PDA

View Full Version : Colorado Wheelers-Remote Camping?

MrFreeze5
05-22-2009, 09:12 PM
Im not sure if this is the right area, but it seems the closest fit. Im trying to plan my birthday. bad things happen when I try to plan social events or involve anyone else. My best birthdays have been spent far away from civilization. So Im trying to plan ahead. My birthday is in July, so its hot as shit, usually, which Im not real fond of. Ive spent some time up around leadville before in the summer and it gets downright cold at night(which i love!) and is cool during the days. But that was at Camp Hale, which is pretty public. But I LOVED the area.

Im looking for some nice areas in the high country for some secluded camping. I dont mind some light wheeling to get in, but Im not sure my rig will be 4wd by then. But it will still be locked in the rear on 37s. I want to go somewhere for a few days where I wont see another person at all. Maybe some fishing, some light scenic hiking, probably not wheeling much since itll probably just be me and the dog. Any recommendations?

Matt
05-22-2009, 11:57 PM
Hummm, Colorado is pretty crowded (and getting more so) to not see ONE person for days on a trail you can get close to by car (backpacking miles in maybe).

I've hiked 100's of miles in CO and the most remote place is usually not the most amazing place in CO. I'd say the North West corner you could probably find a trial that leads to nowhere where you'll see no one. But Why? My advice (besides going to Canada or Alaska), go see the best Colorado has to offer! Drive Pearl Pass, then go down to the SW area and do Yankee Boy Basin, Black Bear Pass, Imogene Pass, go to Ouray, Creede (not many have been to Creede, is f'n beautiful), Pagosa Springs, Durango, see the Maroon Bells in person, hell climb them! Drive tin cup over to Taylor Res and spend the day drinking hippie coffee in Crested Butte. Go to the great sand dunes, the black canyon, wheel Holy Cross, Blanca, and Antero.

Will you see a few others in your tracks, sure, but you'll have a hell of a lot better experience than sitting in a tent, eating fish and spanking it. This is Colorado, not Siberia.

Sorry to be direct, but that's my .02.

MrFreeze5
05-23-2009, 12:26 AM
Im ok with seeing the occasional person, but i dont want something like public campgrounds or crowded areas. When I settle at night by the fire, Id like to know there isnt anyone nearby but the wilderness. I dont want to hear complaining kids, or people getting rowdy drinking by the fire. I want peace and quiet. Somewhere I can go thats kinda remote, where I can pick my own spot and be alone for the most part. I do like teh idea of making a weekend road trip out of it and maybe camping in different areas. I havent really had the opportunity to take a scenic trip in Co yet and I would like to.

MrFreeze5
05-23-2009, 12:28 AM
My perfectly ideal location ever, would be somewhere in a valley, surrounded by peaks on the edge of a lake, surrounded by trees, no other person for miles.

Id be more interested in sight seeing if I wasnt alone. The beauutiful sights just dont seem the same alone and make me feel depressed. Since ill be alone, im content to find a secluded spot and just enjoy the area.

I tend to get fed up with humanity pretty often and its nice to get away from all of it sometime. On a normal day, my neighborhood is full of car alarms, bumping subds, and siesta music. Dogs barking, people yelling, and all I want to do is go outside and yell fuck off and start swinging a baseball bat. I need to unwind in peace and solitude for a bit.

Matt
05-23-2009, 10:28 AM
If you're confindent in your driving skills... this is your spot.

A night or two at the 12000ft lake como is all you need.
http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=112

It has wonderful fishing, camping, hiking and surrounded by some of my fav mountains in CO. Epic wheeling too! It's nice to stop by the great sand dunes for a couple hours too.

jsteves
05-23-2009, 10:50 AM
except he said no hard wheeling and few people.

Matt
05-23-2009, 10:55 AM
Oh, it'd be hard to run Blanca in 2wd. :D I just remembered the locked/37's part. Blanca usually has few people camping early in the summer.

I assume you don't want to backpack in?

MrFreeze5
05-23-2009, 12:57 PM
Ill keep that one in mind. Its POSSIBLE ill have 4wd in time, but not likely. But thats damn pretty.

