PDA

View Full Version : Roof mounted spare tires and roof mounted lights...

BigClay
04-17-2009, 03:48 PM
Just looking for opinions on roof mounted spare tires and roof mounted lights. My delima is I am running out of room in the back of ZJ when I go wheeling, and I want to get the spare tire out of there. I don't have enough money for a rear bumper that has a spare tire mount, so I am looking at KOR's roof mounted spare tire rack.

Also I need some more light power, so I am thinking about also getting KOR's roof mounted light bar (I know he has one for the front, but I don't think it will fit with my current front bumper).

So what are your thoughts on these?

jsteves
04-17-2009, 03:54 PM
Pain in the ass to reach, raises the COG and looks dumb.

ZJones
04-17-2009, 04:04 PM

Couldn't have said it better.

BigDaveZJ
04-17-2009, 04:08 PM
How much crap are you bringing with you that you're running out of room?? I bring way more than I need and I can fit all my tools and gear into one Action Packer box and a basic tool bag.

Cody
04-17-2009, 04:12 PM
I packed for 6 days in the Maze (including 10 gallons of fuel and 10 gallons of water) with my 35" spare in the back as well. I still had some room.

Granted, my back seats were down. I'm sure if you needed to use your back seats it would get pretty tight back there. I typically run with just one side down unless I need a ton of room.

But, no tire on the roof. Looks dumb, higher COG to an already top heavy vehicle, and will kill your mileage.

MrFreeze5
04-17-2009, 04:27 PM
I wont put my tire on top, but I did turn my stock roof rack bar into a light bar. Ive got a Yakima system that i use to hold stuff occasionally so i didnt need the stock rack. I monted 2 small autozone fog lights to it that I already had and it worked great. didnt cost a thing.

oh yeah, mine are set up as backup lights looking behind me, but I have been considering adding some for the front as well. It would be the same process.

fpkites
04-17-2009, 04:31 PM
I have no desire whatsoever to wrestle my spare up and down from the roof. Lights are fine though.

Ted_Z
04-17-2009, 04:48 PM
Light bar = teh ghey.

How many people do serious of road driving after dark? And even if you do night runs you need rock lights not 500 watts of lights aiming 200ft down the trail.

BigClay
04-17-2009, 04:49 PM
How much crap are you bringing with you that you're running out of room?? I bring way more than I need and I can fit all my tools and gear into one Action Packer box and a basic tool bag.

I usually have three friends with me, so the only place for our junk is in the very back. It all fits for now but I am looking for a little extra room and exploring options.

zj95maxx
04-17-2009, 05:12 PM

your saying this looks dumb!?
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b37/chewning37/gggggg.jpg
:flipoff2::flipoff2:

BigDaveZJ
04-17-2009, 05:23 PM
At least you weren't rocking the Altezzas! And it looks like you aren't wearing that dopey hat you've always got on, so points for that too, lol.

jsteves
04-17-2009, 05:40 PM

Yep. :finga:

Cody
04-17-2009, 06:16 PM
Light bar = teh ghey.

How many people do serious of road driving after dark? And even if you do night runs you need rock lights not 500 watts of lights aiming 200ft down the trail.

I do. I leave town late sometimes to head into the desert and the headlights just aren't enough. Also, when I do winter runs it gets dark by like 5:30 and that just isn't enough time to cover the ground you might need to in a day.

I run a set of those 155 watt KC Daylighters with the stupid sealed beam bulb. They're bright, but I hate not being able to pick up a new bulb at the corner autoparts store.

But my lights are on my front bumper. As long as your roof lights are for a purpose, and not just to put some Autozone lights up there to look cool, then I have no problem with them.

zj95maxx
04-17-2009, 06:25 PM
its actually cooler to put the tire up there with no rack
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b37/chewning37/offoroading063.jpg

fpkites
04-17-2009, 09:14 PM
Only if you have altezzas :flipoff2:

I've got 2 wally-world el-cheapo lights on my KOR light bar. They come in really handy when I'm on the really dark back roads on our way to Callaway NE once a year. Also helps with setting up camp.

Can't beat 20 bucks too :D

SirFuego
04-18-2009, 11:31 AM
On the east coast, I personally don't see much benefit of roof mounted lights unless:
1) You wheel alone or usually lead a group at night
2) You wheel in a lot of open areas at night (which are usually farms).

