PDA

View Full Version : Moab Tires, Boggers or IROKS

cLAYH
06-17-2009, 08:07 PM
Right now I'm running a new set of 37" radial IROKS. My last set of tires were 36" bias IROKS. I find for the terrain around here IROKS work VERY well, especially in the winter.

My issue is that last time I went to Moab I burned off about 1/3 of the tread on my bias IROKS in the 10days I was there. Iroks don't have a very deep tread to begin with and are pretty soft.

So I been contemplating picking up another set of tires to be my "MOAB tires". Used Boggers can be picked up pretty cheap and seem to work well in Moab and seem to be a pretty hard compound.

Do you guys think the boggers would work better in Moab or the Iroks? If the Boggers won't work better than I'm thinking I should just suck it up and stay with the IROKs.

BigDaveZJ
06-17-2009, 08:18 PM
I think I could count on one hand the number of rigs I've seen running Boggers in Moab in my 10-15 trips there.

ELLLLLIOTTTTT
06-17-2009, 08:51 PM
Boggers suck in Moab. They don't have enough contact area hitting the rocks, even fully aired down. IROK's are a good tire if you are doing a lot of versatile terrain like mud, logs, rocks, etc. The BFG M/T's and Goodyear MT/R's are both great tires for Moab slickrock.

cLAYH
06-18-2009, 12:48 AM
Interesting, many of people I went down to Moab with last time were running Boggers and they seemed to work well. It was my first time there and it took awhile to get the feel of it. I can definatly see what you are saying about the surface contact though.

I agree totally on the versatility of the IROK, mud, logs, loose rock and skeg pretty much sums up what we have around here. Oh yeah and snow! Cann't forget the winter wheeling! Iroks work well in it all but I was just surprised how much I wore off them last time I went to moab.

Thanks for the tips. I think I'll talk with the people I went to Moab with last time that were running boggers and see if they liked it or were just running them because thats what they had.