PDA

View Full Version : Tow strap shortening/ repair?

ATL ZJ
03-06-2009, 05:04 PM
I've been carrying a 50 foot strap (two straps looped and knotted together). 50 feet is too long and hard to keep organized, so I cut them apart. Now I have one good strap and one "destroyed" strap. I want to make 3 tree saver straps out of the "destroyed" strap, keep one, and give 2 to friends. No sense in throwing good strap material away.

My question is, how can I get stitch/sew/mend the strap back together? I have one good loop left on the strap, so I need to make 1-5 more. I have tied knots in other broken straps successfully, but I'd rather not have a bunch of bulky knots if I can avoid it. Ideas?

froggo27
03-06-2009, 05:06 PM
you can melt it together.

ATL ZJ
03-06-2009, 05:15 PM
really? How strong can that be? remember I'm going to bounce around on the end of a winch line with this.

BigClay
03-06-2009, 05:15 PM
you can melt it together.

Would the melted area be strong enough to hold up as a tree saver?

indy242003
03-06-2009, 05:18 PM
I would like to know the answer to this too. I have a ton of damaged tow straps. I always pick them up from friends that have busted them thinking I could figure out how to make them work, just have not. Subscribed. :smt024

jborushko
03-06-2009, 05:23 PM
umm... i would NOT go with the melting idea... the strength of rope and straps comes from the braid and the number of strands.

i would have is sewn up. but dont do it lightly. you want to double or triple every stitch, over lap the two pieces your going to sew together about 6in. sew a box inside the strap the criss-cross the inside of the box... ill get a picture up very shortly in this reply

and use a synthtic string like a heavy nilon, it doesnt have to be super thick just strong.

but melt the ends of the straps to keep them from fraying BUT DONT MELT THEM TOGETHER and think that will hold

and since your making tree savers out of them ill make another picture for that.

EDIT: this can be done by hand, but i would suggest either having them done professionally, or finding a industrial sewing machine or leather machine and doing it yourself.

http://i714.photobucket.com/albums/ww141/once_with_words/strapstiching.jpg?t=1236375291

http://i714.photobucket.com/albums/ww141/once_with_words/treesaverstap.jpg?t=1236375966

rccolacc
03-06-2009, 05:38 PM
Do you think an upholstery shop could do something like that? I figure you'd need a good, heavy-duty sewing machine to get through material like the strap has. There's gotta be a place in Atlanta that does stuff like this.
Good luck.
-RC

jborushko
03-06-2009, 05:57 PM
Do you think an upholstery shop could do something like that? I figure you'd need a good, heavy-duty sewing machine to get through material like the strap has. There's gotta be a place in Atlanta that does stuff like this.
Good luck.
-RC

i would defiantly start with an upholstery shop! they would be a great resource

IndyZJ
03-06-2009, 05:58 PM
A good upholstery shop should have a machine that can duplicate the stitching on a strap.

I might have to give this a shot. My dad picked up an old industrial sewing machine a couple years ago. The thing will go through 3/4" of leather no problem, so it might be able to go through a couple layers of tow strap...

I'd think melting the material together would weaken it too much, otherwise manufacturers would probably do it that way instead of stitching in the first place.

paulkeith
03-07-2009, 12:18 AM
sew em together in the pattern suggested...upholstery shop, or a sail shop. plenty of sail shops on the coast, not sure around here though.

froggo27
03-07-2009, 02:26 AM
It sounded good to me :D. Pay someone to sew it back together for the price of a new one. :smt101 I see these straps break weekly at work and i wouln't try to put them back together.

ATL ZJ
03-07-2009, 02:39 AM
It sounded good to me :D. Pay someone to sew it back together for the price of a new one. :smt101 I see these straps break weekly at work and i wouln't try to put them back together.

So you told me to melt them together? Way to go dude. Now I'm willing to pay double the cost of a new one just in spite of your wastefulness.

jborushko
03-07-2009, 06:17 AM

maybe its time to invest in some stronger straps???? like some 10k... just a thought

OverkillZJ
03-07-2009, 12:24 PM
10k can break.

I'd be hesitant trying to do this, if one of those tree savers breaks things tend to fly.

jborushko
03-07-2009, 12:57 PM
well every thing can break eventually... i use air drop cargo parachute webbing -> strong shit

nate
03-07-2009, 01:05 PM
Rigging shop can repair it, though probably cheaper just to buy a new one the correct length/application you need.