Right now, Im considering gonig back to camp hale. the area is pretty big and when I was there, it was june, and I only saw one family and they were set up about a mile across the valley, which is ok. But there isnt much else to do around there. There are hiking trails, but no fishing. Id like to kick back with a few beers and cast out. I dont really care if I catch much, but its fun aynway.

Rangerwj
05-26-2009, 12:00 AM
palmeroy lakes are cool there is sometimes a couple ppl up there but not to bad. light to moderate wheeling and 2 lakes at 12k ft. love it up there

Mtn WJ
05-26-2009, 12:30 AM
If you like Leadville and want to camp along a trail you could try Half Moon which is off Hwy 24 on south end of Leadville. Last time I was up there, it was pretty light on other rigs. I think it is because of the river crossings to access it. There is a campground at the start of the trail but not too many rigs on the trail itself.

ArloGuthroJeep
05-26-2009, 08:51 AM
Go hit up Mt. Sneffels Wilderness down in the San Juan Mountains.

You can park at Yankee Boy Basin and either climb Mt. Sneffels (14k ft) or hike over the ridge (closer to 11.5k ft I think) and drop into the Wilderness. You could also approach from the South or West and see fewer people. Once in the Wilderness you would be hard pressed to see anyone there I think.

Looking down into Yankee Boy Basin:
http://arlojeep.com/Trip-Reports/San-Juan-8-31-08/Weberized/IMG_8841_resize.JPG

Into Mt. Sneffels Wilderness from the top of Mt. Sneffels:
http://arlojeep.com/Trip-Reports/San-Juan-8-31-08/Weberized/IMG_8845_resize.JPG

The ridge you pop up and over if you don't want to summit:
http://arlojeep.com/Trip-Reports/San-Juan-8-31-08/Weberized/IMG_1057_resize.jpg

BigDaveZJ
05-26-2009, 08:56 AM
Silly mountan goat.

Matt
05-26-2009, 12:28 PM
The blue lake area was pretty popular when I camped there. But the lake is a beaut.

If you really wanted to get away... the chicago basin area is large enough you can find a place where you won't see another person for days and days. From Denver it's only a 7 hour drive, a 2.5 hr train ride and 6-10 miles of backpacking in. WooT!

MrFreeze5
05-26-2009, 08:02 PM
Go hit up Mt. Sneffels Wilderness down in the San Juan Mountains.

You can park at Yankee Boy Basin and either climb Mt. Sneffels (14k ft) or hike over the ridge (closer to 11.5k ft I think) and drop into the Wilderness. You could also approach from the South or West and see fewer people. Once in the Wilderness you would be hard pressed to see anyone there I think.

Looking down into Yankee Boy Basin:
http://arlojeep.com/Trip-Reports/San-Juan-8-31-08/Weberized/IMG_8841_resize.JPG

Into Mt. Sneffels Wilderness from the top of Mt. Sneffels:
http://arlojeep.com/Trip-Reports/San-Juan-8-31-08/Weberized/IMG_8845_resize.JPG

The ridge you pop up and over if you don't want to summit:
http://arlojeep.com/Trip-Reports/San-Juan-8-31-08/Weberized/IMG_1057_resize.jpg

Wow, thats gorgeous. Ill put that on the list for a trip where I dont want to relax so much. plus I dont think ym dog is that in to mtn climbing.

thats another reason i dont want hard wheeling going in, she loves riding in the jeep, but she doesnt do so well when things start moving around all crazy. She does NOT enjoy wheeling, it scares her(shes a sissy)

ArloGuthroJeep
05-26-2009, 08:16 PM
The blue lake area was pretty popular when I camped there. But the lake is a beaut.

Now that you mention it, I was there on like a Tuesday or Thursday so we didn't have any weekend traffic. Didn't see anyone down by the lakes and only saw 4 other people on Mt. Sneffels...

BigDaveZJ
05-26-2009, 08:18 PM
If you go up McAllister Gulch a little bit from Camp Hale you could get away from people a bit more. Trail shouldn't be too bad, I ran it stock with NO issues.