PDA

View Full Version : Oldie but goodie welder

ZJ TINS
02-04-2009, 12:32 AM
Just got my hands on this piece of beef. 220v AC. Got tired of looking for AC/DC and finally gave up. So it takes more expertise, I'll just have to develop skills.

It weighs well over 150 lbs. Got it for $100. My guess is the copper @ scrap price ($1.44/lb) it worth more as scrap than as a functional welder. So if it breaks I am the richer for it .

The top is cast iron, note the sexy wheel covers. Marquette was bought by Lincoln in 04 I think. Its current limited by individual inductors. Damn near fool proof, and is rated at 50% duty cycle.:smt103

Cant wait to give it a try. Also found a auto helmet from northern tool, comes highly rated by a few welder sites.

San Juan Grand
02-04-2009, 01:54 AM
I have a old Craftsman 220v ac welder (only 20% duty cycle) , it didn't take long to develop enough skills to built a set of bumpers with it.

CurtP
02-04-2009, 01:08 PM
Nice find. How old is it? Post some more pictures and how well it welds when you get it set up.

MoonWorks
02-04-2009, 01:28 PM
It does look pretty old. Screw it...if it works good than who cares how old it is.

Did you find a build date or anything stamped on it?

ZJ TINS
02-04-2009, 02:42 PM
60s or early, only move part is the wheels and on/off switch.
Read a web page where some guy found an identicle one and claims he used old moldy rods without cleaning and they worked great.
The guy I bought it from finally bought a new AC/DC plasma. He is heavy into his kids off road, go karts,atv etc. Been rebuilding frames and such and has broadened out to barter/sell his services. He a ran a few short 1/8" rod welds of 1/4 plate while i was there. Looks as good as anything I have seen. Just got tired of looking for DC or MIG that I could afford. There are several shops in town selling Lincoln rods so I will go get them instead of cheap stuff, that shoud make up somewhat for being AC. But WTH its big current machine, 230V (got to run a line next), new leads, and cheap. I dont mind spending time learning a craft so am very pleased. When I get it cleaned up I will get some inside photos. The plate on top is reccomend rod size vs current (each hole is a constant current for the hot lead). I will first clean the plate then try a permanent marker to make it more pronounced since its stamped aluminum or steel plate. If not, I have the direct phone for Marquette division of Lincoln and just get a phota of the piece and make a placard.

The helmet is this:http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200311850_200311850&issearch=1649902
On weld world(?) forum this was reccomended and a comment was a couple guys compared it to their $300 helmets and wondered why they even need them.

Soon as the temp gets above 20 I'll clean it and get some shots (-2 today, F___!!!).

Also found it off Craigslist, second nice buy, screw Ebay.

MoonWorks
02-04-2009, 04:51 PM
I've got one in the shop from northern that's basically just like that. Same damn flames and everything. Personally, I like it better than the Horbart that's in the shop as well.

ZJ TINS
04-24-2009, 01:45 PM
I have the weld pics on my bumper build thread but holy crap batman it's got power.

I was running 100 amp for probably 45 minutes essentially straight (minus rod changes) and not a whimper!

The only issue is I dont have 1/16" rod for welding to the body and have to play around, 45 amps and use a second scrap metal stick, and the act like i am tig welding, and still easily get burn through with 3/32". This is the the body stuff not the somewhat thicker frame sheet metal. That metal I should be able to do ok. I am so stoked, still learning alot but so rewarding.

Other issue is second pass gotta almost grind it down a little to make sure the slag is clear. Luckily do not have much of that left. With proper setup, cleanliness single pass get good penetration and plenty of volume.

I can see where Mig is king but after searching for over a year I ended up with a $100 unit thay does most of what I want vs $700+ (for a good 200 amp mig). An the massive current rating, no down time. Not sure what a 200 amp decent Mig can do (course is can probably use less current for its wire.)

For anyone who wants to try to weld on a budget, I have no problem reccomending finding and older ac unit stick unit. If you are going to weld alot, then you may want to think about saving for a good mig (forget the cheap crap for long term use, there are other threads on th is subject anyway.)

Thanks for everyone input to on all my threads, it really helped . Especially the safety equipment.
A high collar cotton weld jacket does great at keeping the sparks when grinding too.
Save you scrap get a doo rag or hat with reverse brim.
Weld gaunlets, leather, leather apron when doing the heavy metal.
Auto helmet, the one mentioned earlier works great.
Steel toed boots Kmart special, look ma no burns!

ATL ZJ
04-24-2009, 02:02 PM
I can see where Mig is king

not necessarily. There is a lot you can do with stick that you can't do with a MIG machine (anything involving nickel rod) and there is a ton you can do with TIG that is superior to MIG welds on the same material. But yes, I think what you are getting at is that good MIG equipment is an excellent substitute for skill.

ZJ TINS
04-24-2009, 04:12 PM
hahahah good thing I am going to for skill!