PDA

View Full Version : welding exhaust

Brad S
04-30-2009, 03:10 PM
I need to cut and move my cat converter back about 4 inches to get the downward bend out from above the crossmember area.

Any tips on welding exhaust tubing under the car? I assume cleaning rust off the existing pipe will be needed, but how much of that can be done on thin pipe?

Anyways, if people who weld this stuff regularly have any tips, it would be great to hear them.
Thanks in advance!

rstrucks
04-30-2009, 09:40 PM
You should be able to weld on it w/o too much trouble - assuming the rust is just surface rust. Low heat settings will be your friend. If I were you I'd drop the exhaust as much as you can to get the best possible access to the top side of the tube. A few minutes of labor to do it will save you a lot of frustration trying to seal up the top side (otherwise it can get pretty ugly). I've also used the spot weld method with success on thin stuff that is not considered "structural".

Technohead
05-01-2009, 07:22 AM
It seems you are talking about the pipe in front of the converter. Are you sure it is not stainless? Mine is stainless. I thought they all were. Make sure you have the correct type of gas & wire.

Brad S
05-01-2009, 07:33 AM
Since it has surface rust, how could I tell if it is stainless?

I have a mig welder, but all I am running currently is .035 flux core.

ArloGuthroJeep
05-01-2009, 08:47 AM
Stainless + rust?:D

Probably galvanized steel;)

Technohead
05-01-2009, 06:18 PM
Stainless + rust?:D

Probably galvanized steel;)Either that or its not rust. Grind it a little bit. If the dust is not red then its not rust.

Brad S
05-01-2009, 08:29 PM
lol, duh, I'm an idiot :D