Why?
1) Trails are usually cut through the woods, so there is only so much benefit in being able to see a mile in front of you. The area immediately around and under you is better to be lit up (rock lights)
2) You blind anyone in front of you with super bright lights.
3) Branches and downed trees overhang the trails -- increasing the risk of damaging your lights.

As for the spare on the roof -- I would reassess what you carry before going that route. You might find you can cut back on some of the stuff you carry. Now if you need your back seat when wheeling -- I could see storage being a problem.

BigDaveZJ
04-18-2009, 12:38 PM
There's a lifted Super Duty plowing the lot across the street from my store right now, with the tire on the roof. It'd be a big enough PITA to get a tire up/down from the roof of a stock or mildly lifted ZJ, can't even imagine it on a lifted Super Duty!!

ajmorell
04-18-2009, 01:18 PM
I agree with everyone that it looks dumb and raises the CG but if it was a matter of spare tire on the roof or no spare I'd put it up there.

grnd93
04-18-2009, 09:32 PM
FWIW, I have the KOR rack on my ZJ. Ran with my spare up there for quite some time. Wasn't too bad getting it down when I needed it. I have it in the back right now, but next time I have to take my 2 Huskies along for the ride it will be on the roof again. As for the lights. I'm planning to add some at some point.

Mochisme
04-18-2009, 09:56 PM
I guess I will just have to say I am old and feeble. I thought about putting the spare on the roof, but quickly changed my mind after busting a rim out on the trail and needing to change the tire.

Manhandling a 35 BFG M/T KM2 out of the back and putting the dead one back in was all it took. That took all though of a spare on the roof out of my mind forever. I also agree with Cody about putting all that weight up high and screwing with the already high COG, do not need that either.

cLAYH
04-26-2009, 12:42 PM
I ran with my spare on the roof on my old XJ. It was a 33". I had no problem getting it up and down. I just crawled onto the roof and used one of the straps for holding it down it lower it. I also had it right down on the rail to keep the profile as low as possible.

Now I'm running 37" and I'm not sure what I want to do. I don't want it out back as I've seen people come off ledges, land on their spare and push it thru the rear window. Plus it blocks your view out back.

Inside isn't an option as I have 2 kids and 2 dogs(which is why I wheel a ZJ).

I think in hte end it will end up out back but I'm not thrilled about it.

Oh and in the 5 years I had my spare on the roof I only needed it 3 times. For a smaller tire(under 33) I'd rather fight with it occasionally then have to move it everytime I want into the rear hatch.

frumpy
04-27-2009, 02:33 PM
Why not just run bead locks with some sort of on board air set up? I had a spare for my YJ but it stayed in my truck at the trail head. Brought lots of tire plugs and co2.

SirFuego
04-27-2009, 02:46 PM
I'm sure I'm not the only one, but I'm the only person I know that has run beadlocks with 31" tires -- and I did that because I came across a damn good deal on beadlocks I couldn't pass up. For tires below 36, I'd say it's pretty common for folks to run without beadlocks.

Also, beadlocks and tire patches don't help much when the tire gets a fist-sized hole in it -- which is probably less likely with bigger tires, but definite a valid concern for smaller tires.

Hell, I've seen a 42" tire on beadlocks lose it's bead and finish off a day of wheeling for a certain ZJ buggy owner. He had his spare back at camp, but his wheeling was done for the day because of it. But when we are talking tires that size, you usually don't expect that to happen.

BigClay
04-27-2009, 03:08 PM
Why not just run bead locks with some sort of on board air set up? I had a spare for my YJ but it stayed in my truck at the trail head. Brought lots of tire plugs and co2.

Spare tire is much friendlier on the wallet considering I already have a spare...

Cody
04-27-2009, 03:49 PM

Because not all tire damage can be repaired.

black_zj
04-27-2009, 04:03 PM
I'm sure I'm not the only one, but I'm the only person I know that has run beadlocks with 31" tires -- and I did that because I came across a damn good deal on beadlocks I couldn't pass up. For tires below 36, I'd say it's pretty common for folks to run without beadlocks.

Also, beadlocks and tire patches don't help much when the tire gets a fist-sized hole in it -- which is probably less likely with bigger tires, but definite a valid concern for smaller tires.

Hell, I've seen a 42" tire on beadlocks lose it's bead and finish off a day of wheeling for a certain ZJ buggy owner. He had his spare back at camp, but his wheeling was done for the day because of it. But when we are talking tires that size, you usually don't expect that to happen.

