PDA

View Full Version : Welding Equipment Q

ZJ TINS
02-04-2009, 02:53 PM
Ok, now I go the welder, Helmet and gloves, anything else?

Seen leather sleeves and cotton weld jackets seem reasonable for safety (like $20 total).

Will also get stiff wire brush.
Are those little weld hammers usefull or just use my small ball peen?

A couple magnet angle holders?

Anything else (usefull)

Buehler , Buehler?

Brad S
02-04-2009, 03:17 PM
c-clamps come in helpful to me.
paint marker

the clothing kind of depends on how much you weld / how little you want to injure yourself. Wearing a hat backwards can help to protect the noggin. I've welded in t-shirts before, but whatever floats your boat. I would recommend always wearing good boots and pants that don't have any way for slag and sparks to get into your socks. That is NO fun.

CurtP
02-04-2009, 03:36 PM
I would recommend always wearing good boots and pants that don't have any way for slag and sparks to get into your socks. That is NO fun.
It's no fun getting one in your shirt pocket either.

Yes, I think it's good to have a chipping (slag) hammer. An absolute must if you arc weld.

OverkillZJ
02-04-2009, 04:11 PM
I've got enough scars from welding, get a good jacket...

jborushko
02-04-2009, 04:14 PM
ha ha... dont wear Chuck All Stars to weld in. i had a piece of slag fall, burn its way through my shoe and land in between two toes. now i have a cigarette size burn hole through both toes... not fun. now its nothing but steel toe Bellevilles for me.

you probably already have one but its a good addition to the list none the less:

an angle grinder 4"-4.5"

i also like large vice grips to use as clamps

slim616
02-04-2009, 08:18 PM
i was kneeling down when splater burned down through my jeans, then my underwear, then it hit my balls. At that point i jumped up from the pain and the splater rolled down my leg burning spots as it went. It finally went down my Boot were it proceeded to burn through my sock and into my foot. All this could of been advoided if i had a leather smock on. Also be careful when you welding over head that you have ear plugs or something in. Trust me you don't want to know how it feels when a hot spark goes into your ear canal.

also vise grips, c clamps and magnits are helpful.

ZJ TINS
02-04-2009, 10:40 PM
Nice ideas, tnx guys. c clamps, steel toe boots, paint pen, another set of vise grips, check on the chip hammer, and i am gonna can my harbor freight POS grinder and get a DeWalt. ThinksI will try the leather sleeves and fire resistent cotton jacket. First burn through and I'll get leather.

Now all I gotta do is put in a 50 amp fuse and 30-40 feet of 6 gauge!

ATL ZJ
02-04-2009, 11:14 PM
Don't throw away the HF grinder. Keep it and use a different type wheel/disc on each.

OverkillZJ
02-04-2009, 11:25 PM
Yup. I have 3 or 4 grinders, just keep them loaded up with different mediums.

OverkillZJ
02-04-2009, 11:26 PM
Now all I gotta do is put in a 50 amp fuse and 30-40 feet of 6 gauge!

You're lucky that's all you need to pull! I pulled 4 guage, because it went to two locations, the last of which was over 100'.

dmntxn77
02-05-2009, 12:29 AM
A welding blanket or two is always nice to protect anything close that you dont want to catch on fire. They are great for covering your engine when welding under the hood.

Dont waste your time with the sleeves, just get a jacket/shirt... It is way eaiser to put on. You dont really want to wait until you burn your arm to protect it do you? Plus, if you have a long project planned, you will need to protect yourself against the UV rays. They will "sunburn" you.

Also, I wear a welding apron. Ive had slag burn through my jeans plenty of times so the reason of the apron should be clear. There are just some places that you REALLY dont want a slag burn.... If you are seated, a welding blanket across the lap will serve the same purpose.

Other that what is listed, a few other handy tools that come to mind are: F-clamps, spot welding pliers, and a magnetic ground block.

Harbor Freight will be your friend for these welding supplies.

dmntxn77
02-05-2009, 12:34 AM
BTW, like already said, dont toss the HF grinder... I have 4 of them. One has a cutting wheel on it, one has a grinding disc, another with a flapper disc, and the last one is usually wearing a wire cup or wire wheel..

