PDA

View Full Version : Tow Rig Tire thread

ATL ZJ
02-05-2009, 10:52 AM
What tires are you running on your tow rig? What size truck, what tread design and load rating?

Right now I have a set of 265/70R18 Firestone Destination AT's on my Titan that I like so far. Most of my driving is mixed city/highway, but whenever I tow my Jeep, I end up using 4wd on the dirt roads and gravel parking lots, so I want to stick with an AT.

What tires are you guys running?

BigDaveZJ
02-05-2009, 11:26 AM
http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17422

A lot of us chimed in there.

rstrucks
02-05-2009, 11:42 AM
When I used my 5.9 to tow my race car (4500 lbs total - car and trailer) I had 245/75/16 BFG AT's. Load range was E (IIRC). Loved 'em. I got about about 45 - 50K miles out of them before I took them off when I lifted. There is still some life left in them too.

ATL ZJ
02-05-2009, 11:44 AM
I knew somebody would post that. I thought about reviving that thread but didn't because it's about diesels only. Weight of the actual tow rig affects tire choice immensely. Hoping to have more of a general thread here, especially for us poor 1/2 ton guys.
:D

SirFuego
02-05-2009, 11:49 AM
I have an 07 Ram 1500 with the stock 275/60/20 Wrangler HPs. They get the job done, but I hate them.

I have no complaints when the roads are dry since they are so quiet, but they spin out way too easily in the rain even with 7000lbs behind it. They suck in the snow, too.

I really want to replace them with BFG ATs (ran them on my ZJ when it was my DD for a while and loved them) -- but they are like $400/tire in my size and the Wrangler HPs seem to be wearing like iron.

San Juan Grand
02-05-2009, 01:17 PM
I have an 03 dodge 2500 ctd with stock 265/70/17 load range E BFG Rugged Trail. They are great on dry pavement but suck in any other conditions. I have also ran BFG AT 285/70/17 Load range D (carry the same lbs as the 265/70/17 ) on the same truck. They did fine towing my ZJ, and were far better in the snow and wet roads. These wil be the next tire I put on my truck.

paulkeith
02-05-2009, 01:29 PM
After my other thread that Dave posted, I went with some BFG MTKM2s. I got the 285/75/16Es. Very happy with them so far. Little squishy/squirmy, but every MT I've ever driven did the same thing. They're also made in the USA.

I don't think you can go wrong with some BFG ATs. With your 18" wheels, you're somewhat limited in what they offer...the 285/65/18E seems the closest match to what you're running now, and the E load rating is a pretty attractive bonus. They'll probably cost a small fortune though. edit: confirmed....close to $300 a corner.

Any opposition to running another set of what's on there?

Paul

Pearce
02-05-2009, 02:13 PM
Get the LTX A/T2 because I want to know how you like them since I may get those next. LOL They make this tire in the newer truck sizes.

country_boy454
02-06-2009, 03:18 AM
I run Firestone Steeltex AT's on my 97 Chevy K2500 454 Vortec. They have a lot of grip on dry and wet roads and are also pretty good in the snow. I pull a 10,000lb trailer with it and have put almost 50k on the tires and they still look brand new.

As for the BFG AT's, I don't like them. We have them on our F-350 7.3l TD at the size of 315/75/16's and other than getting ~60,000 miles out of them they suck. Only traction they have is on dry pavement. They are horrible in the snow. In the summer months we pull a 12,000lb + trailer daily. Winter months it is used commercially for snowplowing. Will be purchasing new tires for it in the next month or so and are looking at going with the Firestone Destination AT's.

SirFuego
02-06-2009, 11:14 AM
As for the BFG AT's, I don't like them. We have them on our F-350 7.3l TD at the size of 315/75/16's and other than getting ~60,000 miles out of them they suck. Only traction they have is on dry pavement. They are horrible in the snow. In the summer months we pull a 12,000lb + trailer daily. Winter months it is used commercially for snowplowing. Will be purchasing new tires for it in the next month or so and are looking at going with the Firestone Destination AT's.

I've heard from some people that they hate the wider BFG ATs, but I've yet to hear anyone with a narrower BFG AT (like 10.5" or less) that they suck. If my calculations are correct, your width works out to about 12.5", so that could be the reason. Perhaps the additional weight of the rig had something to do with it, too.

country_boy454
02-06-2009, 10:16 PM
I've heard from some people that they hate the wider BFG ATs, but I've yet to hear anyone with a narrower BFG AT (like 10.5" or less) that they suck. If my calculations are correct, your width works out to about 12.5", so that could be the reason. Perhaps the additional weight of the rig had something to do with it, too.

