PDA

View Full Version : new Jettas

BigDaveZJ
05-28-2009, 02:21 PM
We're thinking about picking up one of the new Jettas now that Pam's ZJ is paid for. I really like the idea of the TDI, but we don't really need that. Anybody have one of the newer Jettas? We'll probably just do a 3/36 lease, so there's a warranty and maintenence the whole time we have it, meaning I don't have to do a damn thing to it! That's worth like $100/month alone to me, lol.

BigClay
05-28-2009, 02:44 PM
Wife has a GL, and loves it. Me on the other hand, I feel like I lose some of my manhood when I am driving it around without her. It gets good gas mileage for a sedan, and the little four banger has enough juice to get on the highway, but you are not going to win any races. Wierdest thing is the transmission, it takes a few seconds to kick into drive from park, supposedly that is normal on these.

BigDaveZJ
05-28-2009, 02:58 PM
It's primary use will be Pam's DD, although I will have an 80 mile roundtrip commute for 5-9 weeks of training with the new job, so I may use it for some of that too to not put 400 miles a week on the truck.

BigClay
05-28-2009, 03:03 PM
It has been a very dependable car, just make sure and get the options. My wife's is stripped with no cruise and manual windows, so if it was the GLS version, I would probably like it more.

ArloGuthroJeep
05-28-2009, 03:11 PM
My mom has one (4 banger w/turbo) and it is very peppy and fun to drive when the turbo kicks in. As far as I know it hasn't had any real issues that she didn't cause herself:D

BigClay
05-28-2009, 03:26 PM
Ahh, speaking of the turbos, I have heard bad things about them. A few friends had the turbo (gas) version, and ended up replacing the turbo before they hit 50k miles. I would stick with the straigh 4 banger, or the V6.

ELLLLLIOTTTTT
05-28-2009, 05:50 PM
Look into Audi's. You can lease a similary equipped A3 for just a little bit more and it is far more comfortable and gets just as good mileage. Also you can get a Quattro (if you don't mind having an auto) for the winter driving. Also, they are fairly roomy, even for freakish 6'5" people.

nc59dude
05-28-2009, 07:31 PM
brother in law has a tdi- he gets 45-50 mpg depending on where he's driving. they take full synthetic so oil changes are recommended every 10,000 miles... like said before- you're not going to win any races- but itll go as fast as you need it to.

dads5.9
05-28-2009, 08:56 PM
We've got a 2000 Jetta, Passat and A4. The Audi is definately much quieter than the VWs. The drivetrain is essentially the same except for the TDI. I'd probably echo Elliott's suggestio to check out the Audi. The quattro is great in the winter.

V

BigClay
05-28-2009, 09:07 PM
The inside of my wife's Jetta is quiter than the inside of my mom's BMW, and much quieter than my Tahoe :smt042

Flexdxj
06-11-2009, 04:47 PM
Ahh, speaking of the turbos, I have heard bad things about them. A few friends had the turbo (gas) version, and ended up replacing the turbo before they hit 50k miles. I would stick with the straigh 4 banger, or the V6.

The New Jetta don't have a 6 option its a 5 cyl. I'd go with a 2.0T or more likely a TDI w/dsg! I haven't heard about turbo issues but I haven't been to vwvortex forever so that may be true I don't know! :cool:

grandmaster
06-11-2009, 11:54 PM
I work at Carquest and take call's from all the local mechanics everyday. I am extremely surprised how many call's I take from these shops that are fixing Jetta's both new and old. Out of curiousity I ask the milage on them and the majority of them are between 15-20 thousand. They call on anything from turbo's to radiators, tierods, a/c stuff, clutch's, and the number 1 is head gaskets! IMO i would stay away, I was looking into getting one but after talking with the mechanic's it just seems like a hassle for how much money you will be spending to fix it.

boosted1800cc
06-12-2009, 12:15 PM
The new MK6s are supposed to be coming out in a year or 2. They will have the Blutec diesels. The MK5s are great cars, better put together than my MK4. I've owned a MK4 for 6yrs and it ran like a champ. Abused the shit out of it before it finally gave up at 108k, put about 30k miles on it @ 20lbs of boost (215whp\263wtq) with a warped head. I've worked on them for shops, and have lots of friends in the scene, as long as you take care of them they last forever. The 2.0t and TDi are far better engines for DD\reliability than the 1.8t was. And if passing power is a worry, I say chip it if you get a Diesel, $500 and you are at 150whp/270wtq.

