PDA

View Full Version : Bending 12 ga sheet metal

Z
01-16-2009, 11:59 PM
I need to put two 45 degree bends in some 12 ga sheet metal to create a center section for my winch bumper. The sheet will be about 30 inches wide. I don't have access to a brake. Anyone have any suggestions? I presume 12 gauge is a little too thick to sandwich between two pieces of angle iron and then bend by hand?

IndyZJ
01-17-2009, 12:29 AM
Take it to a local fab shop that has a press brake and have them do it for you. The one down the street from me will put a bend or two in just about any thickness plate for $10.

Or score the lines with a grinder, bend by hand, then weld the gap.

paulkeith
01-17-2009, 01:50 AM
Or score the lines with a grinder, bend by hand, then weld the gap.

x2.

rstrucks
01-17-2009, 02:33 PM
If you're looking for clean results take it to a shop that has a brake. If you don't need it to be perfect you can do it at home. Heat will help, so will leverage. Or you can do what has already been said and score it.

nate
01-17-2009, 08:09 PM
This center section is just comesmetic?? (I'm assuming so since it's pretty thin)

Could just cut it and weld it together and then flapper wheel the side people will see. I've done that with good results.

adam99wj
01-17-2009, 08:20 PM
This center section is just comesmetic?? (I'm assuming so since it's pretty thin)

Could just cut it and weld it together and then flapper wheel the side people will see. I've done that with good results.

i agree with this