That could be. I got a great deal on them. Only reason I went with the tire size. Paid the local Firestone to mount and balance 5 tires for $800! That includes the purchase of the BFG's through them. Cheapest place around for tires of any brand!

paulkeith
02-06-2009, 11:53 PM
dude, you need to condense your marathon signature

spykosshow
02-22-2009, 04:31 PM
Get the LTX A/T2 because I want to know how you like them since I may get those next. LOL They make this tire in the newer truck sizes.

I run that in a 285/70-17 on my 01 CTD. I love them. They're quiet, and get pretty damn good traction in all conditions. I've even put them through snow and they do well in that too. I report back after my 2500 mile trip next weekend to let you know how they do on road trips.

SirFuego
03-12-2010, 11:50 AM
I have an 07 Ram 1500 with the stock 275/60/20 Wrangler HPs. They get the job done, but I hate them.

I have no complaints when the roads are dry since they are so quiet, but they spin out way too easily in the rain even with 7000lbs behind it. They suck in the snow, too.

I really want to replace them with BFG ATs (ran them on my ZJ when it was my DD for a while and loved them) -- but they are like $400/tire in my size and the Wrangler HPs seem to be wearing like iron.

Giving this thread a little bump and update.

So even after 45k miles, there was a fair amount of tread left on my Wrangler HPs. However, they wouldn't balance very well. To and from GSSE-W, I noticed a bit of a shake start -- thinking it was just an out of balance tire. After I got back, I took it to a shop only to see that one tire had a broken belt and had a small area worn down to the cords (which either happened to and from Windrock or I just never saw when I would do "spot checks" of my tire tread). The other tires were really out of round, so I just got a new set of tires. I guess I can't really complain about the life of them. 45k (and admittedly a bit inconsistent with tire rotations) isn't too shabby for truck tires.

I went with the 275/60/20 Cooper H/T Plus (the H/T version with a different tread supposedly optimized for bling 18"+ rims). I've only had them for a week, but I don't notice any additional road noise from the tires (and of course the truck rids like new again). Like I said before, the Wrangler HPs sucked when the roads got wet. This morning it was wet and I took some turns on these new tires where I knew my LSD would kick in with the old tires, and had zero issues with tire slippage in the new tires. These new tires are also rated for a heavier load than the Wrangler HPs, which will hopefully help. Of course I can't comment on tread wear or snow performance (it's mostly all melted now), but I'm much happier with these than I ever was with the HPs.

joshman95zj
03-12-2010, 10:17 PM
I don't personally have a tow rig, but my grandpa has bfg at's on his ram 2500. He tows a fifth wheel with small caterpillar tractors (old fifteens and twenties, about 6,000 lbs plus trailer wt.) all the time. he loves them and he lives in snow country. not sure what the size is, but they are narrow looking and on a 16 inch rim.

I had 31/10.50 bfg ats on my zj, got 50,000 out of them and they were awesome in the snow in my opinion.

paulkeith
03-13-2010, 03:42 PM
I guess just to close the loop on my question in the linked thread, the KM2s have been on for about 18 months, and I'm flirting with the wear bars. Frickin joke.

Next set will be LTX M/S in stock size. Tired (haahh!) of blowing through tires in a year and a half of this thing. I've got the Jeep to put stupid shoes on.

CrawlerReady
03-13-2010, 04:03 PM
I just picked up the new Wrangler Duratrac tires for my tow rig. They're an aggressive all-terrain. Not bad priced either. I got 295/65-18's E for $240 a tire. Supposedly you can get around 40k miles out of them. Time will tell though.

sasdranger
03-13-2010, 06:46 PM
I just paid ~$760 for my 265/75-16 BFG ATs, and in that size they only come in E.

Over the years of being on different truck forums the only thing I've read "negative" about them.... is that everyone has them, which is true.

I was going between Michelin LTX M/S and the BFG ATs, but I wanted something on the more aggressive side and also a fairly strong sidewall because I would be towing offroad rigs and as we all know the terrain isn't always forgiving. I haven't towed anything on these tires yet but so far daily driving with them I love 'em. The new MT/Rs were on my list until I saw the price

dp96zj
03-13-2010, 07:24 PM
I just paid ~$760 for my 265/75-16 BFG ATs, and in that size they only come in E.

Over the years of being on different truck forums the only thing I've read "negative" about them.... is that everyone has them, which is true.

I was going between Michelin LTX M/S and the BFG ATs, but I wanted something on the more aggressive side and also a fairly strong sidewall because I would be towing offroad rigs and as we all know the terrain isn't always forgiving. I haven't towed anything on these tires yet but so far daily driving with them I love 'em. The new MT/Rs were on my list until I saw the price

Hopefully you get better luck with teh BFG's than I did...

sasdranger
03-13-2010, 08:02 PM
what did you do to them?

blackzj52
03-13-2010, 09:10 PM
+1 for BFG ATs.
Have some 31's on my current DD (96 2 door 2wd Chevy Tahoe) until my ZJ is operational again. LOVE them. They are great on basically anything I have put them through except mud. Didn't have any trouble with it in the snow (2wd keep in mind). Never slipped when it's wet out.

