PDA

View Full Version : Tellico CLOSED

MUDDTRACKS
02-27-2009, 11:19 PM
http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.p ... ost9488141 (http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?p=9488141#post9488141)

Worth reading if you ever want to wheel there again http://www.gator4x4.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_eek.gif

Sudz
02-27-2009, 11:22 PM
WTF :pissed:

ATL ZJ
02-27-2009, 11:36 PM
... kind of...

The "preferred alternative" of the forest supervisor (of 7 proposed alternatives) is closure. BUT BUT BUT there is a 30 day comment period in which we MAY have a chance to change things. That means writing and mailing a letter to the Forest Service supervisor stating why you think Tellico should stay open.

There is a ton of info that has come out in the last 18 hours that I'll be sifting through in the next few days. personally I think we (wheelers) have a decent argument. I'll try to create a summary for those of you who don't have time to read 200+ pages but still want to write a convincing letter.

I am going to annoy the shit out of everyone on this board (by bumping this thread daily) to get you guys to write letters. Not only is Tellico very important to those of us in the Southeast, but a closure of the area would set a nasty precedent for any other public wheeling lands.

ATL ZJ
03-02-2009, 01:02 AM
as promised, here is where to send your letters:

Comments may be emailed, in a common digital format, to: comments-southern-north-carolina-nantahala-tusquitee@fs.fed.us

Regular mail:
National Forests in North Carolina
Attn: Candace Wyman
160 A Zillicoa Street
Asheville, NC 28801

or fax to 828-257-4263.

OverkillZJ
03-02-2009, 10:48 AM
Get to writing, I'll have mine in shortly...

SirFuego
03-02-2009, 10:52 AM
I will write and submit my letter later today!

Post this on your local boards!

Just remember that the closure of Tellico would give huge leverage to support the closure of other trails under the microscope across the US, so this is important to you even if you live nowhere near Tellico.

Oh and BUMP!

rstrucks
03-03-2009, 10:59 AM
Letter will be sent today.

Thanks for posting the info Cam.

Guys, we ALL need to be voicing our concern here. If they close Tellico, where is the next spot to be closed? Get writing! At least join the BRC or SFWDA and pay them to fight for you.

ATL ZJ
03-03-2009, 11:33 AM
Thanks guys. Here is a sample letter that someone else wrote if you are having trouble getting started.

To whom it may Concern,

My name is Brian Meyers from Kalamazoo, Michigan. I am writing in response to two recent releases from the United States Forest Service; the Environmental assessment (EA) and the temporary closure of Tellico Upper OHV area.

First I would like to address the Temporary Closure. I was extremely disappointed to hear about the extended closure of the Upper OHV area. I have understood the need for winter closure and fully support parts of the trail system being closed during the winter months. However, extending the closure due to the recent EA release has put myself and many others in limbo after making plans to visit Tellico as soon as the park opened. Not only has this closure put my plans on hold, it is going to seriously hurt local businesses that have been waiting all winter for the trails to re-open. In this current economic crisis, this extended closure could cause some serious financial hardships for many in your local economy. I would like to ask that you reconsider the extended closure and consider allowing Tellico to opened as planned and run as it has until the EA is decided upon.

I recently had the opportunity to read though the Forest Service’s recent EA, as well as the Southern independent trail assessment (SITA). After taking some time to break down each study, I have come up with a few questions/concerns that arise from dissecting both.

Tellico River water quality. In the Forest Service’s Supervisor’s statement release, he states that the Agency is in violation of the North Carolina state water quality standards; however the SITA states that the Streams are healthy and have excellent water quality per North Carolina Standards and are capable of sustaining viable, reproducing native trout populations. Which results are correct? Do there need to be more tests? Can the FS provide a notice of violation from the State of North Carolina?

Trail repair/updates costs. According to the Alternative F on the EA, the cost for repairs and updates on trails at Upper Tellico OHV will cost more then $5,000,000. The Alternative F proposal also includes closure of all of Trail 2 and all of Trail 12. The SITA report covers repairing all the current trails, as well as repairing Trail 2 and Trail 12 but gives a total cost of repairs and updates at $2,200,000. Nearly 60% less then the EA estimated costs. Why are EA costs so high? Can the EA numbers be justified?

Estimated Net Expenses. On page 199 of the EA, it shows costs of operations for each Alternative. It shows the Net Expense of Alternative A as $236,178. While it shows the Net Expense of Alternative C as $221,056. So according to this report, it will actually only save $10,000 in annual expense from closing the park to keeping the park open. Granted, I am comparing the “Do Nothing” option, which we both know is not a good option. However, none of the numbers for keeping the park open seem to be out of line with current cost of operations or the estimated cost with the park being closed. In the SITA report, they state the Annual Operation and maintenance at approximately $100,000 per year. Why are the EA costs so high? Can the EA numbers be justified? Why would the park cost so much annually if it is closed?

