08-2009, 08:21 AM
This would be one of those trips I would have to play by ear.

FearTheDentist
08-08-2009, 08:47 AM
I'd like to go, but given my recent move, new job, etc I can't commit 100%. I'd definitely like to get out with some of the east coast MC'ers though!

SirFuego
08-08-2009, 10:38 AM
This would be one of those trips I would have to play by ear.

Uh huh. Weather would be a BIG factor as to whether I could make it or not. I don't want to fight my way through snow through NY, PA, and OH.

zj95maxx
08-08-2009, 11:15 AM
stop wheeling further away from VA!

jdconti9484
08-08-2009, 02:05 PM
I'd go and defintely would be nice to be sleeping in a cabin.:smt023

rradford9
08-08-2009, 10:42 PM
I just got back from wheeling at Callalantee today. There seemed to be a lot more variety of trails than there are at Coal Creek. In my 2 trips, it seems Coal Creek is either very difficult or easy (gravel). What do you guys think about going there?

S-10 Seanzy
08-08-2009, 11:16 PM
I voted for the cabin, but I really don't care. Sleeping in a tent doesn't bother me if there are power hookups in the campground. I wouldn't be up for the cabin if it cost much more than the aforementioned price though. It already costs $20 a day to wheel there(and passengers have to pay as well).

ATL ZJ
08-09-2009, 03:27 PM
I just got back from wheeling at Callalantee today. There seemed to be a lot more variety of trails than there are at Coal Creek. In my 2 trips, it seems Coal Creek is either very difficult or easy (gravel). What do you guys think about going there?

Given the timing of this ride, Windrock was chosen for its accessibility in the event of snow. Some of the moderate trails at windrock can be tough to find, but they're there. Hopefully windrock can attract more stock and moderately built grands, as well as the extreme rigs, and will prove a good fit for everybody.

northgazj
08-09-2009, 04:41 PM
What month were you planning this Cam?

ATL ZJ
08-09-2009, 04:52 PM
What month were you planning this Cam?

Feb. 20-21

rradford9
08-09-2009, 10:22 PM
Given the timing of this ride, Windrock was chosen for its accessibility in the event of snow. Some of the moderate trails at windrock can be tough to find, but they're there. Hopefully windrock can attract more stock and moderately built grands, as well as the extreme rigs, and will prove a good fit for everybody.

Probably a good call on the snow. I'm down either way. The current score is Windrock-2, Me-0, so I need some redemption...

OverkillZJ
08-10-2009, 10:12 AM
I love wheeling in snow, it can be a dirt road, but still crazy hard and kick your ass.

Sporer65
08-10-2009, 11:52 AM
I didn't really see an option for me but I would come out, just not stay at the cabin since I live 45 minutes away.

SirFuego
08-10-2009, 12:11 PM
I love wheeling in snow, it can be a dirt road, but still crazy hard and kick your ass.
Me too. It's like a cold version of mud, but without the cleanup afterwards. The cleanup afterwards is really the only reason I hate mud. I'll take someone else's rig through the mud in a second if I don't need to clean it :finga:

spykosshow
08-10-2009, 12:29 PM
Feb. 20-21

If it's not till feb, I should be able to actually make it. I'm hoping to get the 8.8 and long arms in over winter break, and most likely rebuild the tranny as well.

ATL ZJ
08-10-2009, 12:32 PM
I voted for the cabin, but I really don't care. Sleeping in a tent doesn't bother me if there are power hookups in the campground.

The $16/night sites at windrock park campground don't have power. An RV site is $38/night for two people, and additional people over 15 are $3 extra, each. Adult beverages are also prohibited there.

The other campground's rates are very similar, but it is a 5 minute drive to the trails from there. They do allow alcohol, but enforce "quiet hours" 24/7. Meaning if you break your rig and need to fix something in camp, you better be creative enough to fix it in silence. :confused:

so that is why we were looking at the cabin, in addition to the whole warmth thing.

zjeepin
08-10-2009, 05:42 PM
The $16/night sites at windrock park campground don't have power. An RV site is $38/night for two people, and additional people over 15 are $3 extra, each. Adult beverages are also prohibited there.

The other campground's rates are very similar, but it is a 5 minute drive to the trails from there. They do allow alcohol, but enforce "quiet hours" 24/7. Meaning if you break your rig and need to fix something in camp, you better be creative enough to fix it in silence. :confused:

so that is why we were looking at the cabin, in addition to the whole warmth thing.

eff the campgrounds... that shit sucks, sounds like we should get the cabin any time we go there..

zjeepin
08-10-2009, 05:44 PM
I didn't really see an option for me but I would come out, just not stay at the cabin since I live 45 minutes away.

if you don't mind go ahead and vote for the "i'd show up and sleep in my tent" option.. that way we can count you as interested in the ride but not the cabin

Sporer65
08-10-2009, 07:16 PM
if you don't mind go ahead and vote for the "i'd show up and sleep in my tent" option.. that way we can count you as interested in the ride but not the cabin

Voted.

SirFuego
08-10-2009, 07:21 PM
Cam, what is the $60 based on? Do you actually pay per person? Or is there a total cost for the cabin you split between the people there?