ZJ TINS
06-12-2009, 02:21 PM
Every Audi or (liquid cooled motor) VW owner I know has had nothing but massive electrical problems not to mention ridiculous repair bills... if you can get the part.

For foreign I would think about Camry (semi luxury), or Civic or Mazda 3 for smaller cars, and Ford Focus if American (not sure how much % content). Camry is 75% North American, Civic is up to 50%, not sure on Mazda.

Flexdxj
06-12-2009, 04:08 PM
Every Audi or (liquid cooled motor) VW owner I know has had nothing but massive electrical problems not to mention ridiculous repair bills... if you can get the part.

Thats true somewhat but We drive Jeeps they have their electrical gremlins too. I traded my 87 Gli(with its fair share of issues) in on my Jeep and still miss that thing!

JordanA
06-15-2009, 07:20 PM
Smaller Subaru's get good gas mileage too and you get the all wheel drive to boot, in either a 5/6 speed or auto. The newer Subie's look a hell of a lot better than they have in the past, too.

Oh, and not all Subaru owners drive like 80 year olds on Sunday, either!

Kirsch98ZJ
06-15-2009, 11:25 PM
I have an 08 impreza w/ a 5 spd for a daily driver. 25 around town 30 or so on the highway and its relatively fun to drive. Its a very comfortable car and you cant beat what you get for the money. 170hp, AWD, power windows and locks, cd, lots of storage, larger trunk, plenty of room inside etc etc all for 17 grand. Ive got 22kmi on mine and have had 0 issues, fit and finish is excellent. Id try to stay away from the auto though, its only a 4 spd and makes the car a dog.

jsteves
06-16-2009, 10:18 AM
[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]Every Audi or (liquid cooled motor) VW owner I know has had nothing but massive electrical problems not to mention ridiculous repair bills... if you can get the part.

This rumor is a popular one with people that don't own Audi's or people that beat the piss out of 'em, rarely even bother to change the oil and expect that thing just to keep going. As with any car - take care of it and it will be a great car. I have owned several Audi's, not a single one with less than 100k and I have never (knock on wood) had a major issue with them. Take care of your Audi and it will take care of you.

As for interior noise unless the new MK6 is MUCH quieter than there is no way. Every VW I have ever been in has so much road noise you have to turn the volume up on the radio in an effort to drown it out. The only exception to that is my friend's Toureg. I have been in Passats, Jettas, and Tiquans and they are all annoying loud.

Last word, I would never be seen dead in a civic. I hate those cars :finga: My wife has a Corolla much like Matt's. If want something that is a bore to drive but is the most dependable POS you will ever own then get a Corolla.

Hurricane 4x4
06-16-2009, 01:15 PM
A friend of mine has an 06 jetta tdi. Its a solid little car. I've driven it around a bit (just to the store to get beer) and I rode with him in it down to the beach once. We got 49mpg, no joke. And we were doing 80 most of the way. The little diesel is plenty of power for it too. It had the tiptronic automatic and the tiptronic feature worked really well I thought. The shifts were firm and quick.

I like the jetta. I can't compare it to much but I thought for the gas mpg it got, the power of the motor, the ride, brakes, looks, and interior room + fit and finish were all great. The trunk space is really good too. Going down to the beach for the weekend to duck hunt we had shotguns, waders, ammo and camo for two guys, and my girlfriend's huge suitcase and stupid pink rain boots all fit in the trunk with room to spare. And we made it there and back for less than $15.

I know they say its dumb to spend extra money on a car with better mpg. because the investment will take forever to pay itself back, but if I had a car that could go to the beach and back for $15 I know I would go alot more often. I'm really thinking about getting something just for these kinds of trips. I own a sailboat that I keep on the chesapeake bay but it costs me $60 to get there and back in the jeep and I know I would get alot more use out of the boat if it was only a couple of bucks to drive up there and go sailing.

