PDA

View Full Version : What do I need to know about '01 Excursion?

BigClay
03-25-2009, 09:09 AM
I am looking at trading in the Tahoe for a 2001 Limited Excursion. It has the 7.3 Powerstroke with only 61k on the clock. This will be the first diesel I will have ever owned, so before I buy, what do I need to know? What do I need to look out for?

OverkillZJ
03-25-2009, 11:12 AM
I think the transmission is the downside... I've been looking for a 7.3 excursion with that little on the clock myself, no luck yet.

BigClay
03-25-2009, 11:25 AM
Yeah I heard in the ealry part of '01 they put a diode in the tranny, and soon realized that it was a POS and stopped doing that. I am hoping the diode in this one has already been replaced.

BigDaveZJ
03-25-2009, 11:51 AM
My original 4R100 lasted until about 135k or so. Diode or not the 4R100 is still not the most reliable unit out there.

There's some little stuff that will go wrong with it, but nothing too extremely bad. The door lock actuators will shit the bed if they haven't already. CPS recall. The UVCH (under valve cover harness) will loosen up at some point, but its not a bad fix. And then the tranny. I put a BTS tranny in mine, NOT cheap, but a very worthwhile upgrade.

paulkeith
03-25-2009, 12:20 PM
As dave said, CPS, UVCH, I'd add the turbo pedestal o-rings, high pressure oil pump (hpop) orings (look for oil in the intake valley for both of these, or what looks like a rear main seal leak), both the excursion and 250/350 are easy to break into, the unit bearings on the front axle are absolute garbage and can fail pretty much any time, the slushbox is garbage, if it has ESOP 4x4, the hubs can stop working if the vacuum actuator lines crack/leak, etc.

Any specific questions let me know and I'll try to help you out.

BigClay
03-25-2009, 01:38 PM
Thanks for the info guys. One other question; I didn't see a plug in in the front, so 1) how cold does it have to be before you plug it in 2) if I don't see a plug in the grill where else might it be?

paulkeith
03-25-2009, 01:44 PM
I didn't know mine had the block heater for almost the whole first year i owned it. You can go looking around behind the bumper, also look above the oil filter to see if you see the wire running away up to the bumper.

I've had no issues since owning it as far as starting in cold weather, probably down into the low teens without plugging it in. Just make sure you've got good batteries and good glow plugs and you should be fine in NC.

BigDaveZJ
03-25-2009, 03:31 PM
It's kind of a pita to find the block heater the first time. I don't plug mine in unless its going to be < 15* overnight, and even then I forget most of the time. If it's gonna be < 0, certainly plug it in.

BigClay
03-25-2009, 04:08 PM
I ithnk I will be goo then because if it is < 0 here, I am going to stay in the house, because it must be a frekaing blizard outside! :D

Mike-WJ
03-25-2009, 04:51 PM
http://www.thedieselstop.com/

real good ford diesel forum

violatedppl
03-29-2009, 12:06 PM
it doesnt take to much to grenade those munual locking front hubs either.