PDA

View Full Version : good height for outlets

Katesdad
01-15-2009, 11:47 AM
Im thinking 42-48 inches from the floor. Something above normal counter height/work bench. Im planning right now to put almost everything that touches the ground on casters except my 2 lathes. I think the more mobile the better.

grandmaster
01-15-2009, 01:14 PM
I would say thats good, you definately want them above your bench. Also might consider adding a few up in the rafters if possible, its always nice to have those for drop lights and such.

rstrucks
01-15-2009, 03:10 PM
Are there any codes/reg's you have to be aware of? Other than that I'd say as long as they would clear benches and stuff like that you'd be good.

Mtn WJ
01-15-2009, 03:13 PM
In a garage or shop I match the outlet height with the light switch height. Looks better and much easier to get to even with out a bench. Nothing worse than bending over in a shop. Other guys dont want to see that anyway.

jsteves
01-15-2009, 03:19 PM
In a garage or shop I match the outlet height with the light switch height. Looks better and much easier to get to even with out a bench. Nothing worse than bending over in a shop. Other guys dont want to see that anyway.

Yep. Mine are all in line with the light switches!

Stealth Crawler ZJ
01-16-2009, 04:26 PM
Personally I put mine at light switch height as well as the rafters or ceiling and keep my tool boxes mobile! not only does it make easier to reach but also for washing the rig spraying the floor ect. and the code is usually 24" at least but higher is ok!

:smt026

nate
01-17-2009, 08:27 PM
I usually just keep an extension cord on a 20 amp outlet and use that. Seems that I'm often in the middle of the garage and the cord on whatever I'm using would be way too short anyhow.

Couple over the workbenches is nice. Figure workbench height being around 36-40"... so I'd put the outlets at 48-50" at least. It's a pain moving stuff on the bench to get to the plug

cLAYH
01-18-2009, 01:52 AM
Mine are all light switch height. Also they are all double outlets(4 in one spot). I also have an outlet in the rafters for the garage door opener. Next to the opener and plugged into the same outlet is a hanging cord reel. For portable light I have a fluorescent trouble light on a 24" cord that plugs into the cord reel. Very handy.