PDA

View Full Version : Trailer tire dilemma

ATL ZJ
07-23-2009, 12:20 AM
After a couple of trailer tire blowouts on the last couple wheeling trips, I've been forced to replace a lot of trailer tires recently.

The best price I can find for a trailer tire with wheel (205/75-15) is $99.
The best price I can find for tire only is $78, plus mounting and BS fees= $100.

It's amazing that it costs the same amount (actually $1 less) to buy the tire and wheel premounted. Plus it takes less time and I prefer LoadStar (premounted @ Northern) over Carlisle (tire shop's only stock tire). But what am I going to do with all these old trailer wheels :confused:

Anybody else have a similar experience with this?

northgazj
07-23-2009, 09:54 AM
But what am I going to do with all these old trailer wheels :confused:

You could weld them all together and make a more permanent bender mount, or you could sell them to the metal recycler and get some of your money back. There might even be a trailer shop that would buy them from you.

ATL ZJ
07-23-2009, 10:19 AM
You could weld them all together and make a more permanent bender mount, or you could sell them to the metal recycler and get some of your money back. There might even be a trailer shop that would buy them from you.

:rofl: at the bender mount.

I guess I could trick out a lawnmower with them too.

...just wanted to make sure I'm not crazy or blind to any deals on trailer tires that might be out there.

rstrucks
07-23-2009, 10:26 AM
Have you had trouble with Carlisle tires? That is what is on my trailer (and has been for a while) and I haven't had any issues. Are you having trouble on gravel or paved roads?

ATL ZJ
07-23-2009, 10:37 AM
Have you had trouble with Carlisle tires? That is what is on my trailer (and has been for a while) and I haven't had any issues. Are you having trouble on gravel or paved roads?

Hot pavement. I haven't tried Carlisles yet, just have heard of their less than impressive track record from others. There are a number of excellent trailer tire tech threads on P[arrot?]4x4 and the consensus has been to avoid carlisles.

Ideally I should put a bigger tire on my trailer, step up to a higher load range, and run fewer RPMs. But for now the 205s will stay.. I bought another $99 tire and wheel at Northern yesterday and I'm still amazed that I got a "free" wheel just because the chinese labor on the mounting was so cheap.

goodolboy71
07-23-2009, 10:53 AM
I have not liked the Landstar or whatever they are called tires at Northern Tools i had on my trailers...

I dont know offhand but i get my 205's for $80 mounted on a new wheel from a local trailer supply here in town now, and they seem to hold up better than the others i have had.

CrawlerReady
07-23-2009, 11:37 AM
You probably oughta get a 8 or 10 ply trailer tire.....that's what I'm running after 2 blowouts on my trailer and haven't had any issues anymore. Of course my ZJ probably weighs a bit more than your zuggy....just my $.02 though

edit: also why do you prefer Loadstar over Carlisle? Carlisle is supposed to be a good name when it comes to trailer tires. Greenball is supposed to be a good name as well.

ATL ZJ
07-23-2009, 11:53 AM
You probably oughta get a 8 or 10 ply trailer tire.. If you can point me to a source for those, I'd be happy to buy some. But so far all I've found, local and online, in a 205/75-15 size is 6 ply.

edit: also why do you prefer Loadstar over Carlisle? Carlisle is supposed to be a good name when it comes to trailer tires. Because of a million posts like this (http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showpost.php?p=9729948&postcount=22). That's just one account- there are hundreds of people sharing horror stories and pics. I take everybody's advice with a grain of salt, but when individuals within a huge sample group continue to give the same reviews over and over, you start to suspect that the claims might be valid.

CrawlerReady
07-23-2009, 12:08 PM
If you can point me to a source for those, I'd be happy to buy some. But so far all I've found, local and online, in a 205/75-15 size is 6 ply.

I'll have to check with my friend, he works at a tire store and hooked me up with them.

edit: I wanna say they are Westlake brand....not for sure though.

Because of a million posts like this (http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showpost.php?p=9729948&postcount=22). That's just one account- there are hundreds of people sharing horror stories and pics. I take everybody's advice with a grain of salt, but when individuals within a huge sample group continue to give the same reviews over and over, you start to suspect that the claims might be valid.

Well then that's a good reason ;). I haven't had any experience with Carlisle either, just heard a few good things about them, however it was all from the same person.

CrawlerReady
07-23-2009, 12:18 PM
Yep these look like mine.
http://phoenix.backpage.com/AutoPartsForSale/heavy_duty_trailer_tires_205_75_15/classifieds/ViewAd?oid=5009353

Cody
07-23-2009, 12:39 PM
FWIW, the guys that I used to wheel with who were sponsored by Maxxis used to have lots of trailer blowouts before they switched to a Maxxis trailer tires. They were all very fond of them

ATL ZJ
07-23-2009, 12:46 PM
FWIW, the guys that I used to wheel with who were sponsored by Maxxis used to have lots of trailer blowouts before they switched to a Maxxis trailer tires. They were all very fond of them

Yeah in my research I found a bunch of very positive reviews on maxxis trailer tires. A while back, they even offered a killer deal on a set of 5 for pbb members, but that has since ended. Other than dropping by their corporate office (it's 12 minutes away from here), I wonder if there is another way to swing a deal with them.