Paid about $155/tire at discount for 31's. When I was looking to buy my set of 33s for my ZJ they were about $190/each on Discount's site. You can talk them down in price at the store. I got my MT/R Kevlars for $185/tire when the online listing price was $225. I recommend trying them.

LouisianaZJ
03-13-2010, 09:31 PM
Im running 34" nitto terra grapplers E rated. Good onroad and dirt/mud acces roads hauling a load

09 dodge 2500 CTD 4x4

sasdranger
03-13-2010, 10:12 PM
I think the MTRs were 250+ for me. a friend at discount could get me the black wall BFGs for like 160, i paid like 175? for the white walled ones and the company delivered to my shop within a few hours.

They're amazing on wet roads. thats the only place they've been. I was in some mud recovering a few friends, while I didn't get stuck.. I also didn't play around, I was just there to get them out.

Ds4x4
03-14-2010, 12:04 AM
Running 285/75 or 70/17 Toyo Open Country A/T's Load Range E, on my 03 Ram 2500 5.7L .. the drive from Massachusetts was pretty nice towing a uhaul trailer with the XJ on it. Drove on Dry,wet and Icy roads with no slippage or Vibes. i have a hard time breaking loose the rear tires on wet roads and when they do let go it will catch rather quick mud/grass has some sweet grip too.

dp96zj
03-14-2010, 02:39 AM
what did you do to them?

I didn't do shit to them. I put em on my ZJ in August '08, and will be replacing them this summer most likely. They're wearing so damn quickly, I guarantee I wont get 15k outta them. I'm at 9k right now. I probably got more miles outta my BFG M/T's.... They're wearing evenly across the face of the tire (no alignment issues), they're just wearing really fast. Maybe I got an unlucky batch.

EDIT: Oh, and they suck cawk in mud.

SB406
03-31-2010, 03:00 PM
FWIW-
I've run 2 wheel dig tow rigs for years...always with some brand of MT's on the back. I've run BFG MT's, Firestone Destination MT's, Goodyear MTR's, and now my dad's running Cooper Discovery STT's. I'm moving to a 4WD tow rig this spring, and the MTR's are still good, so I'm swapping them over, even though they're noisy as hell. The truck I picked up has Uniroyal laredo AWT's on the front. I'll be rocking the equivalent of a tire mullet. Business in front party in back.

Anyway, out of all of the tires I've run, the MTR's (old style) are the worst. The STT's are the best, followed by the Destination MT's. When I need to buy 4 new tires, I'll probably go with the STT's.

xjrev10
03-31-2010, 10:19 PM
I run Mastercraft MTs on my pickup. 2001 Reg Cab Dodge Cummins. Got them cheap off of craiglist.

Sporer65
03-31-2010, 10:39 PM
FWIW-
I've run 2 wheel dig tow rigs for years...always with some brand of MT's on the back. I've run BFG MT's, Firestone Destination MT's, Goodyear MTR's, and now my dad's running Cooper Discovery STT's. I'm moving to a 4WD tow rig this spring, and the MTR's are still good, so I'm swapping them over, even though they're noisy as hell. The truck I picked up has Uniroyal laredo AWT's on the front. I'll be rocking the equivalent of a tire mullet. Business in front party in back.

Anyway, out of all of the tires I've run, the MTR's (old style) are the worst. The STT's are the best, followed by the Destination MT's. When I need to buy 4 new tires, I'll probably go with the STT's.

It doesn't tow anything, but my brother has had 2 sets of Cooper STT's on his truck and really likes them too.

SirFuego
03-31-2010, 10:56 PM
I'm moving to a 4WD tow rig this spring.

So I won't need to pull your tow rig up a hill anymore? :D

Tommy
05-17-2010, 01:10 AM
I was running the firestone transforce at for a couple years. I was only getting about 25,000 miles on them with my dually. I was over buying tires and just went to 22.5" rims and semi traction tires. I have been much happier.

ATL ZJ
10-11-2010, 12:00 PM
Has anybody run Kumho Road Venture A/Ts?

http://www.tirerack.com/images/tires/kumho/ku_rd_vnt_at_kl78_owl_ci2_l.jpg

They are Korean but the price seems right. They are cheaper than longtrails, have more tread depth, and I actually stand a chance to make it out of a wet trailhead parking lot without burying my tow rig...