Local Financial impact. The EA states that OHV users bring in nearly 4 times the amount of money as anglers; a yearly total of almost $4.5 million. After eliminating this amount of money from the local economy, does the Forest Services have any proposals to help local business or stimulate the area? Has the Forest Service done any studies on how many jobs will be lost, internally and externally? Can the local region sustain the loss of income?

I don’t 100% agree with any of the proposed Alternatives, but if I had two selections, I would go with E and F. Of these two Alternatives, I would have to agree more with E, though both seem to be good options for all parties involved. I do strongly feel that Alternatives C and D would complete cripple the local economy and Alternative D would be just as bad as Alternative C in the long run. Eliminating the high challenge areas would keep myself and just about everyone I know way from Tellico.

I am an avid trail rider and I travel long distances to enjoy difficult trail riding. Tellico Upper OHV area is renowned for its amazing trail quality, however closing anymore of the difficult trails without adding new obstacles will cause me to travel to other parks. The wonderful thing about Tellico is the natural surrounding and the beautiful Great Smokey Mountains. I believe that Tellico is a unique opportunity here in the United States to explore the mountains and enjoy our hobby. I am heart broken to know that there is a possibility that this will be taken away. I would like you to consider my opinion as well as other OHV user’s opinions when the final decision will be made on the trails.

Regards,

Brian Meyers.

ATL ZJ
03-03-2009, 11:36 AM
And here are some letter writing guidelines (copied and pasted)...

-Mailed letter must include name, address and "verifiable" signature.

-Letter must include specific suggestions for improving specific aspects of the EA. Even if you just pick one aspect, give examples of how it could be done better.

-Recommend that the Forest Plan be amended to allow higher OHV trail density within the Upper Tellico OHV area specifically.

-Further recommend that the Forest Plan be amended to accomodate diversity among OHV users, specifically eliminating the following language: "providing trails with easy to moderate levels of challenge", which excludes the high challenge areas that we all drive several hours to enjoy.

-Provide alternatives for protecting the Brook Trout populations, including: fishing limitations, discontinuing the stocking of non-native species (rainbow & brown), followup analysis of populations after these measures are implemented.

-The proposed temporary storm-event closures are not logistically feasible, due to the substantial lead time necessary to plan a trip to Tellico.

-It is no coincidence that Alternative "C" is the preferred action for the Forest Service and the TU/PEER/Wildsouth/SELC environmental zealots.

-Send a separate letter to specifically oppose the "temporary closure" beginning April 1, 2009. This would directly contradict the previous proposal for certain trails to be closed "for a period not to exceed one year" and would contradict their temporary winter closure which should expire on April 1. Additionally, this proposal has already impacted the planned Spring Fling fundraiser event that is critical for our side.

-Be courteous and professional.....

ATL ZJ
03-04-2009, 04:14 PM
Here is today's idea (borrowed from another board)...

PUSH FOR AN EXTENSION: Everyone needs to write a separate letter for an extension from the Forest Service. The reason being it's hard to analyze and research a 217 page document in 30 days. The tactic from the FS is to throw this at all of us in such a way that they know we can't go through all of it. We need this extension. We need to push for this. Let this be your first letter! The more the better.

Remember, you can write more than one letter!

ATL ZJ
03-05-2009, 11:59 AM
Today's installment:

Here's a great summary of the situation to guide your letter writing:
http://jcroffroad.com/savetellico.html

Support Alternative E or F in your letter. Emphasize the importance of retaining high challenge areas.

country_boy454
03-05-2009, 12:36 PM
Sent my letter! This is one trail system I have been hoping to make it too someday.

ATL ZJ
03-09-2009, 10:11 PM
Now it's even EASIER to write a letter. The letter generator is fired up and ready to send your Tellico letter. http://www.pirate4x4.com/letters/

Please take 5 minutes that you would normally waste reading chit-chat and type out a personal letter... this is REALLY important. Then post up in this thread.

Thanks to all that have written already.

Pearce
03-09-2009, 10:38 PM
Going to try and do one of these a day with the generator. We still need to mail one in too. Make a different point in every letter.

Now it's even EASIER to write a letter. The letter generator is fired up and ready to send your Tellico letter. http://www.pirate4x4.com/letters/

Please take 5 minutes that you would normally waste reading chit-chat and type out a personal letter... this is REALLY important. Then post up in this thread.

Thanks to all that have written already.

paulkeith
03-10-2009, 09:50 AM
generator letter for the day sent.

SirFuego
03-10-2009, 06:03 PM
Bump for the evening crowd!

I sent in one letter already and plan to send in a few more focused on the different subjects!

EMTimZJ
03-11-2009, 12:11 AM
Sent! Thank you guys for posting this, and a big thank you to JCR for their efforts as well.

-Tim

ATL ZJ
03-11-2009, 03:53 PM
I just wrote another letter. Been writing one/day. Come on and help me out.

FYI the Forest Service is required to read and respond to all letters.

BigClay
03-11-2009, 04:09 PM
Just sent an electronic letter via Pirate, and I have typed letters ready to mail to each of my US and state representatives.

dp96zj
03-11-2009, 04:10 PM
I've never been there, but it'd be a shame if it closed before I had a chance to wheel it.

