PDA

View Full Version : cutting down a trailer axle

BigDaveZJ
07-28-2009, 06:15 PM
I've got 3500lb trailer axle on the way for my M416. Its going to be a bit wider than I originally wanted, but didn't have time to wait for them to make me a narrower one. Im going to run it as is to start, but if its absolutely too wide, it shouldn't be that hard to cut it down right? I figure option 1 would be cut the flange off one side and then cut the tube down and reweld the flange. Option 2 would be to hack it right in the middle, cut the desired part out and slug/sleeve it back together. Id probably add some angle to the outside as a truss as well. I may do the angle iron thing anyways due to the distance between the flange and the spring pads.

sevenslats
07-28-2009, 09:10 PM
The last offroad trailer I built had too wide of an axle also. I was in a time crunch, and couldn't wait for a custom-width job.

My trailer frame was 4' wide and the axle had perches welded on at 5'. I left the OEM ones on and added my own at 4'. After 2 loads of topsoil my axle was bending at the outer ends.. I ended up making my trailer wider rather than narrowing my axle.
Mine was c-channel and plywood, not pristine US Army history.

ATL ZJ
07-28-2009, 09:55 PM
I wouldn't do it dave.

My car hauler is basically a heap of someone's aborted afterthoughts, and it uses "custom width homebrew axles" like you are talking about. I'm sure you know that most trailer axles have a built in bow to them. Apparently when mine were cut in the center, sleeved, and rewelded, the proper arch was lost. Now the tires are cambered out and toed at weird angles, and two of them get chewed up maybe every 5000-7500 miles of hauling.

So if you do attempt to modify the axle, I would build a jig to prevent warpage, or pay the best machine shop in your area do the labor. But I'm sure a trailer axle manufacturer such as dexter axle could provide you with something that fits and that would make you much happier in the long run.

BigDaveZJ
07-28-2009, 10:06 PM
Actually this one will be straight. It's a 3500lb axle, but will never see more than 1000-1500lbs. My plan was to slug it as far out to the wheel flanges as possible if I did it.