The reviews I've read make them sound good but I was curious if any of you guys have run them.

ATL ZJ
10-11-2010, 12:03 PM
I'd also like to point out that I'm still running the same set of Firestones I had when I started this thread a year and a half ago. They are at 49,000 and I have never rotated them. With any luck they'll last til Christmas before I need to get some new tires on the truck.

Needless to say I'm happy with the tire but I'm looking for something with a little lighter price tag this time around.

CrawlerReady
10-11-2010, 12:31 PM
I just picked up the new Wrangler Duratrac tires for my tow rig. They're an aggressive all-terrain. Not bad priced either. I got 295/65-18's E for $240 a tire. Supposedly you can get around 40k miles out of them. Time will tell though.

Since Cam bumped this, I wanted to update my results so far. I would NOT recommend these tires for a tow rig. I've put 8k-9k miles on them and I'd say they're about 50-60% tread. They'd probably be a good off-road tire, but they're definitely not an aggressive all terrain tire like they were advertised.

That said, my next tire will be the Toyo MT. My brother has them in a 315 on his Hemi and purchased them used with about 90% tread off of ebay 3 years ago. He's put 40k miles on them and probably still has about 10k-15k left in them. By far the best wearing aggressive truck tire there is. Even with the higher price, in the long run they are cheaper per mile.

SirFuego
10-11-2010, 12:55 PM
I went with the 275/60/20 Cooper H/T Plus (the H/T version with a different tread supposedly optimized for bling 18"+ rims).
Been running these for about 9-10k miles so far and they aren't really showing any wear. Very happy with them. My tire guy sells a bunch of these tires and has yet to hear a complaint about them. Still highly recommended. I'll try to remember to chime in during the next month or two when I get a chance to put some snow miles on them.

dp96zj
10-11-2010, 02:15 PM
Since Cam bumped this, I wanted to update my results so far. I would NOT recommend these tires [Wrangler Duratracs] for a tow rig. I've put 8k-9k miles on them and I'd say they're about 50-60% tread. They'd probably be a good off-road tire, but they're definitely not an aggressive all terrain tire like they were advertised.

FWIW, I'm running these on my ZJ. I've read quite a few reviews where people with bigger vehicles (trucks, mostly) do not like these tires. Digging into the issue a little more, I found that, regardless of load range (C or E), all Wrangler Duratracs have a 2 ply sidewall. hmmm.....

The ZJ is my DD obviously, so I guess we'll see my tires can put out some better mileage. I sure hope so...

CrawlerReady
10-11-2010, 02:48 PM
Yeah, the issues I've read about are with people towing and they say it sways their load a lot more. I haven't had that issue at all, maybe the 18" wheel and smaller sidewall is a contributing factor to that? I also wonder if those people were running at the 80psi recommended in the rear?

Either way, there seems to be some issues with these tires, so I wouldn't run them on a truck again. However, they do seem to be a good tire for off-road, so maybe for the weekend warrior they'd be good...? You'll have to update us on how many miles you get out of them.

goldensd
10-11-2010, 02:52 PM
Since Cam bumped this, I wanted to update my results so far. I would NOT recommend these tires for a tow rig. I've put 8k-9k miles on them and I'd say they're about 50-60% tread. They'd probably be a good off-road tire, but they're definitely not an aggressive all terrain tire like they were advertised.

That said, my next tire will be the Toyo MT. My brother has them in a 315 on his Hemi and purchased them used with about 90% tread off of ebay 3 years ago. He's put 40k miles on them and probably still has about 10k-15k left in them. By far the best wearing aggressive truck tire there is. Even with the higher price, in the long run they are cheaper per mile.

That's interesting, I've got about 12k on a set of Duratracs on my F-150, granted I've only towed with them for less than 1500 miles, but so far I see very little wear on them. I'm interested to see how long they last, but I'd think 40k is attainable with them. Maybe the rubber is just a bit too soft for a heavier truck, although my truck does weigh in at around 6,500 lbs.

ATL ZJ
10-11-2010, 02:54 PM
That said, my next tire will be the Toyo MT.

so you utah residents are gonna make fun of us east coast fools for having mud on our trails and then go put mud tires on your tow rigs? ;)

CrawlerReady
10-11-2010, 03:06 PM
HAHA you're confusing me with Cody I think making fun of you and all ;)

Quite a few peeps here run the Toyo MT's because they're such a hard compound, do great in the snow, and outlast many AT tires. I feel 50k on those is easy to get.

CrawlerReady
10-11-2010, 03:09 PM
That's interesting, I've got about 12k on a set of Duratracs on my F-150, granted I've only towed with them for less than 1500 miles, but so far I see very little wear on them. I'm interested to see how long they last, but I'd think 40k is attainable with them. Maybe the rubber is just a bit too soft for a heavier truck, although my truck does weigh in at around 6,500 lbs.

