PDA

View Full Version : Feedback/ improvements?

ATL ZJ
08-05-2009, 05:07 PM
Thanks to all of you for driving so far to come wheel. We had a great showing (both grands and non-grands) compared to the last couple of years. Hope you all had a great time.

Since it's so expensive to take time off work, drive for hours, AND build a rig to be worth bringing, we want to make sure this event is worth it.

How could the event have been better? Should we change anything or keep it exactly the same? I've already taken some heat for the false advertising on the parking lot campground, HA, but if you have suggestions now is the time and this is the place.

Pearce
08-05-2009, 09:00 PM
I've already taken some heat for the false advertising on the parking lot campground, HA, but if you have suggestions now is the time and this is the place.

Provide astro turf!

I think this event went great. And was in the spirit of what Tim and I thought it should be when we started it. At the begining we had a little bit of a tough time getting the large group of all of us broken up but that was the only time and it worked itself out just fine. If anything we might plan two different trail lists for the larger groups then alternate what days each does them. And the good thing about Harlan is how easy it is to get from trail to trail if changes need to be made. It's not like at Tellico when once you start School Bus you are pretty much commited to running it all the way through with everyone else who is on it. But honestly I think things went pretty smooth.
Maybe next year I'll bring back the tradition of peach cobbler! :D

bnboffroad
08-05-2009, 09:40 PM
less rain , no more aluminum transfer cases lol :flipoff2:

rstrucks
08-05-2009, 10:01 PM
I don't know how much better it could have gone.

I may be to blame for everyone leaving in one big group :o. Hopefully all will be forgiven when you guys see your rigs on the show. Other than that I could go for more of the same next year.

slim616
08-05-2009, 10:22 PM
To be honest if nothing changed I would still come next year. But if could move were we camp, say over to the cabin side were we could spreadout and then set up a central location were we could set up a large tarp and fire for everyone to gather around and B.S. It just seemed like we were really cramped together in that parking lot. Hell you know your close together when you fart in your tent and half the "camp ground" can hear it.

Also If we could figure out a little better way to organize the groups. It seemed like no one really cared about anyone outside of the group that they came with. I know when we have new people come to our events that don't know the area we make sure that their taken care of before we roll out. This was how we ended up with a few extra people in our group because no one wanted them in there group. Then the only way we found our way around was by a stopping and asking people on four wheelers were the hell everything was. I guess this could be solved by everyone meeting in the morning and figuring out groups and what trails to hit before we get on the trail.

Again, over all the event was a great time and i wouldn't hesitate in making the 11 hour trip again next year.

ATL ZJ
08-06-2009, 12:13 AM
Also If we could figure out a little better way to organize the groups. It seemed like no one really cared about anyone outside of the group that they came with. I know when we have new people come to our events that don't know the area we make sure that their taken care of before we roll out. This was how we ended up with a few extra people in our group because no one wanted them in there group. Then the only way we found our way around was by a stopping and asking people on four wheelers were the hell everything was. I guess this could be solved by everyone meeting in the morning and figuring out groups and what trails to hit before we get on the trail.

Thanks for saying that and honestly that is what I expected to hear. Personally I would love to wheel with every group and show them around if they don't know where they are going, but the conflict is that as experienced wheelers, we all know how important it is to keep group size small to keep things moving. So it isn't that practical to wheel with 20 rigs in one group, and I haven't figured out how to clone myself yet. And it is really tough to get volunteers who know the trails well to offer to wheel with new folks vs. old friends. Plus the nature of the event is pretty flexible, so I don't think we want to get into daily trail signups and all that formality. Am I right there?

One suggestion I heard was to have a sign-in table where people could come and check in and from there we might be able to group people up a little better. That way we would at least have a plan of what the groups would look like and have a "first trail" for each of them to run separately, rather than putting it all on the participants to do most of the grouping and navigating. Would something like that maybe work better, or is there an even better way?

MUDDTRACKS
08-06-2009, 01:16 AM
Need something along the lines of a 3 group rule

1 I dont give a shit

2 few dents is ok

3 I came for the bird watching

Then depending on the size and break it up from there.

But still hard to ride with others when u come to ride with friends and keep groups small.

As for the camping didn't bother me any. I like having food close by. Plus the veiw is real entertaining. Damn bridge sluts.(did i see that one fat chick come back to s-10seanzy's tent)

slim616
08-06-2009, 07:28 AM
Need something along the lines of a 3 group rule

1 I dont give a shit

2 few dents is ok

But still hard to ride with others when u come to ride with friends and keep groups small.

