PDA

View Full Version : Another one bites the dust...

dads5.9
06-03-2009, 12:37 PM
We spent all day yesterday finishing up Justin's (jsteves) Jeep for the trip to Moab. About 8:00 last night we had to make a final parts/supplies run and the 5.9 was running a little rough when accelerating hard. I thought maybe a little gunk in the throttle body. I threw some injector cleaner in the tank, thinking that maybe I had a little crap on one of the injectors.

As we're coming back to the house I floored it to push some fuel through the injectors and hopefully clean it out. Well it is cleaned out all right. As I let off the gas the Jeep died. When I tried to restart it, it was a no go. I cranked very fast generally meaning that it doesn't have compression, indicating a serious timing problem. I think that the timing chained jumped or the Camshaft broke. We walked home and finished installing the new winch on Justin's Jeep and went and towed it home.

I decided that it would be too stressful to pull a repair marathon and try and salvage the trip so I'll be riding in the backseat for this GSW.

V

CrawlerReady
06-03-2009, 12:55 PM
Well shit that sucks! I'm sorry to hear about that, it's probably best not to rush a job like that though...

zj95maxx
06-03-2009, 01:00 PM
Yeah, taking that to moab would be about as smart as finishing your one ton/ buggy build over on the east coast the towing it to moab to test it.:D

please don't ban me Matt:finga:

Cody
06-03-2009, 01:00 PM
That's a bummer Verlan, but at least you'll still make it. You seem to have bad luck with wheelin---bent door frame, 3rd member, the little mishap on High Dive, and now this. I'm just going to throw this out there, but maybe if that rig wasn't so darn pretty the luck fairy wouldn't pick on you so much.

See you tomorrow!

dads5.9
06-03-2009, 01:20 PM
Yeah, there is something about Moab, and that Jeep. This time it just said NO!

The only good news is it didn't die on the trail in Moab, where it had to be drug out and repaired in Moab.

We'll see you tomorrow. Drive safe.

Matt
06-03-2009, 02:40 PM
Sucks to here, drive safe everyone, wish I was leaving today to join all of you!

dads5.9
06-03-2009, 02:49 PM
For once it looks like the PANIC was premature. Justin was running a couple of hours behind schedule so I decided to go troubleshoot the Jeep. I pulled a plug and it looked good, so I checked compression, and to my surprise so did it. So I checked and I had fuel in the rail, so that just left spark. I found that the wire had fallen off the bottom of the coil.

The Jeep is packed and we're on the way...

CrawlerReady
06-03-2009, 03:42 PM
Well that is EXCELLENT news! I'll see you down there!

Cody
06-03-2009, 03:56 PM
Ha! Nice.

That never happens for me! Drive safely.

mckeonm
06-03-2009, 07:41 PM
Glad to hear someone is having good luck. See you guys next year!!

Goosed76
06-03-2009, 08:11 PM
lol, thats just crazy- but sure a hell of alot cheaper than a new cam or engine!!

PassRunnerZJ
06-03-2009, 11:28 PM
Cool news! Much cheaper too, because if you have to rebuild/replace then you have to decide 5.9 or find a 6.1...

SCAMPER ZJ
06-03-2009, 11:59 PM
PHEW see you there!

wheelnzj
06-04-2009, 05:05 PM
Well I hope everyone has fun. I had to cancel for this year. Dam I hate missing out on going to Moab, I love that place. If anyone wants to come out in Sept. for Grand Slam Rubicon 2009 all are welcome.

Again- Have fun and be safe (Verlan).
Ron

ELLLLLIOTTTTT
06-04-2009, 05:49 PM
Glad that the niner worked out for ya V! We'll see you in a couple of hours.

Ron, hopefully you can make it next year. I'll rock my own gardener's straw hat in your honor!

wheelnzj
06-05-2009, 07:46 PM
Thanks Elliott. I am on duty all weekend, so again have fun and drink one for me!
:drinkers:

Colorado 5.9
06-10-2009, 02:00 AM
My Dad was asking if you guys came this year & I told him no. Thought you were going to make it. Now I can tell him why.

Well I hope everyone has fun. I had to cancel for this year. Dam I hate missing out on going to Moab, I love that place. If anyone wants to come out in Sept. for Grand Slam Rubicon 2009 all are welcome.

Again- Have fun and be safe (Verlan).
Ron

Mochisme
06-11-2009, 01:40 AM
" Sept. for Grand Slam Rubicon 2009"

Where can I find more information about this? I would love to add it to my schedule, but need info

ArloGuthroJeep
06-11-2009, 09:33 AM
http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=82

CrawlerReady
06-11-2009, 09:34 AM
" Sept. for Grand Slam Rubicon 2009"

Where can I find more information about this? I would love to add it to my schedule, but need info

Through a post up in this thread: http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18508

or PM wheelnzj (Ron) and see if he's got fixed dates yet