Who knows...maybe I got the competition sticky version? hahaha in all seriousness though, I've towed heavy loads on these tires for about 4k miles. The fronts didn't wear down much at all, but the rears.......WOW. My first rotation at 5k miles and my fronts were probably 90% or more and my rears were probably about 65-70%.

I'm sure not towing on these tires and they'd be able to reach that 40k mark, but any towing it seems like 25k is gonna be my max. I don't want to have to buy new tires next year....but I may have to. Crossing my fingers.

jsteves
10-11-2010, 03:41 PM
I run BFG A/T's on the tow rig. This is my first set on the heavy truck but my father-in-law got almost 70k with them on his Tundra...he does not tow though and left em on till they were beyond the replacement bars. I think I should be able to get 50k but only time will tell.

Edit: Just notice someone complained about the traction of the these tires and disagree completely. We get plenty of snow in CO and that was a driving factor in my tire selection. These tires are awesome in the snow and slick stuff. I think he just wants his F350 to stop on a dime in snow and that just ain't gonna happen.

Jeep Whore
12-19-2010, 10:50 PM
Is anyone here running 19.5" rims on their tow rig?

it usually runs fine
12-19-2010, 11:44 PM
Is anyone here running 19.5" rims on their tow rig?
I doubt it. Discount tire and like companies will not touch a 19.5" rim, making it very inconvenient for getting a new tire in BFE. Plus most of them are thick ass steel with chrome covers.

it usually runs fine
12-19-2010, 11:49 PM
A little update on my tow rigs tires. I have been running 265/75/18 BFG Rugged Trails on my titan for about 30,000 miles with maybe 20 to 30% wear so far. They ride smooth and wear great, but I R&B them religiously, I payed $800 for all 4 with free replacemnt certificates and all that. The only bad side is that I get stuck on every trail head while pulling the trailer and jeep.

Jeep Whore
12-20-2010, 02:41 PM
I doubt it. Discount tire and like companies will not touch a 19.5" rim, making it very inconvenient for getting a new tire in BFE. Plus most of them are thick ass steel with chrome covers.

yea its a pain to get tires for it. I think we were looking at some Michelin for it and they wanted 330 a tire.

I guess thats what you get for having a F-450

BigClay
12-20-2010, 03:00 PM
Has anyone ever used retreads?

Treadwright.com has some pretty good prices, 285/75/r16 E load range for just over $100 a tire.

indy242003
12-21-2010, 12:00 AM

Treadwright.com has some pretty good prices, 285/75/r16 E load range for just over $100 a tire.

I was thinking about buying a set of these for my tow rig. I am going to keep 2 of my 285/75/16 just to make sure these don't leave me stranded. I've heard a lot of good reviews about these but I have my doubts. It's worth a shot for the price.

BigClay
12-21-2010, 02:04 PM
I was thinking about buying a set of these for my tow rig. I am going to keep 2 of my 285/75/16 just to make sure these don't leave me stranded. I've heard a lot of good reviews about these but I have my doubts. It's worth a shot for the price.

I have heard some good things as well. I still have a little life in my tires now, so report back if you get the tread wrights.

ATL ZJ
12-21-2010, 02:24 PM
I'd also like to point out that I'm still running the same set of Firestones I had when I started this thread a year and a half ago. They are at 49,000 and I have never rotated them. With any luck they'll last til Christmas before I need to get some new tires on the truck.

Needless to say I'm happy with the tire but I'm looking for something with a little lighter price tag this time around.

Well, it's almost Christmas and the tires still have a bunch of life left in them... Hasn't been for lack of mileage either. They still have not been rotated! I have taken five 600+ mile wheeling trips this year. Plus a few shorter ones and a lot of daily commuting. I've had my eye out for a cheaper set, but I've got to say, if I'm thinking of keeping this truck for another 60k, I'd be a fool to replace the tires with anything other than these Firestones. Only bad thing about them is the price tag.

Jeep Whore
12-21-2010, 02:50 PM

The one thing about retreads is if the tread starts to come off then you'll have a lot of damage to your truck especially if its a dually.

SirFuego
12-21-2010, 03:02 PM
The one thing about retreads is if the tread starts to come off then you'll have a lot of damage to your truck especially if its a dually.
Based on what? Or is this based on the all the Internet hearsay about retreads that have been circulating for years?

The funny thing is that there is at least one comment like this in every single thread I've ever seen about retreads -- and not once was there ever any evidence to back it up. Many times those stories are based on something someone heard about them "20 years ago" -- but you never hear any of them claiming that it happened to a retread made in the last 10-15 years.