As for the camping didn't bother me any. I like having food close by. Plus the veiw is real entertaining. Damn bridge sluts.(did i see that one fat chick come back to s-10seanzy's tent)

Thats how we kind of do it at big dogs and RC. Nothing really formal, just a quick who wants to do what kind of thing. Then for the "i need to drive this thing home group" we just have someone volunteer to help out for a day then swap out with someone the next day. normally we get a larger medium to hard trail group together that usually splits up according to who wants to ride with who.

rstrucks
08-06-2009, 09:58 AM
1 I dont give a shit

2 few dents is ok

That sounds pretty close to how it ended up breaking down. Not sure about bird watching though :D. Maybe grouping up before hand (online) or at a sign-in table would make things run a little bit smoother. Picking or designating trail leaders might help too. That way at least people who don't really know anybody can tag along with a group that fits their rig.

I think by day two people had more or less figured out who/what group to run with. Anything that can be done to get passed the "first day" kind of stuff would be helpful.

zjeepin
08-06-2009, 10:17 AM
I have never been to the other campround so I don't know if it would be a better fit for the group or not.

Assuming we do not change campgrounds I suggest that we reserve one campsite for the "group pavilion" we used to have a cookout that was funded by the registration fee on saturday night which we haven't done since we've had gsse in harlan because food is so closeby. If we go back to having a registration fee we could reserve an extra campsite that woud provide room for the BS forum and a place for a cookout (if thats something we are interested in). It would also allow people not participating in late night activity to distance themselves and rest.

I think this would allow for more group interaction and facilitate wheeling group organization. If the group/turnout grows next year the way it did this year we are going to need more organization.

Having a sign in would allow folks to group up by difficulty levels and make sure that each group has someone who knows their way around. Those of us who know the terrain will need to buck up and at least give one day to leading a group..

my two cents...

S-10 Seanzy
08-06-2009, 03:58 PM

Damn if I didn't get busted! I thought for sure that everyone was asleep by then.

And I do have one suggestion...Don't let the prick in the ugly red Mad Max buggy in the park. He was quite miffed at the fact that I was broken down blocking the trail. He has been an asshole every time that we have run into him at Harlan.

zjeepin
08-06-2009, 04:37 PM
Damn if I didn't get busted! I thought for sure that everyone was asleep by then.

And I do have one suggestion...Don't let the prick in the ugly red Mad Max buggy in the park. He was quite miffed at the fact that I was broken down blocking the trail. He has been an asshole every time that we have run into him at Harlan.

dammit seanzy can't you see that one way sign that someone stole?

yeah, eff that guy, his buggy was butt ass ugly too...

CrawlerReady
08-06-2009, 05:04 PM
I'd like to contribute to this thread as I have a suggestion.

Maybe next year you guys should have it where the best wheelin' on earth is located, in Moab, UT :D

Jeeperoni91
08-06-2009, 07:45 PM
I'd like to contribute to this thread as I have a suggestion.

Maybe next year you guys should have it where the best wheelin' on earth is located, in Moab, UT :D

our wheeling is more fun, less hot, and more fun :flipoff2:

CrawlerReady
08-06-2009, 09:48 PM
our wheeling is more fun, less hot, and more fun :flipoff2:

minus the more fun part and I completely agree!

bnboffroad
08-07-2009, 12:04 AM

fat fucking jailbait hoes:eek: i think they were trying to get someone put in jail

zukinut
08-09-2009, 12:49 AM
I agree with all the above. The reason the bristol, nc, atl group wheels together is that we know each others rigs, we know each others wheeling style and we know each others capabilities. We also know that no matter what happens, we aint leavin anybody behind no matter what the situation. I think that goes for everybodys "usual" wheelin group.

I agree on buckin up and leadin a group. Not sayin that i particulary want to be "responsible" for everybody havin a good time but i wouldnt mind doin it one bit.

Friday was a bit of a cluster fawk. Everybody wanted to wheel and nobody wanted to make any decisions. I do not think anybody was to blame tho. We had all driven quite a few miles and just wanted to wheel. With that said i think that there should be a drivers meeting style thing for signups, early am of each day of wheelin. I truely believe that would work great.

Just my .02 worth

StinkoMan20X6_
08-18-2009, 04:20 PM
I think it went well anyway regardless of the grouping. Big groups don't really bother me. I mean if the land rovers can run 1000+ rigs in a group I don't see why some crappy jeeps can't do the same. After breakages the groups shrink anyway. In the previous years groups were divided by difficulty like has already been said and that seemed to work well as long as there are enough leaders and people to make a good sized group. I remember one year tim was leading the easy/moderate group with his tube zj which would have driven me nuts if I were him. My main goal this year was to get my local guys out there to witness the craziness that GSSE has evolved into and to get the new guys to see harlan. We are used to taking care of our own crap anyway. It's more exciting for me to see trails i've never seen before and get totally in over my head sometimes so I don't really mind getting lost and crap. I'm never too impressed with the camp ground but it's convenient, I've grown to like it, and according to the yankees the other camp ground was under water so... what ever. Also that giant tarp was like $60. SO everybody needs to get one.