PDA

View Full Version : GSE June 5-7, 2009 - Attendance List

MoonWorks
05-22-2009, 03:08 AM
So who else is going? So far I think the list is...

MoonWorks
Bruce
Beerman
Slim616
O'Tool
SirFuego
jdconti
Silverback
NRV95ZJ
BLK97ZJ

Who else? I'll update the list as you confirm. Ask if you have questions about time, registration, place of the event etc.

O'Tool
05-22-2009, 10:50 AM
confirmed for me... and I'm bringing at least my dad and maybe my brother...
Trying to make them catch the bug! (Then maybe I won't have to take so much flak for my mods!!!)

Slim, you got new tube doors yet??

slim616
05-22-2009, 07:31 PM
confirmed for me... and I'm bringing at least my dad and maybe my brother...
Trying to make them catch the bug! (Then maybe I won't have to take so much flak for my mods!!!)

Slim, you got new tube doors yet??

no, but maybe we'll work something out over a few beers;)

zj95maxx
05-22-2009, 11:15 PM
Isn't this just the spring fling? same cost and whatnot?

Sudz
05-23-2009, 07:16 AM
yup - the grey poupon gang peels off from the main group and forms their own rides

you elitist bastards :flipoff2:

MoonWorks
05-23-2009, 09:35 AM

GSE is being held in conjunction with Spring Fling at bigdogs like it is every year. So no it's not just spring fling. But yes, the cost to wheel and camp are the same. Anyone looking to pre-register can just sign up on bigdogsoffroad.com for the spring fling event. We will line up seperately from the rest of the rigs in attendance. We're trying to get all the grands to camp together as well. Not 100% sure on that as of now.

Bigdogs only runs 4 times a year. GSE can piggy back on any of the events we choose. We've always chosen to have GSE in June, except for one year which was in Sept.

BLK97ZJ
05-23-2009, 10:02 AM
I'm coming!

zj95maxx
05-23-2009, 10:28 AM
what trails? pennsyltucky,bunny,corum,insanity?

I want to test the legs of the zj if I go. not end up doing what we did on that last group of grands, preppie, and run those trails where zjs on 31s were following us on 35's.

MoonWorks
05-23-2009, 10:42 AM
what trails? pennsyltucky,bunny,corum,insanity?

I want to test the legs of the zj if I go. not end up doing what we did on that last group of grands, preppie, and run those trails where zjs on 31s were following us on 35's.

Don't know exactly what we're going to run yet. All depends on who is what group and who shows up. Depending on how the rigs are built and the drivers abilities in that group, then we'll make a final decision.

But if you line up with guys w/ 31's, and you're on 40's, than that's your choice and you'll have to run what they do. But again that's your choice. Just b/c you have a grand doesn't mean you have to run with the grands at GSE. You're more than welcome to line up with other groups at spring fling. And we've never had a grand run through insanity, the bottom hole of bunny, or p-tucky. I think we'll get there if grands keep getting built the way they are now and we can get a good enough group together. But corum, v-trail and ET are for sure on the list of trails I'd like to run.

The group you're talking about a couple years was about the worst run I've been on up there. We encountered about every possible problem we could have. And most of them we just stupid problems like burped tires, popped beads, broken drum spring (still can't get passed that one), shafts etc. We hardly got any trail time but had tons of problems. I hope we never have a run like that again. So that's not the norm.

zj95maxx
05-23-2009, 10:45 AM
I would make decisions based on when I get there for sure. But I plan on hitting that same bottom hole as what pat did at bunny. Looks fun

Silverback
05-25-2009, 01:56 PM
Yep, I'll be there.

...and my brother is coming with me. Fist time, he's been to GSE since 2000 I think. Unfortunately though, I think his ZJ is still not running but maybe this will put a fire under him.

SirFuego
05-25-2009, 04:01 PM
Ring & pinion and hopefully beefier shafts should be going in this week. So I'm a yes right now.

slim616
05-25-2009, 09:52 PM
don't worry max i'll line up with you on my 36's and play a little follow the leader. usally i run one day with the grands and the next with my club that runs all the harder stuff.

zj95maxx
05-25-2009, 10:17 PM
don't worry max i'll line up with you on my 36's and play a little follow the leader. usally i run one day with the grands and the next with my club that runs all the harder stuff.
haaaahaaaaa its on!!

zj95maxx
05-27-2009, 08:57 PM
updates?

