PDA

View Full Version : Stuff Accessible from the Driver's Seat

SirFuego
06-15-2009, 11:45 AM
So after a little off camber situation yesterday (pics and story to come in my build thread once my buddy uploads the pics), I realized that I needed to keep my tow strap more easily accessible to throw to someone when I get in an unexpectedly off camber situation.

So this got me to thinking, what are objects that should be easily accessible in the driver's seat (while strapped in by either a harness or locked up seat belt)? I understand you can't keep everything accessible from the driver's seat, but you sometimes need quick access to some things when you are in a pickle.

Here is my list:
- All relevant shifters, switches (i.e. lockers, ignition, battery cut off), and pedals (Obviously, but many situations where you need quick access to these objects, you might have restricted motion from being strapped into a harness or a seat belt locked up).

- Fire extinguisher (seconds count when it comes to fires.)

- Tow strap (for those unexpected off camber situations where you might need a strap help to keep you upright)

What else am I missing?

OverkillZJ
06-15-2009, 11:54 AM
I have no windshield: I leave it hooked up to the front, and resting across the dash. Haven't thrown it yet, just put it over instead. Fire extinguisher is in reach on my b-pillar, but I imagine if I needed it in a REAL panic I might not get to it on time if the rigs on its left side. Battery cutoff: never installed, but I don't lead by example, should absolutely have one in reach if you think you might ever put it over.

ATL ZJ
06-15-2009, 12:09 PM
Agreed on all the above. The only other item I would add would be a helmet if you are not already wearing it. The easier it is to reach, the more encouraged you will be to actually wear it when you need to

Also, try to keep everything you'd not only need, but want within reach while wearing your full harnesses. This includes water, music, CB, etc. If it's more convenient for you to wear your shoulder straps, you'll find yourself wearing them more.

Nonstop
06-15-2009, 12:26 PM
I keep a bunch of stuff handy in the center console, gauze/abpads/tape, cell phone, other things odd and small. But strapped down or locked down within reach, an extinguisher, I have 4 total, 2lg. 2 sm. may seem like over kill, but people around here have a habit of being stupid. A good size (33") pry bar behind the front seats, I have three flash lights within reach, one mag 3 cell on floor, 2 good AA size led within arms length. I Always have a knife (or 3) handy, one good size, my machete mounted to the back of my passenger seat. I'm a knife guy and this is Florida, a good multi tool in the center. I keep my strap on the floor behind the passenger bung'd to the seat brackets.. To say the least we wheel in totally different environments, swamps, hammoks, overgrown areas, deep water and canals, etc.
Everything is either strapped down, clip locked/and rubber strapped, like the maglite, or in a carrier designed for it. I have rolled my share of vehicles, my last WJ decided to roll on command and I got smacked in the head with a 70qt cooler and some of my tools both of which I thought where secure..

jsteves
06-15-2009, 01:24 PM
winch controller.

chadjans
06-16-2009, 01:28 AM
All winch controlers
Tree strap
tow strap
Fire extengisher
D ring
Snatch block
Transmission shifter detent ground between drive, netural and reverse.

The dring and snatch block on my rig are on the bumpers

OverkillZJ
06-16-2009, 01:38 AM
At this rate: the meaning of life. Choose what you can fit.

chadjans
06-17-2009, 03:28 AM
High lift should be easily accessable. More accessable the shorter / less capable your rig is.

SB406
06-17-2009, 02:45 PM
The real question you should be asking is:
How long do you have before the fuel pump starves for fuel, loses pressure, and limits your ability to drive out of it. :smt110

SirFuego
06-17-2009, 02:55 PM
Uh huh. Planning to replace the fuel pump soon. Should hopefully be a good time to look at a cheaper external fuel pump than the expensive internal one.

slim616
06-18-2009, 09:36 AM
So after a little off camber situation yesterday (pics and story to come in my build thread once my buddy uploads the pics), I realized that I needed to keep my tow strap more easily accessible to throw to someone when I get in an unexpectedly off camber situation.

this is what the reverse on your tranny is for;)

Also depending on the year the 5.2 wont be able to use an external fuel pump because the computer tells the internal pump how much fuel to send. Let me see if I can find the thread.

SirFuego
06-18-2009, 09:40 AM
Reverse doesn't work too well when zero of the 4 tires have traction and the front passenger tire is slowly sinking into quicksand like mud. ;-)

EDIT: I should be good for the external fuel pump. It's been posted a couple times already for 93ZJ w/ 5.2L (Swamp Boy and gsh)

SB406
06-18-2009, 09:42 AM
E2000

slim616
06-18-2009, 09:47 AM
damn you quick, well heres the info anyway for those that don't know.

"93-95 318's are regulated at the fuel rail, 96-98 318's and 360's are regulated at the PUMP, which is why there's no return line on late model ZJ's, and one reason I made the stock pump work.

I suppose you could swap in an early ZJ fuel rail to a late model ZJ if needed to regulate it"

as a side note mine was a 95 and it was regulated at the pump, so that year is a toss up.