ZJ TINS
06-16-2009, 01:38 PM
I literally know of no one who likes there VW long term... due to repairs. Short terms lots of cars are of fun to drive, sporty, etc. etc. But long term it is not fun having a car die randomly then have to wait to get it fixed, for a steep price.

My son's grilfriend just spent over $4k getting her Audi fixed, 80k miles, main repair was water pump replacement where they have to remove the whole front of the car to get to the water pump. I thought they were kidding till I searched the internet and found out this is true.

Also you can look at all of the reliability ratings and the VW's are near the bottom, so are many of the Audi models.

Buyer beware!

jsteves
06-16-2009, 04:11 PM
If she paid $4k for a water pump, et all she is nuts. The parts to do the water pump t-stat and timing belt (yes you have to remove most of the front) are less than $200 and most shops will do all of them for $550-950.

boosted1800cc
06-17-2009, 12:51 PM
I literally know of no one who likes there VW long term... due to repairs. Short terms lots of cars are of fun to drive, sporty, etc. etc. But long term it is not fun having a car die randomly then have to wait to get it fixed, for a steep price.

Buyer beware! So let me get this right, you KNOW a bunch of people, but have no personal experience yourself. :smt046

If all the people you knew said sucking dick was the greatest thing in the world would you be on here toting that up to? :confused:

OverkillZJ
06-17-2009, 01:26 PM
I'll never own another German car (had an Audi.)

Not worth the expense and crazy ways of repair. My friends VW's were the of the same experience.

My moms Audi's steering pump just blew... $2,200 later...

OverkillZJ
06-17-2009, 01:27 PM
If she paid $4k for a water pump, et all she is nuts. The parts to do the water pump t-stat and timing belt (yes you have to remove most of the front) are less than $200 and most shops will do all of them for $550-950.

Over a couple grand wouldn't surprise me...

Katesdad
06-18-2009, 10:42 AM
My friend had an old audi in the 90s and a used tranny was 1500 then. His water pump on his 5 series BMW was a grand 4 weeks later the coolant tank was a grand... ouch. I have had one vw. A 69 beetle I was 12 I think, drove it here in the pasture for a summer.

midwestxj
06-23-2009, 03:25 PM
Wow, it's been like a year since i posted here. I have a 99 Passat that was bought new and a 09 Jetta sport wagen bought new. Passatt had some electrical issues but nothing major and the car has been flawless mechanically through 120K miles. Just had the timing belt done including water pump and it was about $1500 so whoever paid $4000 is crazy. The Jetta's we were test driving had a HUGE difference between the motors. The 2.5l could not get up to speed in a reasonable amount of time. Now the 2.0T with the 6speed manual is really quick and handles real well.have only had the jetta for 6 months now with no major problems through 6k miles.

ZJ TINS
06-23-2009, 06:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZJ TINS http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/images/001/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthread.php?p=249170#post249170)

Buyer beware!

So let me get this right, you KNOW a bunch of people, but have no personal experience yourself. :smt046

If all the people you knew said sucking dick was the greatest thing in the world would you be on here toting that up to? :confused:

So go buy one, dont listen to anyone, and when you have massive failures and problems go talk to people about sucking dick... on JU.:smt073

boosted1800cc
06-24-2009, 12:19 PM
So go buy one, dont listen to anyone, and when you have massive failures and problems go talk to people about sucking dick... on JU.:smt073
Reading comprehension owns you fool.
:smt090

ELLLLLIOTTTTT
06-24-2009, 01:33 PM
Wow, this thread is getting ridiculous.

For the record I :smt049 my Audi. You just have to treat it right like any other car and it will give you years of reliability and fun.

OverkillZJ
06-24-2009, 01:52 PM
I actually have "I hate my Audi" painted on my workbench, from years ago when I found myself fixing it, and my moms, monthly. I hope other folks have better luck, but I'll stay away from the VW's and Audi's altoghether, parts and repairs aren't worth the name.