PDA

View Full Version : Undercoatings and paints

faststang1
07-12-2009, 07:48 PM
I getting ready to install front frame plates on my ZJ and was wondering what do u guys think of Dupli-Color undercoating??
When I did the LA kit I bought Rustoleums textured paint,it looks good but tends to chip alot!!
So Im thinking of getting Dupli-Color undercoating and redoing the frame rails!!!

adgroza
07-14-2009, 09:26 PM
if thats all you can get ahold of, use it. i like 3M the most, but is really rough on the wallet. i get mine from the local paint supplier. i get either finish pro zip cure, or SEM. it depends what im puting it on. the nicer stuff i put 3M or SEM. for my rigs i use the cheaper finish pro or transtar. those may even be cheaper than duplicolor, and may be more chip resistant. just make sure the surfances are clean, and its best to scuff the base material. good luck!

MoonWorks
07-14-2009, 10:14 PM
I agree with adgroza that I like the 3M undercoating than the duplicolor.

downtowncb
07-15-2009, 01:18 AM
Ditto on the 3M

Colorado 5.9
07-15-2009, 06:01 AM
Since your in Ca. then yea 3m is fine. If you were in the salt belt I'd say to por15 everything.:)

faststang1
07-15-2009, 05:59 PM
ok well Ill have to hunt down some 3M...Also just wondering would it be a good idea to sprey some primer then put the undercoating??

adgroza
07-21-2009, 08:52 PM
primer is always better. most people don't though. as long as its scuffed you should be ok. check any painters supply store for the undercoating. they should also have good primer. make sure to get direct to metal primer if is down to the metal.

i also like the por 15 idea. didn't even think of that 4 undercoating.