Retreading technology today is very advanced compared to what it was 20 years ago and I've still yet to see any evidence supporting the alleged safety issues with today's retreads. Someone show me evidence to where the chance of tire failure is increased with retreads and I'll jump on the retread hater's bandwagon. Note I'm not talking about evidence of any tire failure, but I'm talking about evidence of tire failure due to the retreading process or the age of the retreaded tire carcass.

From a "tech" standpoint, this is all I'm able to add:
I've known quite a few people who got their tires through treadwright -- and every single one of them is a happy customer. I've looked into getting tires from them, but since their inventory changes so frequently, I've never been lucky enough to be in the market for tires when they carry the size I need.

SB406
12-21-2010, 03:39 PM
Have you ever had a retread bounce off the front of your vehicle? I have. I have also been along side one when it let go. DOT prohibits the use of retreads on the steer axles of busses. There's a reason for that. It may be perfectly legal and "OK" to run retreads on one of our tow rigs, but for the reasons above, I'm leary. I'm not willing to risk it all over $400.

BTW, I just bought 4 new tires for my tow rig. BFG AT KO's. Load range E. $711 on my door from tire rack. So far, I like them.

Also, here is a very useful chart for setting your tire pressures when not hauling.
http://www.goodyear.com/rv/pdf/rv_inflation.pdf

SirFuego
12-21-2010, 03:46 PM
Have you ever had a retread bounce off the front of your vehicle? I have. I have also been along side one when it let go. DOT prohibits the use of retreads on the steer axles of busses. There's a reason for that. It may be perfectly legal and "OK" to run retreads on one of our tow rigs, but for the reasons above, I'm leary. I'm not willing to risk it all over $400.
Thank you, Mike! The funny part is that while I was typing that post I was thinking that if anyone had a retread story like that, it would be either you or your Dad :D

The Internet smells pretty bad because of all the crap floating around it, so I just sometimes get sick of the smell and want someone to bring in the roses.

SB406
12-21-2010, 03:57 PM
Not saying they're a bad deal or even a bad tire. Just saying that's why I don't run them.

BigClay
12-21-2010, 05:07 PM
Here is a question, why do you see all the tractor trailer retreads on the side of the road? Is that a different process, cheaper maybe?

SB406
12-21-2010, 05:19 PM
Excessive Heat makes them come apart, especially when they're getting old. Heavy loads for miles & miles without stopping = excessive heat.

Jeep Whore
12-21-2010, 06:03 PM
Based on what? Or is this based on the all the Internet hearsay about retreads that have been circulating for years

I have nothing to back this up. I got this from my dad when he was researching tires for the 450.

indy242003
12-22-2010, 01:51 AM
Excessive Heat makes them come apart, especially when they're getting old. Heavy loads for miles & miles without stopping = excessive heat.

You are correct sir. These are siome reasons why big truck (like 11/24.5)recaps fail. A lot of them are caused by under inflation. With the excess weight and long road miles builds excessive heat in the tires that allows the cap to pull apart. This used to be fairly common. The process has come along way and the newer style retreads are much better. A lot of big truck recap places use the same old tech that has been used for the last 30 years. That's why you still see gators on the highway. My dad owned his own trucking business for 60 years and hated them with a passion. He would only run virgin tires on his rigs. He even admitted that the newer style recaps are way better than the old style.

With all that being said. I still think that they maybe a good economical solution. My rig is a F350 4x4 crew cab, and I pull a goose neck with 2 rigs on it to most of the places I wheel. I am seriously considering these, but like I said in a previous post, I will keep 2 tires in the back for spares until they prove themselves.

ratmonkey
12-22-2010, 01:33 PM
Based on what? Or is this based on the all the Internet hearsay about retreads that have been circulating for years?

The funny thing is that there is at least one comment like this in every single thread I've ever seen about retreads -- and not once was there ever any evidence to back it up. Many times those stories are based on something someone heard about them "20 years ago" -- but you never hear any of them claiming that it happened to a retread made in the last 10-15 years.

Retreading technology today is very advanced compared to what it was 20 years ago and I've still yet to see any evidence supporting the alleged safety issues with today's retreads. Someone show me evidence to where the chance of tire failure is increased with retreads and I'll jump on the retread hater's bandwagon. Note I'm not talking about evidence of any tire failure, but I'm talking about evidence of tire failure due to the retreading process or the age of the retreaded tire carcass.

