PDA

View Full Version : Superchip engine tuner

Z
07-24-2009, 02:25 PM
Superchip finally came out with tunes for the 4.7L Gen II. I installed the 87 octane tune a couple days ago and I'm pretty happy with the results. Stock, you have to wind the Gen II up pretty high before you get any power - so standing starts are kinda lethargic. With the 87 tune it feels like I have power from the first press of the pedal. Also, when stock, there was a little throttle lag - not horrible (like the '05 CRD I drove at a GSW) but still noticeable. Throttle lag seems to be gone now.

Another nice thing about the tune, which I really didn't expect, was better downshifting behavior with the Autostick. I downshift on some hills rather than using the brake (I love the Autostick!) - prior to the tune I'd frequently have to press the brake to slow down enough to then have the gearing take over. With the new tune, the downshifting seems more proactive - I feel a more positive deceleration.

According to the EVIC (yeah, I know it's probably not a truly accurate measure) I think mileage is improved about 1 mpg.

All in all I'm pretty happy with it - I really was quite skeptical - if Superchips can make my Gen II perform this nice, why couldn't Jeep do it from the factory?

(The Superchip tuner is available for most 98 and newer Jeep engines.)

JohnBoulderCO
07-24-2009, 02:59 PM
That's great news. Might have to chip my V8 to keep up with those I-6's. ;)

I thought the same thing when I chipped my A4 2.0T, wondering why the factory just didn't do this. I'm sure MPG, emissions, shift points, etc. dictact the factory tune.

mlozano
09-06-2010, 12:10 AM
Anyone have tried it on a WJ 4.7HO?, comments?

Thanks

Mariano