I am about 99% sure I am coming.
I would love to camp with all the MC crew. I don't know If I will wheel the entire time with the grands though, we shall see.

slim616
05-27-2009, 09:08 PM
i'll be at camp 6

MoonWorks
05-27-2009, 10:52 PM
I'm waiting to hear back from John Hunt now. I sent in the pre-orders for shirts this morning. I'll be on the horn with him tomorrow and will be discussing not only shirts but camping area as well. GSE used to camp together but its been years so I'm attempting to get it all together again. We'll see.

zj95maxx
05-28-2009, 11:20 AM
Well, like always. Relying on other people doesn't work. This is just one more time I have to back out. Pat's girlfriend's graduation is that saturday, so he can't go. So I am truckless to tow with.

I guess I will hit up crozet that sunday or something... sorry guys. I wish I could be there

SirFuego
05-28-2009, 03:53 PM
usally i run one day with the grands and the next with my club that runs all the harder stuff.

What day were you planning to run with the grands? I was thinking Friday so I don't start out with anything too crazy and make it a short wheeling weekend. Then I'll probably run with the WNY crew for the rest of the weekend.

SirFuego
05-28-2009, 04:06 PM
Well, like always. Relying on other people doesn't work. This is just one more time I have to back out. Pat's girlfriend's graduation is that saturday, so he can't go. So I am truckless to tow with.

Drive your junk there. Get AAA to tow it back if you break. Gore, VA to Midlothian is about 165 miles. $125 gets you a AAA premiere membership with one tow up to 200 miles and three more of up to 100 miles -- which should cover you for three breakages at Crozet, too.

SB406
05-28-2009, 04:40 PM
I'll be there, but I don't have a Grand. Maybe I'll stop by the MC camp at some point. I'll be in the PBR buggy riding with thw WNYO crew.

Jared, fair warning- Things escalate quickly on Saturday and Sunday so bring tools if you end up in our group. You bringing a spotter or riding solo?

SirFuego
05-28-2009, 04:58 PM
Yeah I planned on bringing tools and whatever spare parts I have. I'm still undecided what trails I'm going to run. I think a lot will hinge on how Friday turns out. I won't have a spotter :(

MoonWorks
05-28-2009, 05:07 PM
Your spotter will be who ever is in front/behind you! :)

I popped a radiator last trip about 10 mins after it came off the trailer. Rad wasn't that old so I have no clue as to why it blew. But it opened up from top to bottom, 1.5" wide! Bitch exploded. I've got a new rad in, new rad cap, new thermostat and now a new sending unit. Doesn't seem to be running right and I can't any engine temp in the cab either. I grounded out the sending unit so I know the wiring/guage is good and the sending unit is new (today) so I can't figure it out. I'll get there!

slim616
05-28-2009, 07:26 PM
Seeing that this will be a shake down run for the rig i'm going to take it easy on it fri and run with the grands then if its still in one piece run the harder stuff sat and sat night with my club. Still have a bunch stuff that I need to get finished on the thing. I'm hoping this weekend that ill be able to finish up a good portion of the list.

MoonWorks
05-28-2009, 09:19 PM
Seeing that this will be a shake down run for the rig i'm going to take it easy on it fri and run with the grands then if its still in one piece run the harder stuff sat and sat night with my club. Still have a bunch stuff that I need to get finished on the thing. I'm hoping this weekend that ill be able to finish up a good portion of the list.

Sunday should be your hardest run day! :smt096

I generally run easier on friday as well to try and make sure I can run a second day atleast.

slim616
05-29-2009, 07:04 AM
usally I don't run sunday just beacuase I like to get home at a decent time. by the time we cook breakfast and break down camp its 11am anyway.

Max heres what you should do, you and pat come down fri and wheel, sat he goes home for the graduation, you keep wheeling then pat comes back sat nite/ sun and wheels one more day.

SB406
05-29-2009, 01:25 PM
Doesn't seem to be running right and I can't any engine temp in the cab either. I grounded out the sending unit so I know the wiring/guage is good and the sending unit is new (today) so I can't figure it out. I'll get there!

Sounds like you have an air bubble trapped in the system.

MoonWorks
05-29-2009, 01:52 PM
Sounds like you have an air bubble trapped in the system.

I haven't had cooling issues in over a year. So why the rad exploded is unknown to me. It was about 4 years old. I know there wasn't any air in the system before.

