PDA

View Full Version : Panic!

Ted_Z
05-19-2009, 11:42 AM
Ok, so I'm freaking out that I might not get my ZJ done in time. It's not that what I have left is impossible, just a long list of small tasks. What troubles me is that many of the tasks must be done in a specific order, IE I can't send my drive shafts out to be modified until I done positioning the axles.

The list (mostly for my amusement)

Readjust front arms, set pinion angle
Mount knuckles, rotors, calipers
bleed brakes
fit up exhaust
measure for drive shafts and send them out to be cut/extended
SYE for t-case
cut and readjust rear arms, (involves cutting/welding lowers as axle is too far back due to high clearance brackets.)
Fabricate tie rod
fill t-case and diffs
weld on front sway bar tabs
Weld on rear axle side shock mounts

jsteves
05-19-2009, 12:06 PM
There are local places that can address your driveshaft.

BigDaveZJ
05-19-2009, 12:12 PM
There are local places that can address your driveshaft.

Yup. Front Range Driveline isn't more than 20 minutes from your house Ted and they can usually turn stuff around really fast.

Mtn WJ
05-19-2009, 12:15 PM
I have had several driveshafts done at Front Range in a single day turn around. Drop off in the afternoon and pick up the next afternoon.

I can help you wrench on your Jeep one of these evenings if you like. Let me know.

Ted_Z
05-19-2009, 12:23 PM
I've used front range before and plan to use them again. I'll need to give them my shafts and measurements by 5/26 so I can get them back before the weekend and do a shake down run. All my axle work and arm adjustment needs to be done before that to get acurate measurements. To finish the arms, I"m waiting for the new threaded inserts from Claytons. Everything is sequential, so if one item on the list goofs up, I'm screwed.

BigDaveZJ
05-19-2009, 12:24 PM
If it makes you feel any better Ted, all I have to do is put mine on the trailer. :flipoff2:

Ted_Z
05-19-2009, 12:26 PM
I can help you wrench on your Jeep one of these evenings if you like. Let me know.

That would be awesome. Getting the front axle set just right has proved difficult.

Ted_Z
05-19-2009, 12:28 PM
If it makes you feel any better Ted, all I have to do is put mine on the trailer. :flipoff2:

You're my hero. :prayer:

MrFreeze5
05-19-2009, 12:32 PM
youre list is a lot easier than mine. I need gobs of wedling done, very specific welding, and cant find someone who wont charge me a rediculous amount and cant even get the few shops I talked to to actually return my call and give me a rough quote. Then once I get that done, I get to install it all and do the driveshaft thing. But Im not working against a deadline, Im just bored.

Ted_Z
05-19-2009, 12:39 PM
youre list is a lot easier than mine. I need gobs of wedling done, very specific welding, and cant find someone who wont charge me a rediculous amount and cant even get the few shops I talked to to actually return my call and give me a rough quote. Then once I get that done, I get to install it all and do the driveshaft thing. But Im not working against a deadline, Im just bored.

I'd be happy to help you with your welding after I get my list done. Those 9's under your heep is going to be awesome. Do you have 220V in your garage?

Cody
05-19-2009, 12:42 PM
I cut the back 3 feet off of my ZJ once 5 days before GSW....and redid the entire rear suspension and put an entirely new cage in. You got this.

I still have to swap out coil spring spacers in the rear....that is unless I decide I don't feel like it.

ATL ZJ
05-19-2009, 01:07 PM
I cut the back 3 feet off of my ZJ once 5 days before GSW....and redid the entire rear suspension and put an entirely new cage in. You got this.

No kidding, I think of projects like that and the Phoenix... as well as the freezing night I spent moving an orbital valve and re-engineering my steering system until 4am, the sunrise test drive, and then taking off on a wheeling trip. In times like that, most folks would be jealous of your current position. does that help? :D

MrFreeze5
05-19-2009, 01:18 PM
I'd be happy to help you with your welding after I get my list done. Those 9's under your heep is going to be awesome. Do you have 220V in your garage?

Therein lies the problem! The garage is my buddy's down the street. It only has 110 and the whole garage runs off a single 15amp breaker. It wont handle a big welder. if I currently had a liscence and could leave the friggin house, id be glad to help you out. But Im grounded for anoter week or two. stupid dept of revenue

Z
05-19-2009, 01:19 PM
Bob, the guy who helped me with my WK bumper is very reasonable. You'd have to get your stuff to Boulder and work into his schedule, let me know if you want his contact info.

MrFreeze5
05-19-2009, 01:20 PM
Bob, the guy who helped me with my WK bumper is very reasonable. You'd have to get your stuff to Boulder and work into his schedule, let me know if you want his contact info.

Trango?

ELLLLLIOTTTTT
05-19-2009, 01:36 PM
Let me know if you need a hand. I will be around all week/weekend.

Z
05-19-2009, 01:38 PM
Trango?

Yes.

MrFreeze5
05-19-2009, 01:41 PM
Yes.

Yeah I know Bob, hes done work for me in the past and helped me out in some tight spots. Good guy, but he's usually pretty busy. Im trying to stick a little closer to home if I can for now. Still gotta make a trip up to firestone to get my axleshafts reslpined, and castle rock to pick up my new wheels, to broomfield to get my toolbox. Ive got more driving than work to do :D

CrawlerReady
05-19-2009, 02:36 PM
You got it man :cheer:

All the parts for my 9" come Friday.....I'll post up pics of my progress shortly after :cool:

friscokidd
05-20-2009, 02:39 PM
all i need to do is install another pair of rock lights and maybe cut some more sheet metal :D

BigDaveZJ
05-20-2009, 02:47 PM
all i need to do is send Dave my waiver and install another pair of rock lights and maybe cut some more sheet metal :D

Fixed!! :flipoff2:

friscokidd
05-22-2009, 10:43 AM
Fixed!! :flipoff2:

I already sent you my waiver. Like 2 weeks ago? You still havent gotten them yet?

BigDaveZJ
05-22-2009, 10:51 AM
I already sent you my waiver. Like 2 weeks ago? You still havent gotten them yet?

Just replied to your PM.

Ted_Z
05-26-2009, 12:29 PM
Readjust front arms, set pinion angle DONE
Mount knuckles, rotors, calipers DONE
bleed brakes DONE
fit up exhaust DONE
measure for drive shafts and send them out to be cut/extended DONE
SYE for t-case
cut and readjust rear arms DONE
Fabricate tie rod May not be required
fill t-case and diffs
weld on front sway bar tabs DONE
Weld on rear axle side shock mounts DONE

new items:

Front allignment
add axle vent lines
Fab up new skid plate
adjust parking brake

CrawlerReady
05-26-2009, 01:11 PM
Looks like it was a productive weekend! Nice!

friscokidd
05-26-2009, 01:43 PM
almost done, now get back to work your slacker :D

Ted_Z
05-26-2009, 03:10 PM
I spent all Saturday and Monday under the jeep. By Monday night I was burnt out for sure. At least now I no longer have a hover jeep, just an immobile jeep (waiting on drive shafts).

Fixing the rear arms went easily, despite my hesitation of modifying something that critical. I was able to reuse the treaded inserts (new ones yet to arrive) and I got perfect welds. I got my neighbor who is riding shotgun to lend a hand even though he’s sick. Getting the rear arms adjusted was a breeze with an extra set of hands.

The only "hard" items on my list are finishing the custom SYE (requires machining) and building a new skid plate (lots of cutting/welding).

Cody
05-26-2009, 03:49 PM
You got this. It's all worth it in the end right?