PDA

View Full Version : spray on bed liner??

jborushko
03-25-2009, 04:38 PM
what kind of bed liner??

EDIT: duplicolor has been ruled out!

has any one used the duplicolor truck bed liner?

the aerosol cans?

any good?
http://www.duplicolor.com/products/truckbed.html

i was gonna paint some parts on the zj with it and was thinking about doing my motor cycle frame with it.

thanks guys

SirFuego
03-25-2009, 04:43 PM
You get what you pay for.

My buddy did the bed of his beater truck with that. It looked fine, but was moreso rough black paint than it was bedliner -- a little too smooth for what I think bedliner should be. It didn't really stick too well because it was starting to chip in places, but perhaps it was his prep job.

ATL ZJ
03-25-2009, 05:04 PM
I used it about 6 years ago on my surco roof rack :smt037 and it chipped like crazy. Would not buy it again.

zj95maxx
03-25-2009, 05:31 PM
I got it for christmas when I wanted herculiner...needless to say I returned the dupli color. I still need to get the herculiner though....

rstrucks
03-25-2009, 05:37 PM
Like SF said - it's more of a rough textured paint than it is real bedliner. I have used it on a bunch of different stuff and it has held up well. A lot depends on how you prep the surface. Make sure it is clean and that it has something stick to. (scuff the surface)

I like to use it as undercoating. It actually dries unlike a lot of the undercoatings out there.

paulkeith
03-25-2009, 06:14 PM
it depends heavily on surface prep. I painted the tub of my CJ with the roll on variety and had problems with it sticking.

I've found if you paint something with the aerosol can and hold the can at like 18-24" away from the surface, you'll actually get a very nice very rough textured surface out of it. Granted the shit will go everywhere, but I painted the shifter bezel on my CJ like that and it turned out awesome.

Also painted a sub box and sail panel tweeter mounts with it, but neither of those see any abuse/testing of the finish.

BLK97ZJ
03-25-2009, 07:45 PM
Its a really shitty bed liner but a really tough paint.

jborushko
03-25-2009, 10:04 PM
cool cool... i've used herculiner before but did it on plastic it ended up starting to peel off, and it DRIED hard after a while and lost its shine.

i talked to the rhino-line people in seattle, they wanted $1000 to paint my motorcycle frame.. and i said *cough* fuck you!

Line-X rough estimated me $3-400

i did find a neat kit with a gun and other crap online,for $180. i might get that, im at work and dont remeber the name of it...

other than the bike frame i want to do the interior of the jeep - i ripped out all the carpet

ATL ZJ
03-25-2009, 10:06 PM
it depends heavily on surface prep. I painted the tub of my CJ with the roll on variety and had problems with it sticking.

I've found if you paint something with the aerosol can and hold the can at like 18-24" away from the surface, you'll actually get a very nice very rough textured surface out of it. Granted the shit will go everywhere, but I painted the shifter bezel on my CJ like that and it turned out awesome.

Also painted a sub box and sail panel tweeter mounts with it, but neither of those see any abuse/testing of the finish.

maybe that was my problem. I tried sanding the aluminum rack to rough it up, but it didn't help much. I think I resprayed the rack 3 times total after it chipped off.

Would you recommend a self-etching primer? I have used that with awesome success to prep for herculiner.

paulkeith
03-25-2009, 10:54 PM
When I did the CJ tub, I sanded, pressurewashed, scrubbed with the backside of a sponge with simplegreen, hosed out, dried, sanded, wiped with acetone, and the shit still peeled up in a couple of the nookes and crannies in the floorboard. Granted I also didn't leave much time for it to dry before I was putting the seats, belts, etc back in.

Long story short, I'd give the aerosol variety medium rep and the roll on kind low rep. It seems like the aerosol has a little more 'stick' to it. I'd also agree that it makes kickass textured paint, but not much of a bedliner in the line-x sense.

I've actually never used self etching primer. I hear its the shit though.

LouisianaZJ
03-25-2009, 11:12 PM
the duplicolor stuff sucks, it chipped and peeled in no time for me. Herculiner on the other had has held up great with the same amount of prep, I roll it on or use an undercoating gun.

jborushko
03-26-2009, 03:18 AM
it was raptor that i was thinking this is a hole one gallon kit for a hundred bones
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Raptor-SPRAY-IN-BLACK-TRUCK-BED-LINER-Urethane-2K-Kit_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ72Q3a1171Q7c66Q3a2 Q7c65Q3a12Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1318Q7c301Q3a1Q7c293Q3 a1Q7c294Q3a50QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem 200321281722QQitemZ200321281722QQptZMotorsQ5fAutom otiveQ5fTools

anyone use that?
i might give the hurculiner another shot though, but im looking for more options

jsteves
03-26-2009, 12:41 PM
Herculiner is great on metal but shit on plastic - like the bumper facias or cladding.

jborushko
03-26-2009, 02:31 PM
but a good etching primer eh? will rock that shit!

JordanA
03-26-2009, 05:30 PM
I used the duplicolor stuff with great success on the roof of the ZJ when it began to get surface rust from tools and crap being on the roof rack and falling. I prepped the living hell out of it and it didn't chip or anything for the following 4 years, until I sold that one.

I used Herculiner on the side panels and bumpers though, because I knew they'd get more abuse. It turned out well, but I don't think the duplicolor would have. It's true... it's just textured paint.

You can however add a texturing agent to the bed liner, such as sand. I've done this before and it really roughens up the texture quite a bit.

haymaker
03-27-2009, 01:35 AM
The duplicolor is garbage compared to herculiner. I know that from personal experience. I used herculiner on the sides of my heep and its been holding up good. I wish I put another coat or 2 on but it has barely been effected after a year of horrible things happening to the finish. I plan on putting on more coats this summer tho but then I doubt I'll ever have a problem after that.

It won't stick to your bumpers very well though, thats for sure. If your worried about it not sticking to your cladding....well take that ugly shit off!

And I can't stress enough...do good prep work!!

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p255/juggy426/Picture153.jpg

dp96zj
04-02-2009, 09:21 PM
I have some tail light guards that I herculinered, as well as a friend's fenders on his durango. I wasn't a big fan of the shiny-ness, but it's dulled down now and looks more like rhino liner (which I like better). B/c of that, I'm gonna look at herculiner-ing the cladding area. Not to mention it's durable as hell.

gonzoman
04-10-2009, 05:20 PM
Dupli color has very little UV resistance for the Southern climates.

haymaker
04-18-2009, 02:16 AM
Dupli color has very little UV resistance for the Southern climates.

The duplicolor is garbage. Nobody should use it for an application like this. I could see it being decent for some things, such as perhaps a no slip surface or like a coating on rollbar tube, but nothing where it will take actual abuse. Get the good stuff.