Now, I think you're right and tried burping it out most of yesterday w/out success. In the past when I've gotten air bubbles it I would just inconsistant temp readings. But atleast I'd get something...now I'm not getting any type of reading. I'll be back working on it again tonight.

SB406
05-29-2009, 03:37 PM
Has the T-Stat opened yet?
If you get an air bubble behind the thermostat, it usually has to heat up higher than normal to get it to open the first time until the air burps. I usually drill a 1/8" hole in my thermostats to let the air bubble get out before the t-stat opens the first time. Sender won't read anything without liquid on it either.

Does the 5.2 in ZJ's have bleeder ports to burp out air? I'm not too familiar with how they're set up in the grands. On the 5.2L in my tow rig (van) I had to crack open the heater hose connection (highest point in the system) with it running to burp the air after completely draining the system to do a water pump.

As for the exploding rad, my first reaction is check the rad cap (I see you already changed that).

MoonWorks
05-30-2009, 12:21 AM
No the 5.2 doesn't have a bleeder port like the 4.7 on the WJ's do (I wish). It's random as hell but I think the gauge has gone bad. Thinking about picking up an aftermarket gauge to read it. I'd expect that there's still some air in the system but I've burped it more than normal.

I did ground out the wiring for the sending unit and my buddy who was in the truck did say it heated up but today when I did it, the gauge stoped at ~130 which it shouldn't have. Which is why I'm thinking the gauge has gone bad.

Any changes to who's coming? What does everyone else have left to do?

slim616
05-30-2009, 12:28 AM
1. cut/ weld/ install tie rod
2. install ram mounts and ram
3 install ram skid
4. weld up fron drive shaft
5. fix front bump stops
6. cut redrill track bar bracket
7. Bleed brakes
8. install rear axle breather
9. install fuel breather
10. install electric fan
11. install electric fan wiring
12. rear bump stops
13. limiting straps
14. gear oil
15. fix grease fitting
16. grease fitting protection
17. grease
18. install OBA stuff
19. Pack up jeep

ATL ZJ
05-30-2009, 01:55 AM
3 install ram skid
5. fix front bump stops
7. Bleed brakes
9. install fuel breather
10. install electric fan
12. rear bump stops
13. limiting straps
14. gear oil
15. fix grease fitting
17. grease
18. install OBA stuff
19. Pack up jeep

Slim, I'm sure you know that translates to 24-48 hours of work. If you have qualified help, maybe a little less. Good luck!

BLK97ZJ
05-30-2009, 11:59 AM
3 install ram skid
5. fix front bump stops
7. Bleed brakes
9. install fuel breather
10. install electric fan
12. rear bump stops
13. limiting straps
14. gear oil
15. fix grease fitting
17. grease
18. install OBA stuff
19. Pack up jeep

Damn dude good luck!!!!!!!!

MoonWorks
05-30-2009, 12:01 PM
I've got about a half dozen small things left to do on my zj. Only things that will tie up any real time is getting my new PSC ram in (old redneck ram leaks) and bleed it out and figure out my temp gauge issue I'm dealing with. I think I'm going to pick up an aftermarket one today at advance/napa and see what it does.

On Shadows ZJ, we've got...

-TNT front and rear crossmembers
-TNT belly pan
-strip rear axle clean, weld in new truss and brackets
-rear TNT long arms
-front TNT long arms
-install arb in front 30
-gear his front hp30
-plumb his brakes out, running hard lines down the LCA's
-align it

We got his TNT frame stiffeners in yesterday. He's going to work on getting the front crossmember and front arms in at his house this weekend. Then we'll be back on it at my place on Monday. With his schedule and it being his DD, time is really an issue. Hopefully we can get it together and he's comfortable with it enough that he'll drive it to GSE.

SirFuego
06-01-2009, 02:52 PM
Looks like the weather should be PERFECT!
http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/USVA0321?from=36hr_fcst10DayLink_undeclared

Ring and Pinion is coming in tomorrow. Shafts are supposedly shipping today, so I surely hope they get here in enough time....

slim616
06-01-2009, 03:06 PM
Slim, I'm sure you know that translates to 24-48 hours of work. If you have qualified help, maybe a little less. Good luck!

thanks man, I put in just shy of 24 hours this weekened and got a good bit done. I'm moving the jeep down to the shop so I can work the next two nights on it with out the neighbors yelling. only prob is that i'm down to one eye now. Turns out I got metal in it yesterday and they had to dig it out this morning. This should make bending new tube fenders kind of interesting:rolleyes:

SirFuego
06-01-2009, 04:01 PM
Did they give you a Pirate hat, too? You still gonna be patched up for GSE?