From a "tech" standpoint, this is all I'm able to add:
I've known quite a few people who got their tires through treadwright -- and every single one of them is a happy customer. I've looked into getting tires from them, but since their inventory changes so frequently, I've never been lucky enough to be in the market for tires when they carry the size I need.
i ran nothing but retreads on my first few cars(poorness will do that). never once had a failure due to it being a retread.

i'll chime in on the bfg at's as well. absolute WORST tire i have ever attempted to drive with in the snow. i ran goodyear eagle h2's on my summer car last winter while my jeep was down. they had significantly better traction than the bfg's. jared, i actually drove it across i86 in the worst blizzard they got last winter without trouble. the bfg's get light in less than 2" of powder.

SB406
12-23-2010, 10:24 AM
That's funny because I've been running mine for about a week and have had nothing but traction in the snow. Were yours the BFG AT KO's or the old AT's? I was told that the old AT's sucked, but the redesigned KO's were much better.
Also, we're talking apples & oranges. A car is gong to behave much differently than a short wheelbase Jeep which will behave differently than a long wheelbase truck in the snow.

If I had a dually tow rig, I might consider the recaps for the rear. Even if one were to come apart with a load on, there's another tire right next to it to help maintain control.

ratmonkey
12-23-2010, 08:19 PM
running the ko's. 11.5 wide for the dd duty.
it even gets a bit funny in 4hi. i don't even have to try to spin on wet roads and just a little throttle blip will break them free on dry roads even. bfg's just plain suck.

cars may be different, but when a low tread depth summer performance tire out does an all terrain on any vehicle. something aint right.

AgitatedPancake
12-23-2010, 09:47 PM
I'm sorry but rat you must have some crazy pair of BFG's, are they old and dryrotted? That sounds nothing like any experience me/my dad have had with them.

My dads on his....12th? consecutive set of BFG AT's because he's never found anything better. He puts about 40k miles a year on them. Drives 100+ miles to a property he's working on (forestry), and wheels it like 5 hours a day, then drives the 100+ miles back on workdays. Including the winter months at 7000ft elevation, PLENTY of snow.

Hell I put 4 hours of road time in his jeep yesterday driving from Sacramento to Reno and back, and it was raining/snowing on me the entire time. I couldn't have been more comfortable driving it. Granted he has quadra drive, but at one stoplight I completely stomped on it (4.7 HO) in the pouring rain, and hardly got a chirp

BigDaveZJ
12-23-2010, 10:15 PM
AP, my BFG experience is very similar to you and your dads. I posted my experiences in the thread I linked to early on in this one, but I'll share them here as well.

When my sister had her ZJ, AT/KO's. She went to college in the mountains of CO, nothing but good things to say about the tire. Are they excellent at any one aspect? Probably not, but they are good in a wide variety of scenarios.

I suggested my sister get those after I had good experiences with the original MT design on my ZJ. After my sister's experience, my dad put them on his XJ, and then later his ZJ. As soon as the tires that came on my F250 wore out, AT/KO's. They've served me well towing and commuting. My current commute has about a 5 mile section of dirt road, and it's CO so we get rain, snow, etc, never had an issue with traction in my truck. It can put some power to the ground too. Can I light them up in 2WD? Bet your ass I can, but I have over $7,000 invested in making that truck powerful. 4HI in the snow, no worries. We also ran them on Pam's ZJ for a while too after ditching some MT/R's. The Jeep performed much better on and off road with the BFG's.

Based on those experiences, as well as having MT's, KM's, and KM2's on my ZJ, as well as some of the things that BFG does for land use issues, I'll need a really good reason to not continue putting BFG's on everything I can.

ratmonkey
12-23-2010, 11:33 PM
I'm sorry but rat you must have some crazy pair of BFG's, are they old and dryrotted? That sounds nothing like any experience me/my dad have had with them.

My dads on his....12th? consecutive set of BFG AT's because he's never found anything better. He puts about 40k miles a year on them. Drives 100+ miles to a property he's working on (forestry), and wheels it like 5 hours a day, then drives the 100+ miles back on workdays. Including the winter months at 7000ft elevation, PLENTY of snow.

Hell I put 4 hours of road time in his jeep yesterday driving from Sacramento to Reno and back, and it was raining/snowing on me the entire time. I couldn't have been more comfortable driving it. Granted he has quadra drive, but at one stoplight I completely stomped on it (4.7 HO) in the pouring rain, and hardly got a chirp
They're 2.75yo based on the dot numbers. they've been a major disappointment from day one. But I know im not alone based upon feed back on jf.

We get more Yearly snow fall here than a good portion of colorado.

jsteves
12-23-2010, 11:35 PM
I too will echo my good experience with the BFG AT. I have em on my SD and love em. I think Dave said it right...not great at any one thing but a jack of all trades. Like em in the snow too...not that there has been any down here anyway.

AgitatedPancake
12-25-2010, 10:18 PM
They're 2.75yo based on the dot numbers. they've been a major disappointment from day one. But I know im not alone based upon feed back on jf.

