PDA

View Full Version : does $6500 seem a bit high?

eat work jeep sleep
01-26-2009, 08:14 PM
thinking of buying this but, it seems a bit high. asking for opinions.

ground up restoration. 1981 cj7 firberglass body, 30K on motor, Chevy 350 crate bored 30 over, aluminum heads, eldelbrock intake, holly 750 carb, turbo 400 tranny with 1Kmi on it, no smoke no leaks.
35in tsl super swampers, 4in lift kit, shackle reversal kit , bikini top, hard doors and hard top. every nut and bolt is brand new. http://images.craigslist.org/3k13o43ld1fb12b1gb91mfca5199b785619d2.jpg

tried talking him down to a still generous $5500 but he wont budge. says he put 14K into it which i can believe but I have just as much wrapped up into my zj and i bet i couldnt get more than 4K for it. anyways. opinions? thanks

indy242003
01-26-2009, 08:30 PM
Well, I have a ton of money in my WJ and would not sell it for less then 10k. It's worth it to him and you sure as hell could not build it for that. The question is will someone else pay that for it. When you build an off road vehicle be prepared to get a lot less than you have in it for it. Just hard to let it go for half what you have in it. I think it is priced well for someone that loves CJ's, but if they are just ok then it maybe a little high.

LouisianaZJ
01-26-2009, 09:21 PM
CJ/TJ/YJ always go for way more than a comparable XJ/WJ/ZJ

ATL ZJ
01-26-2009, 09:47 PM
No doubt that thing has a lot of money in it, but there is no way I'd touch it for even 5000. Just not my style.

rstrucks
01-26-2009, 09:51 PM
tried talking him down to a still generous $5500 but he wont budge. says he put 14K into it which i can believe but I have just as much wrapped up into my zj and i bet i couldnt get more than 4K for it. anyways. opinions? thanks

If you really want it sounds like you're going to have to pony up the $6500. I bet that if you gave him a (business) card with your $5500 offer and just waited him out, your phone would ring in a few weeks. You do risk losing it to another buyer that way too though.

ELLLLLIOTTTTT
01-26-2009, 09:52 PM
No doubt that thing has a lot of money in it, but there is no way I'd touch it for even 5000. Just not my style.

X2. What would you do with it? It doesn't really look that wheelable or streetable.

speedmontzj
02-03-2009, 05:26 PM
if you want a street beater it might be alright. those things are priced high around here also and he will prolly get that. i would stay away for that if you want something to wheel. you could put a g or 2 with that and get something with tons and a nice cage, although the body might be a little beat up.

fyi, there was a guy here locally that paid 10k for a cj7 with 10b's and a th350/305. it was nice and pretty and he was driving around showing it off like it was the deal of the year. i think he got fucked but he was happy.

JordanA
02-03-2009, 06:08 PM
I honestly would say that is a good price for a frame off restoration vehicle with less than 30K miles on it. If it is pristine and the guy has all the paperwork from the rebuild, I'd say go for it.

IMO though, this would be a true beach cruiser or mallcrawler, not a hard core 4x4, although I'm sure it'd be more than capable to get you anywhere you needed to go. It'd be fun, that's for sure.

IndyZJ
02-03-2009, 06:57 PM
What axles and tcase does it have? Fiberglass bodies can bring the suck for actual wheeling, especially if it's a cheap one. It's also way too high to be even half-way stable on the street or trail, but you could always go back to spring under or jut get flatter springs. The carb wouldn't be much fun, and theCJ frame isn't the best platform for a built rig. With the listed parts and style of the thing, it looks like show queen/ mud rig. Unless you'd want to lower it down about 6" and make it a street cruiser, I'd pass.