PDA

View Full Version : Dual batteries.

albersondh
03-01-2009, 11:29 PM
Who is running what, how is wired up, how do you like it. I just finished mine and it worked out great. I’m using a solenoid and a dpdt switch. My three switch positions are ignition on = batteries connected. Position 2 main battery only (solenoid off). Position 3 full time both batteries connected. I’m running a red top and a purple haze DC. Next comes the tunes, inverter, OBA, CB, and finally I can throw my winch on.:

http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18938

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s150/albersondh/DSC04376.jpg

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s150/albersondh/Dualbatteryrevised.jpg

greengc4x4
03-02-2009, 01:56 AM
Dumb question, in what situations will you use position 3? Also, what are the benifits of running a dual battery setup?

albersondh
03-02-2009, 06:14 PM
Dumb question, in what situations will you use position 3? Also, what are the benifits of running a dual battery setup?

If for some reason there was not enough current left in the primary battery to trigger the ign-on position, I would default to this setting and draw current from the aux battery to trigger the solenoid and connect both batteries. This would give me the starting capacity of the aux battery to overcome the deficient primary battery. I see I have an error in my shizmatic where Im showing position 3 as being powered by the primary side. Switch position 3 should be getting power from the aux battery.

When running lots of externally powered crap, 12VDC or 110AC via a power inverter, it is beneficial to run a stand alone battery that powers these items without interfering with your primary starting battery. The idea is that most of the externally powered junk will be used with the key off, and will only draw from the aux battery. There is also a huge benefit when running and using high current drawing devices like winches. Having double the amp capacity on-tap eases the load on the alternator and will provide much better performance. Example, as soon as I finished this job I immediately noticed that all my running lights were brighter, and the heater blower seemed to blow a bit harder as well.

greengc4x4
03-03-2009, 02:29 AM
If for some reason there was not enough current left in the primary battery to trigger the ign-on position, I would default to this setting and draw current from the aux battery to trigger the solenoid and connect both batteries. This would give me the starting capacity of the aux battery to overcome the deficient primary battery. I see I have an error in my shizmatic where Im showing position 3 as being powered by the primary side. Switch position 3 should be getting power from the aux battery.

When running lots of externally powered crap, 12VDC or 110AC via a power inverter, it is beneficial to run a stand alone battery that powers these items without interfering with your primary starting battery. The idea is that most of the externally powered junk will be used with the key off, and will only draw from the aux battery. There is also a huge benefit when running and using high current drawing devices like winches. Having double the amp capacity on-tap eases the load on the alternator and will provide much better performance. Example, as soon as I finished this job I immediately noticed that all my running lights were brighter, and the heater blower seemed to blow a bit harder as well.
AWESOM! This is just the thing I have been thinking about doing lately. I knew I wanted to run two batteries, I just couldnt find a good write up or schematics on how to do it. You may be recieving a few PM's from me in the future :D BTW, im only a couple hours south of you in lima, ohio

albersondh
03-03-2009, 12:48 PM
AWESOM! This is just the thing I have been thinking about doing lately. I knew I wanted to run two batteries, I just couldnt find a good write up or schematics on how to do it. You may be recieving a few PM's from me in the future :D BTW, im only a couple hours south of you in lima, ohio

Cool Im glad it helps, for sure let me know if you have any questions. Its pretty straight forward....

Anybody else care to share there DBS with us?

Cue-Ball
03-03-2009, 08:46 PM
If you check out my build thread I did a write up on the dual battery set up I did:
http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3556

Yes one of the best things about a dual battery set up is being able to jump start yourself, I have had to do it several times.

The other good thing is on LONG winch pulls I can switch both batteries together to not drain the main battery as much.

I absolutely love my set up.

Dirk

tupperwgn
10-30-2010, 01:07 PM
nice setup!!

excuse my newbness, but could you run it with out the switch and just direct wire acc. to the secondary batt??, ie: inverter, 12v socket that kinda thing???

kingjason
10-30-2010, 07:42 PM
nice setup!!

excuse my newbness, but could you run it with out the switch and just direct wire acc. to the secondary batt??, ie: inverter, 12v socket that kinda thing???

I have mine run this way. Hot to hot and negative to negative just like in my diesel. I just like having the extra juice and it works great. Just be sure and use the same batteries and good cables.

5.9 ANDY
10-31-2010, 04:32 AM
thats what mine is right now, my batteries are wired together as one, i have like 2/0 copper wire between them, and on my grounds.... very good current flow.

cLAYH
12-04-2010, 04:37 PM
I have mine wired the same as the original poster.

FYI a stock XJ battery tray is surprisingly simple to mod to fit into where the ZJ airbox is.

NsTySTANG
12-23-2010, 06:16 PM
damn, this is something im gonna have to do when it gets warmer out. Nice setup

5.9 ANDY
12-24-2010, 06:24 AM
http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj143/ANDY_MASON/jeep/JEEP021.jpg

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj143/ANDY_MASON/jeep/JEEP020-1.jpg

xtremzj
01-13-2011, 01:57 AM
sorry for the bump. But i just bought the Kodiak setup for the dual batterys. What is everyone using for battery trays?

biggoofy
01-13-2011, 11:31 AM
Try reading 3 posts up.

xtremzj
01-13-2011, 12:32 PM
yay 1 option. try gargling bleach.

JordanA
01-13-2011, 02:20 PM
yay 1 option. try gargling bleach.

Ha, what? That was completely unneccessary.

5.9 ANDY
01-14-2011, 12:08 AM
sorry for the bump. But i just bought the Kodiak setup for the dual batterys. What is everyone using for battery trays?

i built one out of some 3/16 i had laring around, it is as ugly as sin, mabe ill clean it up some day if im realy bored.... i think its the best way to go.

AgitatedPancake
01-14-2011, 12:40 AM
Yeah Andy, I think your jeep deserves a torchmate replacement for that tray :)

biggoofy
01-14-2011, 12:07 PM
If you make Andy one I want one to! I just picked up my second battery today and will be figuring all this out here soon as to which way I want to wire it up since I suck at wiring lol

Wwildman
01-18-2011, 10:36 AM
That is my favorite thing to do is wiring .

biggoofy
01-18-2011, 11:20 AM
I hate wiring man maybe you can help me wire all this shit in sometime haha.

5.9 ANDY
01-18-2011, 07:55 PM
Yeah Andy, I think your jeep deserves a torchmate replacement for that tray :)

if you reay want to, go for it, i honestly thing the one on it is fine, just needs some, well...allot of cleaning up.

Ghostfire
02-11-2011, 07:46 PM
What did you guys use for the new intakes? I see 5.9 andy has a dual filter. what intake is that?

Wwildman
02-12-2011, 07:41 AM
I hate wiring man maybe you can help me wire all this shit in sometime haha.
No problem just bring it by the house .