PDA

View Full Version : Coil / CA paint suggestions

dp96zj
06-26-2009, 08:05 PM
I'm planning on buying a semi-complete lift kit from a dude up north, and from the pics he's sent me, the coils and arms have a tad bit of surface rust, nothing deep. The plan is to clean them up and repaint them to prevent rust in the future, so what kind of paint should I use? I remember people powdercoating them, but that's not really an option for me, 'cause I don't know where I could get it done. I know the paint on the arms doesn't experience the same expansion/contraction as the coils do, but they get hit on the terrain, so I'm not sure.

Any suggestions or examples gladly welcomed!

Technohead
06-26-2009, 08:41 PM
Rustoleum.

The trick to making it stick is preparation. Grind as much rust off as possible (or have them sand blasted), clean with thinner such as xylene, prime, and then paint.

Powercoating is a joke; at least here up North. It takes about a year before it is chipping off and rusting. Its much more cost-efficient to just spraypaint and then touch up scrapes as they occur.

OverkillZJ
06-26-2009, 09:30 PM
Also, since the parts flex, several THIN coats, not thick ones.

Bort62
06-27-2009, 09:36 AM
Also, since the parts flex, several THIN coats, not thick ones.

This is just a good idea regardless. Thin coats won't be as liable to run on ya.

let each coat dry for maybe 5 minutes before putting on the next. the first should still be tacky.

The first coat you lay down should be so thin that it really just looks like overspray on the part.

If you want it to look tits, take your time - less is more.

You can do a REALLY nice job w/ a can of spraypaint if you have the patience.