PDA

View Full Version : Lincoln 180T vs. HH 187

rradford9
06-24-2009, 11:03 AM
Which of these two machines would you guys prefer? They're both very lightly used and on CL for $450. I'm leaning towards the HH187 based on some reading on other jeep forums. The HH187 has 7 power taps vs. the 180T's 5. One thing I had trouble finding was the duty cycle of the Lincoln. The HH is rated at 30% for 130A.

Most of my welding will be with flux core (until I get an enclosed garage at my next house) and I'll be welding the usual 1/8" to 3/8" steel.

ATL ZJ
06-24-2009, 03:33 PM
I like my very well used Hobart 180. And from what I've heard, it's extremely similar to the 187. My Hobart180 is on it's 5th liner, second gun assembly, and second ground clamp and has had miles and miles of wire run through it and it's still kicking. It's seen some abusive circumstances and demanding projects (often welding pretty consistently for several hours) and has never hit duty cycle.

If the Lincoln you're looking at has infinite voltage control, and the 187 doesn't, that would be enough for the Lincoln to take the win in my book. The thing that bothers me most about my Hobart is the fact that I can't fine tune the heat.

What are power "taps"?

paulkeith
06-24-2009, 03:51 PM
Cam,
I think people usually refer to 'taps' as the number of power settings available. This makes me think that the lincoln 180T does not have infinite voltage control.

I have been pretty impressed with the performance of Cam's Hobart. I have a SP175T and I've been happy with it as long as I keep it maintained. Liners, gun assys, etc as Cam mentioned.

Off the hip I'd say you dont really need to be all that concerned with duty cycle, I can't recall ever hitting mine and I've welded pretty heavily for extended periods of time on the max setting on my Lincoln.

Ultimately I dont think you can go wrong with either. I'd pick the one that had more metal parts than plastic parts in the drive assembly, or save for a "real" 220v welder.

My 0.02
Paul