PDA

View Full Version : Sandblaster

Brad S
02-03-2009, 02:53 PM
Anyone use one of these?

http://s.sears.com/is/image/Sears/00998124000?hei=250&wid=250&op_sharpen=1&qlt=90,0&resMode=sharp&op_usm=0.9,0.5,0,0

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00998124000P?vName=Tools&cName=Compressors&AirTools&sName=Automotive%20Air%20Tools&psid=FROOGLE01&sid=IDx20070921x00003a

Just wondering. I'm looking for a more efficient and effective way to clean metal before welding etc. Any tips would be great!

OverkillZJ
02-03-2009, 02:56 PM
I have the same one, it actually works better than you'd expect, but you MUST have a good air compressor to keep up with it. I used it to sandblast an entire 18' flatbed. It's a painful experience though, haha.

Brad S
02-03-2009, 03:04 PM
What'd you wear? Did you just do it outside?

OverkillZJ
02-03-2009, 03:07 PM
Jump suit and face mask, and still had to hose myself off before going in the house. It's like an exploding sand shower.

canadian_driver
02-03-2009, 03:08 PM
i have a similar one, they work well like Matt said, but they are best for small parts, it took me like 45 minutes to clean up a knuckle. oh and very messy, i wore a face shield hat and respirator and was still pulling sand out of ever hole in my head and every pocket i was wearing

Brad S
02-03-2009, 03:20 PM
How well does it clean parts up? Does it work for cleaning things that have already been welded up, such as cleaning off spatter, etc?
Does it leave the surface pretty pitted or does it smooth it out?

Sorry for the plethora of questions! :)

canadian_driver
02-03-2009, 04:30 PM
i dont think mine would clean up spatter.

depending on what blasting material you use will help determin how the surface is, i use baking soda for paint on sheet metal and that works and leaves an almost untouched metal, for cleaning things like calipers and knuckles i use a white sand, it leaves a slightly pitted surface but nothing that primer wouldn't cover. i like the white sand because its cheap and you can tell by the colour of the sand that comes off what you are taking off (stripping orange paint the white sand turns orange, but if you hit metal or rust it changes colours)

Brad S
02-03-2009, 04:35 PM
interesting...

The only reason I asked about spatter is for hard to reach corners and angles. Any other thoughts?

OverkillZJ
02-03-2009, 04:39 PM
if it's spatter in a corner and the blaster doesn't knock it off, primer and paint will stick, so who cares?

jborushko
02-03-2009, 05:00 PM
what kind of compressor would be good enough? i got a 19 gal, 3 hp, it kicks out 4.3 CFM @ 40 PSI- 3.3 CFM @ 90 PSI max 125psi.... will this work? only ever had a sand blaster at the shop and i believe the shop compressor was like the compressor god used to chissle out the grand canion

and read the second review on that page :
"Purchased this gun and like the other reviewer, I got about 3/4 way through a bag of sand and the ceramic nozzle was worn out. Went back to Sears expecting to purchase a pack of ten or so nozzles, but they did not carry replacements. The sales clerk said I would have to go another Sears that had a parts department or order them by phone or online. Tried ordering them online but the model # of the gun would not come up on there model# search. Still looking for extra nozzles. My recommendation is to purchase from a different manufacturer that has replacement parts."

rccolacc
02-03-2009, 05:38 PM
I think where your compressor may run into trouble is with the duty cycle. With only putting out 3.3cfm @90psi, the compressor's probably going to be on solid the whole time you're using the blaster. I bet it's not rated for 100% duty cycle...
-RC

Brad S
02-03-2009, 05:44 PM
and read the second review on that page :
"Purchased this gun and like the other reviewer, I got about 3/4 way through a bag of sand and the ceramic nozzle was worn out. Went back to Sears expecting to purchase a pack of ten or so nozzles, but they did not carry replacements. The sales clerk said I would have to go another Sears that had a parts department or order them by phone or online. Tried ordering them online but the model # of the gun would not come up on there model# search. Still looking for extra nozzles. My recommendation is to purchase from a different manufacturer that has replacement parts."

I think you are looking at the gun made by Craftsman, not JET. The one I was looking at was made by JET. Not that I know who the crap JET is, but there wasn't any negative reviews...

ZJ TINS
02-04-2009, 12:23 AM
You need 11 cu feet or better to really work.
I have a cheapy version and it ok for spot jobs but not a whole bumper

jborushko
02-04-2009, 12:30 AM
I think you are looking at the gun made by Craftsman, not JET. The one I was looking at was made by JET. Not that I know who the crap JET is, but there wasn't any negative reviews...

oh so i was! sorry

but thanks for the compressor info, i lied about mine its a 27 gal that Delivers 5.0 CFM @ 40 PSI, 3.2 CFM at 90 PSI. 125 PSI maximum pressure... still not enough though

nate
02-04-2009, 03:13 AM
Hell no. My brother sandblasted a frame a couple years ago and my Dad's 60gal 2 cylinder compressor wasn't enough.

ZJ TINS
02-04-2009, 10:01 AM
Sand blasting takes a HUGE amout of air. I have a spot one which is fantastic for r small hard to reach ares but we are talking about a few square inches.

auggeren911
02-04-2009, 01:02 PM
Most sandblasting companys will recomend that you have a 12 to 15 cfm compressor with 3/4 inch air line. If you don't have that you can always go to a small nozzle such as a 4mm or 5mm to keep some of your pressure up. I have a 42 gallon comp that puts out 5 cfm and it's sucks ball when it comes to sandblasting. I got a small hand held to work with a small nozzle but it was not worth the effort. In my ming a ideal compressor would be a 60 to 80 gallon dual stage 5 hp motor.

CurtP
02-04-2009, 01:02 PM
Jet is a well known company when it comes to blasting equipment, but it's fairly low-end. I think most of their stuff is now imported.

Some information about air consumption: http://www.tptools.com/StaticText/AirConsum.aspx

A big part of the air consumption will be the size of the nozzle and siphon air jet. My 3HP (100% DC) 60 gallon IR single-stage compressor can barely keep up with a small nozzle/jet (6-8 CFM). Make sure whatever head you get that you can not only get replacement nozzles, but the siphon air jets too. Typically you'll need to replace the siphon jet after you go through 3-5 nozzles.

As you use the blast gun, the nozzle and siphon jet will wear to a larger size and will require more CFM. I can typically get about 2 hours of continuous use out of a ceramic nozzle before my compressor can no longer keep up. You can get carbide nozzles too - they last a really long time. You'll wear out 3-4 siphon air jets before you wear out the nozzle. I wish they made carbide siphon jets too.

You'll also need to make sure your air supply is dry. At least that's really important on a recovery type setup (like a blast cabinet).

Personally, I like the Skat Blast equipment made by TP Tools. Made in USA and I've great luck with them and their ceramic nozzles last at least twice as long as the Chinese made nozzles (same with the siphon jets). I'd love to have the extra money laying around so I could buy one of their blast cabinet setups. I'd have to buy another air compressor to support it though.