At $10 each (normal HF sale) their angle grinders cant be beat... Most of their angle grinder accessories are pretty good too, but their cut-off wheels SUCK!!!

jborushko
02-05-2009, 04:52 AM
here here on the shitty ness of HF cut off wheels, i get some good dewalt ones... i did this, and was still able to finish cutting for about 10 minuets after i broke it. http://i714.photobucket.com/albums/ww141/once_with_words/Photo072.jpg?t=1233823717
i think the HF [cutting wheels] are made from sand that they poor glue on to. dont be afraid to get the warrenty on the HF grinder or saw either, i went through 4 grinders in a year last year

nate
02-05-2009, 05:38 AM
Only time I did that to a HF cut off wheel was when the grinder fell off the bench and landed on the wheel.

They don't last as long as good ones, but $3 for a pack of 10 vs $3 per... not too bad.

Z
02-05-2009, 08:55 AM
My DeWalt grinder lasted 1-2 years then the switch failed (I assume the metal shavings got to it) - and I don't do a huge amount of grinding. My Home Depot Rigid grinder has served me very well for a long time now - and I think it was made in the USA.

slim616
02-05-2009, 09:49 AM
Only time I did that to a HF cut off wheel was when the grinder fell off the bench and landed on the wheel.

They don't last as long as good ones, but $3 for a pack of 10 vs $3 per... not too bad.

I had a few do that but like you said, you can't beat the price since I have a HF right down the street from me. For grinding or cutting i stick with the dewalt but for sanding the HF one is fine. The key is not to use them for long peroids of time because it burns out the brushes inside.

ZJ TINS
02-05-2009, 02:29 PM
From day one the HF grinder felt like it was missing bearings. Unloaded its rough, and try and grind with any pressure the wheel slows down. Maybe I will keep it for stricktly cutting, a carbide blade or the thin cuttgin wheel cuts the working resistance way down.

I'll have to look into the Dewalt vs Ridgid, see if either is made or at least assembled in America.

May just look into a cotton weld jacket and leather apron. The weld glove come several inches up the arm. But an all leather jacket its gonna get hot. Not into production welding so some comprimise is the goal.

Z
02-05-2009, 03:38 PM
I've also seen Porter Cable units made in the US and I think I might have seen a Bosch made in US.

kfab
02-05-2009, 05:53 PM
aha finally my kind of subject im a welder :D well for gloves dont buy big thick ones for mig or tig only use the thick ones for stick trust me itll burn the hell out of your hand for mig ust the lightest leather gloves you can find and also for grinder at my school we only use milwalkee ive had them alll and milwalkee grinders seem to last forever also if your going to be a good amount of stick welding get you a small rod oven for your 7018 it makes a difference

CurtP
02-05-2009, 06:19 PM
I've also seen Porter Cable units made in the US and I think I might have seen a Bosch made in US.

My 4.5" 12 amp Milwaukee grinder is made in the USA. I don't know if they still are or not.

ZJ TINS
02-05-2009, 07:12 PM
Side note, if you dont have a plasma cutter (i dont) I have been buyin those metal cutting blades for my 7 1/4 circular saw. They cut really fast, also get used up really fast. Again I am not in a production enviornment so the value seems right. For some things I cant reach, the 4 1/2 grinder with cutting blade works.

I am getting ahead of myself but think I will try to conjure up a front a bumper, not sure if i can get it done by GSW, gotta learn to weld first. So meanwhile its gonna be searching the stores for made in USA grinders.

Z
02-05-2009, 07:22 PM
Side note, if you dont have a plasma cutter (i dont) I have been buyin those metal cutting blades for my 7 1/4 circular saw. They cut really fast, also get used up really fast. Again I am not in a production enviornment so the value seems right. For some things I cant reach, the 4 1/2 grinder with cutting blade works.

I am getting ahead of myself but think I will try to conjure up a front a bumper, not sure if i can get it done by GSW, gotta learn to weld first. So meanwhile its gonna be searching the stores for made in USA grinders.

The metal dust will probably wreak havoc with the electronics of your circular saw.

ZJ TINS
02-06-2009, 12:38 AM
A can of electronics cleaner is your friend (kinda the duct tape of electronics, or is is RTV is the duct tape of electronics). Course the only thing electronic is the on/off switch and the brushes. Also shop air works well.