ATL ZJ
08-10-2009, 07:41 PM
Cam, what is the $60 based on? Do you actually pay per person? Or is there a total cost for the cabin you split between the people there?

Here is the place we are looking at: www.windrocklodge.com (http://www.windrocklodge.com)

The cabin is divided into two parts. You can rent part one or both. The downstairs is 150/night and sleeps up to 8 people, and the upstairs is 275/night and sleeps up to 13. So the decision to rent one part or both, as well as the final cost per person, will depend on the number of people attending.

We figured that 60 was a decent ballpark figure to test the waters. The final per-person cost would probably end up being close to that with tax added in... TN has a 9.75% local sales tax and a 5% hotel tax.

SirFuego
08-10-2009, 07:50 PM
Gotcha. If I go, I would definitely be interested in a cabin, but like I said -- it's going to be a last minute decision for me based on the weather, so I'm not voting in the poll since the weather rarely cooperates at that time of the year.

ATL ZJ
08-10-2009, 08:03 PM
Gotcha. If I go, I would definitely be interested in a cabin, but like I said -- it's going to be a last minute decision for me based on the weather, so I'm not voting in the poll since the weather rarely cooperates at that time of the year.

That makes sense. If it works out to go ahead with the cabin, we may try to book fairly early to ensure we get it and then start taking people's registrations. But if we do that, depending on demand, there might not be space left over at the last minute... We'd love to have you and anyone else who can't plan way into the future come and wheel though. So if anyone has any ideas on how to manage that, it would be great to hear some ideas.

SirFuego
08-10-2009, 08:07 PM
I completely understand. I would have no issues bringing an air mattress and sleeping on that -- further bringing down the price for everyone else. But if they are sticklers about the number of people that sleep there (or if it's already too crowded), there seems to be a couple hotels within about 15 minutes of the park that could always be used as a last resort.

rstrucks
08-10-2009, 08:19 PM
Assuming that a dude doesn't want to share a sleeping area (bed/couch) with another dude (I know I don't) there would only be 13 spots (beds/couches).

I don't know what that does for the price per person #.

ATL ZJ
08-11-2009, 11:35 AM
Assuming that a dude doesn't want to share a sleeping area (bed/couch) with another dude (I know I don't) there would only be 13 spots (beds/couches).

I think fuego was talking about just crashing on the floor on a sleeping pad or inflatable mattress. Indoor camping ;) rather than being sausage burritos.

I like the floor option for late registrants if all the beds are taken.

SirFuego
08-11-2009, 11:54 AM
I think fuego was talking about just crashing on the floor on a sleeping pad or inflatable mattress.
Yep. I would assume there would be enough room on the floor somewhere. I have no desire whatsoever to be part of a sausage burrito.

rstrucks
08-11-2009, 02:30 PM
Here is the place we are looking at: www.windrocklodge.com (http://www.windrocklodge.com)

The cabin is divided into two parts. You can rent part one or both. The downstairs is 150/night and sleeps up to 8 people, and the upstairs is 275/night and sleeps up to 13. So the decision to rent one part or both, as well as the final cost per person, will depend on the number of people attending.

We figured that 60 was a decent ballpark figure to test the waters. The final per-person cost would probably end up being close to that with tax added in... TN has a 9.75% local sales tax and a 5% hotel tax.

This ^ is what I was refering to. It's the "sleeps up to" # that I am talking about. It might sleep 21 total but about 8 of those would be the other half of a bed. All I'm saying is there might be an over-estimation of available beds/couches.

I think fuego was talking about just crashing on the floor on a sleeping pad or inflatable mattress. Indoor camping ;) rather than being sausage burritos.

I like the floor option for late registrants if all the beds are taken.

I DID NOT mean to imply anything :D

I don't care how many crash on the floor. Like Fuego said - it'll bring the price down.

Yep. I would assume there would be enough room on the floor somewhere. I have no desire whatsoever to be part of a sausage burrito.

Sorry SF! :smt109 (not that there's anything wrong with that :))

SirFuego
08-11-2009, 02:38 PM
Oh yeah I see what you mean now.

Unit 1 has 2 double beds, 2 twin beds, 1 double sleeper sofa (room for 5 + 3 so's).
Unit 2 has 1 queen bed, 3 double beds, 3 twin beds, 1 double sleeper sofa (room for 8 + 5 so's).

SirFuego
08-11-2009, 03:06 PM
A couple more questions:
Would this involve any Friday wheeling?
Would people be staying Sunday and heading back on Monday?

ATL ZJ
08-11-2009, 04:06 PM
A couple more questions:
Would this involve any Friday wheeling?
Would people be staying Sunday and heading back on Monday?

Maybe friday wheeling... depending on overall interest and maybe also when KOH is, if anyone is planning on watching it. It's supposed to be earlier in Feb this year though so there shouldn't be a conflict with the 20-21.

whatever the case, we'll at least be wheeling for 2 days. Most of us live close enough to windrock to wheel sunday and then drive home that night. Anyone who doesn't may want to grab a hotel room on their own if they need to crash somewhere sunday night.