Yeah, the properties my dad works are around the base of the Northstar @ tahoe ski resort which gets 350" of annual snowfall, but I don't think that makes a difference in how the tire works.

Sorry they don't work for ya.

SB406
12-28-2010, 12:05 PM

What pressure do you run them at? Bumping pressure up when you'll be towing weight/ down when running empty has made a big difference in tire wear & performance in my experience. on My 2500 Chev, I'm running 60psi rear, 50psi front for the winter. In the summer, I'll run the rears at 80 psi. I had them all at 45 psi when first mounted, but didn't like the extra little tread squirm.

The only bad experience I had with BFG was the BFG Commercial tires. I ran a set of them as steers on a 3500 Dodge van. They didn't grip for shit. You had to air them way down to keep from sliding through intersections on wet pavement. Of course, the chopped out funny due to the low pressure.

On a side note, The BFG's I put on a couple of weeks ago were stamped 4410 (44th week of 2010). Fresh outta the mold :D.

SB406
12-28-2010, 12:13 PM
11.5 wide

I missed this earlier. That might contribute to the poor snow performance you're getting. I'm only running 245/75 16's, So they're 2" narrower (less likely to float?)

SirFuego
12-28-2010, 12:16 PM
Mike, what's the load range on your tires? I know I was never able to run that high of a pressure in my old set of BFG AT's, but yours perhaps have a higher load range since they are being run on a bigger truck? I think the max PSI on my Cooper H/Ts is something like 45 psi. I'll run them around 35 psi around town and usually bump them up to 40 when I'm towing. They are rated for a weight of around 3k/tire, so I'm definitely not pushing the limits of the tire.

Tyler, I'm still sticking by my hypothesis that most folks who hate the BFG AT's are running wider tires. It seems that 10.5" is about as wide as folks are happy about snow performance. I've never heard a complaint from folks running 10" or narrower BFG AT's, either. But again, there are too many variables in play for the tire to work well in every situation. Maybe the BFG AT's don't like the type of lake effect snow that hits outside of New York :-)

SB406
12-28-2010, 12:22 PM
Load Range E.
Max psi cold: 80 psi

xjrev10
12-30-2010, 09:42 PM
I jumped on the BFG AT for the tow rig recently.

Tommy
12-30-2010, 09:53 PM
I have been nothing but happy with my 22.5's and semi traction tires on my dually. 20K+ miles and the nipples are still there. Balanced the fronts with sand and made a big difference. By far the best mod I have done to my tow rig. No more buying tires for me, I am set for years...

Maybe it was the amount of towing I was doing, but I couldnt get a good set of heavy truck tires in the 17" rim variety to last more than 25K...

Tommy

SB406
01-04-2011, 11:13 AM
I think the max PSI on my Cooper H/Ts is something like 45 psi. I'll run them around 35 psi around town and usually bump them up to 40 when I'm towing. They are rated for a weight of around 3k/tire, so I'm definitely not pushing the limits of the tire.

Jared, Can you double check this?
Size
Cold psi
Rating @ cold psi
Load Range

I'm curious if your big rimps play a part. 45 psi seems low for a tire to carry 3k lbs to me.

SirFuego
01-04-2011, 11:25 AM
I'll try to remember to look later. Here is something I found in the mean time:

http://www.crstire.com/productdetail.htm?productId=3167480
Part#: 19932
CONSTRUCTION: Radial
RIM SIZE: 20
TIRE SIZE: 275/60R20
SPEED RATING: T
MAX LOAD (SINGLE): 2726
OVERALL DIAMETER: 32.95
TREAD DEPTH: 12/32 in.
LOAD INDEX: 119
UTQG: 460 A B
SIDEWALL: BSW
REVs PER MILE: 632
RIM WIDTH (MIN): 7.5 in.
RIM WIDTH (MAX): 9.5 in.
RIM WIDTH (STANDARD): 8 in.
SECTION WIDTH: 11
TREAD WIDTH: 9.3
MAX PRESSURE (SINGLE): 50 psi

So I guess I was off by about 5 psi. Maybe I'll boost up the psi a bit more. Interestingly, though, Cooper lists the max load as 2998 on their website for that size. They are a load range "XL" -- which I'm guessing is a Cooper-specific thing.

I'll try to remember to check the tires actually say, though, next time I get in the truck.

SB406
01-04-2011, 11:48 AM
Or a ply rating, if they don't have a letter.

Also, this:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=55

hokie98zj
01-05-2011, 01:29 AM
not on a tow rig but used to run 32x11.5 bfg a/ts on my zj for about 2 years.did great in the snow and had a ton of life still left in them when i sold them.never had a problem with them in anything and drove them up and down my road covered in snow all day