SB406
06-01-2009, 04:10 PM
When they dug the steel outta my eye they didn't patch it. I just wore shades.

MoonWorks
06-01-2009, 05:15 PM
I noticed over the weekend that one of my lower CA bushings were shot so I ordered a set this afternoon to replace them. So my new bushings and my new PSC ram will both be here on wednesday. I think everything else is pretty much buttoned up.

slim616
06-01-2009, 08:04 PM
Did they give you a Pirate hat, too? You still gonna be patched up for GSE?

No hat just a patch :D Though I should be able to do the shade thing by tomorrow:cool:.

they said my eye should be back to normal in a few days, so I should be good for GSE. If not i'll bring some captain morgan and play the role.

Got a few more things knocked off the list. New tube fenders are bent and ready to be welded along with half the ram skid. Also got the breather for the rear axel drilled, tapped and installed.

zj95maxx
06-01-2009, 08:14 PM
No hat just a patch :D Though I should be able to do the shade thing by tomorrow:cool:.

they said my eye should be back to normal in a few days, so I should be good for GSE. If not i'll bring some captain morgan and play the role.

Got a few more things knocked off the list. New tube fenders are bent and ready to be welded along with half the ram skid. Also got the breather for the rear axel drilled, tapped and installed.
PICS!

MoonWorks
06-03-2009, 07:39 PM
Tick, Tock, times almost up!

Hopefully everyone is wrapping everything up. UPS FINALLY dropped off my new PSC ram and my new LCA bushings about an hour ago. They were loaded on their truck 12 hours ago at their hub which is about 30 mins from my house. Anyway, its all here, dinner has been had so it's back to the garage I go!

I hope to be on the road around noon tomorrow. I think we'll all be in camp 5!

SirFuego
06-03-2009, 08:16 PM
Found a nice big crack on the front spring perch that's getting fixed tonight. R&P is almost ready, too. I'll be on stock shafts though :( Not very happy about that, but I'll just leave it at that...

MoonWorks
06-04-2009, 12:06 AM
I'll be on stock shafts though :( Not very happy about that, but I'll just leave it at that...

That sucks but don't let it ruin your trip. You won't be the only one...that's for sure. I'm sure there will be plenty of popped shafts! :rolleyes:

My new bushings are in and I adjusted the pinion angle and arm lengths a bit while I had them out. I didn't order the hardware with the PSC ram I got b/c I had all the hardware...or so I thought. I need one heim joint and they didn't use a standard shaft size heim so option one is to try and find some type of heim local w/ a 1/2" shank and a 5/8" bore. I might just get a threaded shank and use the other female heim I have. I'll figure it out in the morning and I'm on the way.

MoonWorks
06-04-2009, 09:01 AM
BTW...just got off the phone with the Cove (camp ground we stay at). Tell them you're there for GSE and they'll send you over to camp 5 where we'll be. Obviously, there are a limited number of spots down there so depending on when you get there, the might be full but worst case scenario, you camp in a different spot and just wheel with us.

Of course, if you want to run with a different group or camp in a different area you can. You are not forced to run/camp with the grands if you don't want.

SirFuego
06-04-2009, 11:25 AM
I'll be on stock shafts though :( Not very happy about that, but I'll just leave it at that...

I lied -- at least I hope I did. Gonna get down a bit later than expected today :D:D

SirFuego
06-04-2009, 11:42 AM
Oh FYI, I'll have the following parts in case anyone needs them:

Stock trackbar and bracket
Stock rear driveshaft (off of a 93ZJ 5.2L)
Stock XJ rear driveshaft (not sure what year or if the year even matters)
Two stock front lower control arms
A set of dana 35 shafts with ABS tone rings

They are of no use to me and are taking up room in my garage, so I figured I'd throw them in the back of my truck in case anyone needs a replacement part. I know most everyone here doesnt have any use to them, but maybe some of the stockish ZJs there might.

I'm not sure what camp I'll be in (I know the individual campsites, but not the main site), but I'll be with the WNYO crew.