PDA

View Full Version : Kinda strange electrical issue

MrFreeze5
04-27-2009, 02:49 PM
About a year and a half ago my jeep started acting really wierd. It would start and idle just fine, but when I would pull out to leave, Id make it about a block, stop at a stop sign. As soon as I pressed the gas, it would splutter and try to die. Id rev it up a bit and power brake at the next light, then I got on the highway and it was fine. It did this for a few weeks until one da it started doing it every time I stopped and not want to start again. I would have to powerbrake and rev to 2k+ rpms otherwise it would splutter and die. then I would try to restart and it would crank and crank and crank, and i could slightly smell gas and eventually it would fire up. After it died in the middle of an intersection, I pulled it int he back yard, said F U! and drove the company van for the next year and a half.

As it turns out, my less than a year old optima yellow top had taken a shit and that was the primary culprit. I hooked my jeep up to my buddies battery and the thing fired first try after sitting for so long. Then we jumpered the truck with my battery back in it and I kept it running for a while to charge it. As soon as I let of the gas, the truck died. You could watch the voltage drop on the meter about .1v every second. The battery did not hold any charge and was completely dead in 2-3 minutes. So about a month ago, I bought a new red top. Ill never buy a yellow top again, plus the warranty sucks. Truck fired right up and ran like a champ. No problems whatsoever. Ive noticed, though, maybe 3 or 4 times, after I start the truck my VIC resets like the battery was unhooked. It fires up just fine, no noticeable load on the system. And lately, over the last week or so, when I first put it in gear and start to drive off, it stumbles for a second, then runs fine.

Then on top of that, it has diesled twice in the last week. The engien would splutter a little after I shut the truck off. And last night, I started it, got one good crank<pause>... ...crank...start! Like there was a major load on it. Voltage looks good, alternator is within spec. Code scan came up clean. Ive never had it diesel on my before in the 7 years Ive owned it. Any ideas?

Oh yeah, also checked fuel pressure ok, fuel filter has less than 100 miles on it, and Ive run injector cleaner through it as well as cleaned the throttle body, air tube, and K&N filter recently, along with new plugs, wires, cap, and rotor. I did a full tune up and oil change before firing the thing back up after it sat so long.

rstrucks
04-27-2009, 03:16 PM
Sounds like a bad connection or a voltage drop somewhere. What kind of conditon are your battery cables in? What about the rest of the wiring? Corrosion on terminal ends can be a PITA to diagnose because the problem can come and go.

MrFreeze5
04-27-2009, 03:29 PM
Sounds like a bad connection or a voltage drop somewhere. What kind of conditon are your battery cables in? What about the rest of the wiring? Corrosion on terminal ends can be a PITA to diagnose because the problem can come and go.

Battery cables are brand new 0g wire and new terminals. I relocated the battery to the back. i also replaced all the major electrical wires between the battery, starter, and ground due to corrosion. So essentially, everything between the battery and the engine wiring harness is new. engine ground strap is new too.

SirFuego
04-27-2009, 03:30 PM
I don't know if the solution will be the same (since there are so many variables to "check" when it comes to electrical stuff), but I had a similar issue with my 93 5.2L. Ended up being the PCM.

First problem I had sounds very similar to your sputtering issue. It ended up stalling out on me, but the problem was a blown ASD relay. After that was fixed, the next day my Optima Red was overcharged and started steaming on the trails. After getting it back home and getting my battery warranted, I still couldn't start the Jeep. I narrowed it down to the fuel pump not getting any voltage. Problem ended up being the PCM since she fired right up and has run fine ever since.

Like I said, though, there are a ton of other variables that can come into play, so keep in mind that my experience may or may not be applicable to your situation.

MrFreeze5
04-28-2009, 12:39 AM
Its getting worse. Still not nearly as bad as it was last year. The last few days it would splutter the first time I pressed the gas to drive away, then it was happy again. Today, 2 pumps of the gas and it spluttered, and the rpms dropped at the next stop, but it didnt stall. Its wierd. before I parked it it got progressively worse until it screwed me. Its been running fine for a month, why would it just start doing this again now?

I have noticed that at idle, the engine makes 2 distinctly different sounds. The rpms dont really change though. That the IAC, right? i dont think this is related though. Its done that for years.