I would think the opposite, a larger tire has more exposed sidewall, thus increasing its chances of damage.

frumpy
04-27-2009, 04:06 PM
but most can. I have seen some extremely bad tires repaired and as I mentioned my spare is in my truck so if its something catastrophic it can be retrieved. If I am going on a trail that is extremely high risk, or extremely long I will take the tire with me though.

SirFuego
04-27-2009, 05:09 PM
I would think the opposite, a larger tire has more exposed sidewall, thus increasing its chances of damage.
...and they are usually run at a lower pressure. However, bigger tires usually have a much thicker and stronger sidewall. Which, in some instances (SXs come to mind), might make it a "good" risk to not bring a spare on the trails to reduce weight. But, I think the crux of this discussion is for tires not normally dubbed as being "indestructable".

Irregardless (:finga:), like Cody said, tires aren't always repairable, so that's the motivation for bringing a spare on the trails.

OverkillZJ
04-27-2009, 05:16 PM

Because you don't want to be the asshole that left their spare at camp (Never again...) Thanks to those that helped me go back with a spare 42 later!

Kraqa
04-27-2009, 06:22 PM
i've blow a tire a few times it sucks.

the times when i didn't trailer my buggy around i woudl always kep a spare.

with the type of wheelign i do the towrig and trailer are always close by. i care enough tools to fix just abotu anything and i keep a spare tire.

I agree with the light on the roof but i woudl always try to mount my lights in the front bumper if i can.

Cody
04-27-2009, 06:50 PM
I'm like Kris, when I had a tow rig and trailer, I never brought a spare with me. I had a good plug kit and access to air.

Now that I don't have a trailer, I keep my spare tire in the back. It fits nicely in the stock location.

Kraqa
04-27-2009, 06:55 PM
ya you get used to the tow rig.

when we take Kelseys tracker out i carry minimal tools, no spare. we play it relatively safe. But that doesn't mean its right.

BigClay
04-27-2009, 07:42 PM
LOL, thanks for all the opinions. :prayer: I have decided to get a KOR bumper mounted light bar, and throw the tire in the back when there is room, but if I go wheeling with three other guys in my heep and all of our crap in the back... the spare is still going on the roof for now :flipoff2:

OverkillZJ
04-27-2009, 08:46 PM
I started carrying the tow rigs 31" spair instead of the buggys 42" spare, even if the tow rig is close by I hate holding people up, and can limt out on the tiny tire.

grnd93
04-27-2009, 10:22 PM
LOL, thanks for all the opinions. :prayer: I have decided to get a KOR bumper mounted light bar, and throw the tire in the back when there is room, but if I go wheeling with three other guys in my heep and all of our crap in the back... the spare is still going on the roof for now :flipoff2:

Probably the best choice. My spare stays in the back, unless I need the space.

ntaousakis
04-29-2009, 09:41 AM
I have mine ontop. not to hard to get up and down for me....with 33's i dont notice must MPG loss either

Bajad
04-29-2009, 11:47 PM
To each his own...when I go down to Baja for several weeks camping on the beaches (by myself sometimes) and 50 miles from anyone...these are quite handy to store a lot of stuff (Easy-ups, tents, chairs, etc) and I also like sleeping in the truck so they work great to get rid of the spare.

Who cares what other think...it is what you want or need, not a fashion show.

Flame-on!

Baja-D ;)

DUBYA J
07-04-2009, 08:02 PM
we do a ton of camping/fishing trips and the roof mount lights are a great improvement when your doing some late night drinking/fishing/setting up camp. i say go for it :)

faststang1
07-16-2009, 05:48 PM
I say get a rear bumper w/carrier for ur tire and mount some lights on a light bar and call it good!!!

PassRunnerZJ
07-17-2009, 10:53 PM
I built my bumper to keep the spare off the top especially since we were tight with 4 and camping gear. But, I am concidering carrying a second spare on a couple of long trips I'm working on. Basically, when I had a two wheel drive truck I tore the sidewall on a tire coming up a long rocky hill, then tore a valve stem getting too close to a tree and without two spares, I would have been walking for probably 10 miles in the desert!

Now I have more experiance with patching tires and setting beads, but still having two know goods gives me a better piece of mind.

Hopefully though, I can put my second spare in the ZJ where the stock one goes and fold a seat down. I'm sure it will kill my fuel mileage too.