Letter sent.

BigClay
03-12-2009, 09:58 PM
ttt - just sealed letters to all of US and NC state legislators!

ATL ZJ
03-12-2009, 10:06 PM
ttt - just sealed letters to all of US and NC state legislators!

Thank you! Keep it up guys! We need both hard copy mailed letters and letters from the generator.

ATL ZJ
03-16-2009, 09:52 AM
bump

Pearce
03-18-2009, 11:38 AM
In addition to writing letters, please also consider donating additional money to the SFWDA to help fund the effort. Follow the link in my sig.
I made another donation today. :smt038

ATL ZJ
03-18-2009, 05:02 PM
Definitely. Donations are great and pay for things like the comparative study commissioned by SFWDA that gives our side some solid scientific findings to stand on. Please also keep writing letters.

AND. for those who aren't motivated to donate or write a letter.... NOW there is a petition that takes less than 1 minute of your time. While not as effective as writing or giving money, please AT LEAST do this.
http://www.nora-usa.com/takeaction/index.cfm

direct to petition: http://salsa.wiredforchange.com/o/5568/campaign.jsp?campaign_KEY=2619

Jeeperoni91
03-24-2009, 06:17 PM
http://rapidshare.com/files/207285447/Rescue_Tellico_Letter_Points.doc

a little more documentation arguing our side for reference in your letters^

ATL ZJ
03-26-2009, 01:08 AM
bump..

3 days left! 30 days from beginning of comment period is Sunday, so letters must be postmarked by Saturday. The cutoff for letter generator is Sunday.

Please write if you have not already.

BigClay
03-26-2009, 09:04 AM
Please write if you have not already.

Please write even if you have written one before.

SirFuego
03-31-2009, 05:34 PM
Closed until 2011 :-(

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=775371

paulkeith
03-31-2009, 11:39 PM
son of a bitch! just saw this on pirate.

ATL ZJ
04-01-2009, 12:54 AM
Thanks to everyone that wrote. If for nothing else, I personally appreciate your time.

paulkeith
04-01-2009, 09:10 AM
Found this over on pirate, looks sfwda is looking to pursue a legal route. You can donate to the cause at www.sfwda.org.

The Southern Four Wheel Drive Association (SFWDA), the BlueRibbon Coalition (BRC) and United Four Wheel Drive Associations (UFWDA) expressed disappointment today in the Forest Service decision to implement the emergency closure of the Upper Tellico OHV trails on April 1, pending review of the many substantive comments made by OHV enthusiasts.

Gary Parsons, President of SFWDA, said, "We are very disappointed in the Forest Service decision to close the Upper Tellico OHV trails. In formal comments made to the Forest Service, the OHV community and other interested parties clearly demonstrated that such a closure has no scientific basis. Substantive comments provided to the Forest Service included findings of an independent study completed by Caliber Engineering and the recommendations from a report completed by the Forest Service's own Trails Unlimited Team. This is a bad decision and we are left with no other alternative but to pursue legal options."

Carla Boucher, legal counsel for the United Four Wheel Drive Associations, stated, "The Forest Service has failed to make the case with regard to adverse effects and resource damage. There is no immediate threat to public health, safety, or other requisite finding required by such an order. Water quality standards cited by the Forest Supervisor as the basis for such an order are not being exceeded." Boucher added, "In making this decision, the Forest Service must be prepared to explain why similar findings have not been made in the decades of greater environmental impact and they simply have not done that."

Greg Mumm, BRC's Executive Director, stated, "Implementing this closure order threatens the integrity of the ongoing planning process in which the interested public and our federal government have collectively invested significant time and resources."

Mumm concluded, "The economic impact of this closure will be devastating to the area and comes at a time when the current administration is calling for more jobs, economic development, and healthy outdoor recreation. It makes no sense."

link to article: http://www.sharetrails.org/releases/media/?story=638

link to thread on pirate: http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=775388

Pearce
04-01-2009, 09:20 AM
Donate, Donate, Donate!

And keep up to date with what SFWDA is doing, they have not stopped fighting.

Pearce
05-20-2009, 01:04 PM
http://www.sfwda.org/saveatrout/ :D

berk9
05-20-2009, 10:38 PM
Yeah I did an environmental project on Tellico for college and it doesn’t look good for our side of things. Things I heard made it sound like most of it was the park serves fault because they made trails within 100 feet of water ways and they made twice as many trails as the state supposedly let them in the contract. They don’t have the man power to do the necessary preventative maintenance that was required on the contract with the state. other bull shit is about the native fish and that they did research on the offroad impact on the fish and found that when we weren’t allowed to wheel, the fish population started to come back but what they didn’t say was that they also prevented them from being fished at the same damn time to make it look even more like it was our fault.Not sure if everything i said is exactly true but thats what my research led me to believe and there are also many other aspects im not touching on as well.

Only got to go once as a passenger and it was bad ass, sux i wont ever get to wheel it in my rig