PDA

View Full Version : Harbor Freight Tube Roller

BigDaveZJ
04-13-2009, 08:09 PM
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=99736

After hearing about it on CO4x4 and then reading this review on PBB: http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=737981 I went ahead and picked one up today. They had it on sale for $149, and then with a 20% off coupon, think it was $125 with tax.

Swag from PBB is making some 1.75" dies for it too, and those should be available soon hopefully. I will be picking up a set of dies as soon as I can, as I'm hoping to get this tube work done by GSW.

Basically the advantage of this unit over, say a JD2, is the control over the radius. With a regular bender, your radius is determined by the die. With the roller, it is determined by how many passes through the unit and at what pressure you have the drive wheel set to. This should really allow me to get the tube to conform to the lines on my ZJ as I try to redo the back end of the rig. There are really 5 areas where a roller will work for me better than a bender. And 4 where the bender will work better, so both will be utilized for the current project and everything will get slugged together.

Anyways, looking forward to using this thing. Should come in handy for a few things. As soon as the 1.75" dies are available and I get some tube bent, I'll post up pics.

CrawlerReady
04-13-2009, 08:15 PM
That looks like it'll be fun to use to bend some 1.75" .120 wall DOM tubing.....haha

paulkeith
04-13-2009, 08:22 PM
i was gonna say, is this thing gonna have the sack to bend anything bigger than conduit?

also, wouldn't there have to be adjustability in the location of the non-driven wheels to ensure you don't crush tubing?

edit, or i could just read the pirate review...

OverkillZJ
04-13-2009, 08:22 PM
You would be nuttier than squirrel shit to think of bending this same size tube in DOM.

It worked but you if you were to build a complete cage doing this manually you my friend could beat Popeye in an arm wrestling contest.

Also note its crushing his tube 1/4" even on a large radius... I think this would compliment a tubing bender, not replace it.

BigDaveZJ
04-13-2009, 08:29 PM
Matt, I believe when it crushed it 1/4" he was not using the proper die for the tube size, hence him getting some 1.75" dies custom made.

And I'll just be using HREW for this current project, so there shouldn't be an issue. Swag and a guy from CO4x4 have both bent quite a bit of HREW with theirs and they have been holding up well.

auggeren911
04-13-2009, 10:44 PM
This was made for emc(electrical metal conduit). Can't tell you how many tech calls I took on this before I quit. Basicly everyone tried to get it to bend tubing, but the die's only work on conduit. Good luck on this one.

BigDaveZJ
04-13-2009, 11:06 PM
Well the dies that came with it worked well enough to do this on both sides. And that's way more work than I need it to accomplish.
http://mail.candsfab.com/candsfab/guapotaco/exocage018.jpg

MoonWorks
04-13-2009, 11:31 PM
Well the dies that came with it worked well enough to do this on both sides. And that's way more work than I need it to accomplish.

I really like the lines on the yota exo. Very different lines...just flows nice.

auggeren911
04-14-2009, 10:40 PM
I can't beleave that roller did that exo cage. I guess pics I had gotton from customers wile I worked there just were people that did not take their time our set it up right. I was told by our "engineers" that it would only do conduit. I never used it just the old trusty hft kinker we have all come to love. Hell I might go get one if it actually did that cage!

bucko
09-27-2009, 09:39 AM
wow that roller dosnt look like it is big enough to do things like that till you see what it has done on that truck man you can do some real fancy s*** with that thing:best:

FortCollinsZJ
09-27-2009, 11:59 AM
ANOTHER RETARDED BUMP!?!?! Come on Bucko.

Dave, if you never got around to doing this and still want to, my bender is easily transportable if you want me to to bring it down to denver sometime, I need to get a 1.75 die soon though, I only have 1.5 for now.

BigDaveZJ
09-27-2009, 12:14 PM
I might take you up on that Neil. I've been looking at the GotTrikes bender a bit recently too.

FortCollinsZJ
09-27-2009, 12:17 PM
I really like mine, works just how I want it to. Just let me know dave, I have fridays and saturdays off.