PDA

View Full Version : 46RH hard/late shift

OverlandXJ
01-28-2009, 11:18 PM
One of my ZJ's is a 93 5.2L and i believe the 46RH..correct?

Anyway, it has a hard/late shift from 2nd to 3rd. If i slightly get off the accelerator it'll shift.. or if i wait till it hits a higher rpm than normal shifting would take place. It's been doing this since spring or so when i first picked this Jeep up... it hasnt seemed to get any worse.

The fluid looked and smelled clean, ZJ was always dealer maintained. I asked about this elsewhere back then and was advised to throw in some Lucas trans treatment. No change with it.

I'm hoping this may be something easy? to fix, maybe a band adjustment or solenoid replacement. I do plan to change filter and fluid once the weather warms, but i was hoping it was a common issue and you guys could put me on the right path.

Appreciate it..

hkszx2
01-28-2009, 11:34 PM
Id try adjusting the bands to see if it helps...but it could be the start of some of the clutches failing and sliping

indy242003
01-29-2009, 11:46 AM
Id try adjusting the bands to see if it helps...but it could be the start of some of the clutches failing and sliping

I'm not sure that they are slipping. If they were it would not shift hard. It would pick up RPM and slide into the next gear if it were slipping. It sounds like a solenoid not working properly.

The Dude
01-29-2009, 01:15 PM
Id make sure the kickdown cable was adjusted too.

Spr-T-23
01-29-2009, 03:09 PM
not to hijack and all but my 96 5.2 does that in the 1st to 2nd shift. any ideas on that?

OverlandXJ
01-29-2009, 03:19 PM
I'm not sure that they are slipping. If they were it would not shift hard. It would pick up RPM and slide into the next gear if it were slipping. It sounds like a solenoid not working properly.

It's not a jerking hard shift but when it does shift it's solid. Doesnt feel like a slip that i'v ever experienced as it'll continue to gain speed as RPM rises.

Are the solenoids somewhat easy to swap? How many are there...and they are external? I lost my FSM in a harddrive crash, i'll have to download another copy.

Dude.. i tried the kickdown cable first, no change.

nate
01-29-2009, 10:19 PM
I'd say trans is wearing out and bypassing oil somewhere so it's taking longer to build pressure.

Check the line pressures and see what it's doing.